Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

Re: Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

Charlie Russel-MVP

Well, it looks like they're getting serious.

OTOH, I've already switched over to an external news server for most things,
so it will be no problem to do so for x64 as well. See you all there...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> What is Happening?
> This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
> newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.
>
> Why?
> As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
> traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
> past several years while customers and participants are increasingly
> finding
> solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites.
> This
> move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it
> easier
> for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies
> and
> make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
> improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
> management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging
> healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft
> will
> begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
> and discontinue support for newsgroups.
>
> In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
> users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
> newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
> which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
> forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP
> reader
> functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up
> the
> NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/
>
> Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
> All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
> October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased
> approach,
> starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>
> When will this Happen?
> Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
>
> Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
> In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
> scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
> you to participate at
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...WindowsAnswers
> forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
> Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
>
> Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
> Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

Carlos

Charlie,
On that very week I'll be receiving heavy doses of sun in Isla Margarita,
taking a 1 week vacation!

I won't be able to be plugged in "the day after", but I'll be here using
"ethernalseptember" news service on the following week.

Carlos

"Charlie Russel-MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> > approach,
> > starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
> > active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
> >
> > When will this Happen?
> > Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
> >
> > Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
> > In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
> > scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
> > you to participate at
> > http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...WindowsAnswers
> > forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
> > Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
> >
> > Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
> > Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

Ivan

Isla Margarita, Venezuela?
Be very careful, you can lose your wallet or, worst, your life in my country. This is a hard place to live but easy to die.
Sorry for the intrusion.

--
Saludos cordiales. Ivan

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > approach,
>> > starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
>> > active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>> >
>> > When will this Happen?
>> > Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
>> >
>> > Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
>> > In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
>> > scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite
>> > you to participate at
>> > http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...WindowsAnswers
>> > forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.
>> > Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
>> >
>> > Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
>> > Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

Jeff Gaines

On 31/08/2010 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Ivan wrote:

>Isla Margarita, Venezuela?
>Be very careful, you can lose your wallet or, worst, your life in my
>country. This is a hard place to live but easy to die.
>Sorry for the intrusion.

Do you work for the Venezuelan tourist board by any chance

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

Ivan

I was kidnapped & stole there, don´t know how I´m alive, if I could I will leave this country and forget were I was born

--
Saludos cordiales. Ivan

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 31/08/2010 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Ivan wrote:
>
>>Isla Margarita, Venezuela?
>>Be very careful, you can lose your wallet or, worst, your life in my
>>country. This is a hard place to live but easy to die.
>>Sorry for the intrusion.

> Do you work for the Venezuelan tourist board by any chance
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

Carlos

Jeff,
Nope, just an southern Argentinean looking for high temps.

Carlos

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> On 31/08/2010 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Ivan wrote:
>
> >Isla Margarita, Venezuela?
> >Be very careful, you can lose your wallet or, worst, your life in my
> >country. This is a hard place to live but easy to die.
> >Sorry for the intrusion.

> Do you work for the Venezuelan tourist board by any chance
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
> .

Carlos

Iván:
Soy argentino, sé muy bien de qué estás hablando.
Ya tenemos práctica.

Carlos

"Ivan" wrote:

> Isla Margarita, Venezuela?
> Be very careful, you can lose your wallet or, worst, your life in my country. This is a hard place to live but easy to die.
> Sorry for the intrusion.
>
> --
> Saludos cordiales. Ivan
>
> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Charlie,
> > On that very week I'll be receiving heavy doses of sun in Isla Margarita,
> > taking a 1 week vacation!
> >
> > I won't be able to be plugged in "the day after", but I'll be here using
> > "ethernalseptember" news service on the following week.
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Charlie Russel-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Well, it looks like they're getting serious.
> >>
> >> OTOH, I've already switched over to an external news server for most things,
> >> so it will be no problem to do so for x64 as well. See you all there...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel
> >>

> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> .

Ivan

Ahora es peor de lo que cualquiera pueda imaginar: El paraiso de los ladrones, narcos y guerrilleros, ayer nada mas asesinaron tres turistas un holandes, un aleman y un italiano.

--
Saludos cordiales. Ivan

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Iván:
> Soy argentino, sé muy bien de qué estás hablando.
> Ya tenemos práctica.
>
> Carlos
>
> "Ivan" wrote:
>
>> Isla Margarita, Venezuela?
>> Be very careful, you can lose your wallet or, worst, your life in my country. This is a hard place to live but easy to die.
>> Sorry for the intrusion.
>>
>> --
>> Saludos cordiales. Ivan
>>
>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Charlie,
>> > On that very week I'll be receiving heavy doses of sun in Isla Margarita,
>> > taking a 1 week vacation!
>> >
>> > I won't be able to be plugged in "the day after", but I'll be here using
>> > "ethernalseptember" news service on the following week.
>> >
>> > Carlos

>> .

Charlie Russel-MVP

Heavy doses of sun are always good. Enjoy. I suspect we'll be here when you
get back. Just on a different server.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
>> > active ones throughout the course of the next six months.
>> >
>> > When will this Happen?
>> > Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed.
>> >
>> > Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
>> > In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is
>> > scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to
>> > invite
>> > you to participate at
>> > http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...WindowsAnswers
>> > forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are
>> > finalized.
>> > Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
>> >
>> > Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
>> > Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

Carlos

Charlie,
I've just subscribed to this group via Google.
This will allow me access from work.

Carlos