Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus E-3 becomes TV and movie "non-brand."

Olympus E-3 becomes TV and movie "non-brand."

RichA

Three times I've seen E-3's with the name blacked out in TV shows and
movies. Odd, how they wouldn't want the name out there.

John A.

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 00:10:02 -0700, bobwilliams <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>> Three times I've seen E-3's with the name blacked out in TV shows and
>> movies. Odd, how they wouldn't want the name out there.

>Perhaps, the TV producer would have to pay Olympus for using their name.
>OTOH, maybe the producer tried to get Oly to pay an advertising fee and
>they refused.

Generally the product maker pays the show for product placement, not
the other way around. Shows routinely cover up or replace branding to
maintain that potential source of revenue.

Or, in the case of Lost, for narrative purposes.

Peter

"bobwilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> RichA wrote:
>> Three times I've seen E-3's with the name blacked out in TV shows and
>> movies. Odd, how they wouldn't want the name out there.

> Perhaps, the TV producer would have to pay Olympus for using their name.
> OTOH, maybe the producer tried to get Oly to pay an advertising fee and
> they refused.

More likely, the latter. Product placement is a big business.

--
Peter

John Turco

RichA wrote:

> Three times I've seen E-3's with the name blacked out in TV shows and
> movies. Odd, how they wouldn't want the name out there.

Do you think that Olympus is a major TV sponsor, nowadays? Hell, the
struggling outfit is just trying to >survive<!

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Alfred Molon wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Turco says...
>
> > Do you think that Olympus is a major TV sponsor, nowadays? Hell, the
> > struggling outfit is just trying to >survive<!

> They seem to be doing quite well, especially with their micro 4/3 line
> of cameras...

In the current DSLR marketplace, Olympus is far closer to Pentax, than
it is, to either Canon or Nikon.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>