Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Greece in new crackdown on smokers and tobacco ads

Greece in new crackdown on smokers and tobacco ads

Zulus Vulva

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11148448

Greece in new crackdown on smokers and tobacco ads

Previous attempts to impose partial bans were largely ignored in
Greece
A new law has come into force in Greece banning smoking in enclosed
public spaces and tobacco advertising.

It is the second such attempt to curb tobacco addiction in Europe's
biggest-smoking nation in just over a year.

Smokers who break the law could be fined hundreds of euros and
businesses may have to pay several thousand.

But restaurant and cafe owners say they are being targeted at a time
of economic crisis.

It is estimated that more than 40% of Greek adults smoke - well above
the EU's average of 29%.

'Changing attitudes'
The Greek government says the smoking ban is aimed at protecting
public health.

It adds that - like a recently adopted austerity plan to repair a near-
bankrupt economy - the smoking ban will help Greeks to consider the
consequences of their actions.

"It will contribute to the work we're doing that's aimed at changing
attitudes, norms and behaviour to improve our quality of life," Prime
Minister George Papandreou said on Tuesday.

From Wednesday, those caught violating the new law face fines of up to
500 euros (£413; $636). Businesses may have to pay up to 10,000 euros.

The government says the measure is needed after previous efforts to
impose a partial smoking ban have been largely ignored.

But bar and cafe owners say they are being unfairly targeted.

"What I believe is that it [the ban] will harm places that are
strongly connected with drinking and entertainment in general,"
Christos Giannakouris, a bar owner in Athens, told the Associated
Press.

Waitress Artemis Livardou said there were other ways of protecting non-
smokers without resorting to an outright ban.

"Although I would support a law that would prohibit smoking in some
places, I think owners of these places should be given the choice to
create zones for smokers and non-smokers. Thus, we smokers could find
and choose the place which we would like to go to."

Attila Jozsef

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Zulus Vulva <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

Please don't post spam to rec.photo.digital

Twibil

On Sep 1, 11:16*pm, Val Hallah <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Please don't post spam to rec.photo.digital

> is this better ?

Depends: Is Ebola better than Peritonitis?

Runge 124

"Val Hallah" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion :
43a8124b-6207-4161-bdd3-6db314d6b7e2...oglegroups.com...
> On Sep 2, 2:13 am, Attila Jozsef
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Zulus Vulva <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Please don't post spam to rec.photo.digital

> is this better ?

Should all smokers be taken out and shot? RichA Digital Photography 26 08-10-2010 01:46 PM
can send emaails to other countries, ie greece but caan not receicefrom greece KOS Computer Support 8 05-21-2009 06:44 AM
crackdown neville Computer Support 0 04-30-2005 06:49 PM
cheap tobacco dave Computer Support 6 08-10-2003 09:49 PM
re cheap tobacco dave Computer Support 11 08-10-2003 07:31 PM

Advertisments