Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft: “Android Is Not Free”

Microsoft: “Android Is Not Free”

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Microsoft will be charging makers of Windows Phone 7 handsets USD15 a copy,
and it is claiming this is better than Google, which doesn’t charge by the
copy at all
<http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1730482/microsoft-claims-googles-android-free>.
Desperation, or what?

victor

On 2/09/2010 8:21 a.m., Mutlley wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> Microsoft will be charging makers of Windows Phone 7 handsets USD15 a copy,
>> and it is claiming this is better than Google, which doesnt charge by the
>> copy at all
>> <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1730482/microsoft-claims-googles-android-free>.
>> Desperation, or what?

> Desperation I think. I suspect Windows Phone will be a flop . Too
> little too late..

Its Desperate Astroturfing
The marketplace is worse for them now than when they had a market of
businesses that thought they needed Office and Exchange on phones and
even then they got their butts kicked by Blackberrys.
iPhone comes with the iTunes store and Apps store, ipad, ipod sibs
massive range of dock accessories and much fashion points. Can't edit
Google Docs, can't play flash
An Android phone comes with Google Maps Docs Search Earth Gmail Apps and
Cyanogen crack. Device drivers are inside the phone for Qualcomm to sort
out, its not a PC with optional video cards, so that piece of FUD is
easily discarded.
The Windows phone isn't released yet and comes with previous Microsoft form.
Perhaps they will charge $15 for the OEM version, but for $600 you can
load Windows Phone Ultimate Gamers Edition onto your Android Phone.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mutlley wrote:

> I suspect Windows Phone will be a flop . Too little too late..

I think so too. It’s consciously following Apple’s model of a closed,
centrally-controlled ecosystem. That has worked well for Apple, up to a
point. But Microsoft is doing this just as Apple’s i-products are losing
market share to a much more open and flexible alternative, namely Android.

It’s also worth looking at Microsoft’s previous attempt to copy Apple, by
abandoning its whole “Plays For Sure” family of third-party Windows Media
players in favour of its own Zune. That didn’t work well either.

Sweetpea

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:21:47 +1200, Mutlley wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>Microsoft will be charging makers of Windows Phone 7 handsets USD15 a
>>copy, and it is claiming this is better than Google, which doesn’t
>>charge by the copy at all
>><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...rosoft-claims-

googles-android-free>.
>>Desperation, or what?

> Desperation I think. I suspect Windows Phone will be a flop . Too
> little too late..

Agreed.

Mind you, Micro$oft's gaming version of M$ Windows ("X-Box") is also a
flop - financially speaking but M$ continues to prop it up.

Sweetpea

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:11:44 +1200, victor wrote:

> The Windows phone isn't released yet and comes with previous Microsoft
> form. Perhaps they will charge $15 for the OEM version, but for $600 you
> can load Windows Phone Ultimate Gamers Edition onto your Android Phone.

LOL! I wonder how close to the truth that really will be? I wouldn't be
at all surprised if they do something like that!

bAZZ

says...

> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:21:47 +1200, Mutlley wrote:
>
> > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> >
> >>Microsoft will be charging makers of Windows Phone 7 handsets USD15 a
> >>copy, and it is claiming this is better than Google, which doesn?t
> >>charge by the copy at all
> >><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...rosoft-claims-

> googles-android-free>.
> >>Desperation, or what?

> > Desperation I think. I suspect Windows Phone will be a flop . Too
> > little too late..

> Agreed.
>
> Mind you, Micro$oft's gaming version of M$ Windows ("X-Box") is also a
> flop - financially speaking but M$ continues to prop it up.

Cite ?

bAZZ

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...

>> googles-android-free>.
>> > Desperation I think. I suspect Windows Phone will be a flop . Too
>> > little too late..

>> Agreed.
>> Mind you, Micro$oft's gaming version of M$ Windows ("X-Box") is also a
>> flop - financially speaking but M$ continues to prop it up.

>Cite ?

I don't have one (sorry), but do remember seeing this in (possibly) the
business pages of a newspaper somewhere (?). I recall seeing a large $
number for the "subsidy" ... and I think the reason given was something like
... it's a market where MS must maintain a precence ?