Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SPA3102 firmware upgrade

SPA3102 firmware upgrade

Chris Davies

I've been reviewing my options with regard to upgrading my SPA3102
firmware. There appears to be two firmware revisions available at
http://bit.ly/bzikB4 - one version 3.3.6 and one 5.1.10.

My SPA3102 is already at 3.3.6 (firmware "3.3.6(GW)" with a hardware
revision "1.4.5(a)" to be precise), yet (a) I've never upgraded it
in the couple of years I've had it, and (b) the release date for this
software claims to be 21st July 2010 - just last month. (Provisioning
is not enabled, in case anyone wonders!)

So, could someone explain what the difference is between the 3.3.6
firmware and the 5.1.10, please? Particularly whether they are for
different hardware revisions, or whether 5.1.10 is really the latest
version for a 3.3.6 box - and if so, why both versions are offered!

Many thanks,
Chris

Alan

"Chris Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been reviewing my options with regard to upgrading my SPA3102
> firmware. There appears to be two firmware revisions available at
> http://bit.ly/bzikB4 - one version 3.3.6 and one 5.1.10.
>
> My SPA3102 is already at 3.3.6 (firmware "3.3.6(GW)" with a hardware
> revision "1.4.5(a)" to be precise), yet (a) I've never upgraded it
> in the couple of years I've had it, and (b) the release date for this
> software claims to be 21st July 2010 - just last month. (Provisioning
> is not enabled, in case anyone wonders!)
>
> So, could someone explain what the difference is between the 3.3.6
> firmware and the 5.1.10, please? Particularly whether they are for
> different hardware revisions, or whether 5.1.10 is really the latest
> version for a 3.3.6 box - and if so, why both versions are offered!
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris

It's less hassle to stick with 3.3.6 (GW)
The "FXS Port Impedance" option for the UK is missing from the dropbox:
under "Voice > Regional settings".

If it's not broken .......

BTW
There is a Cisco/Linksys (Sipura) forum at Voxilla.com

Alan

Chris Davies

Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It's less hassle to stick with 3.3.6 (GW)
> The "FXS Port Impedance" option for the UK is missing from the dropbox:
> under "Voice > Regional settings".

Mmmm, uh oh. Thanks for that heads-up.

> If it's not broken .......

Well, IMO it is broken - don't you find the echo on the POTS line pretty
unpleasant? I do (and my wife /detests/ it).

> There is a Cisco/Linksys (Sipura) forum at Voxilla.com

Ahh!

Thanks,
Chris

Dave Higton

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Chris Davies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > It's less hassle to stick with 3.3.6 (GW)
> > The "FXS Port Impedance" option for the UK is missing from the dropbox:
> > under "Voice > Regional settings".

> Mmmm, uh oh. Thanks for that heads-up.
>

> > If it's not broken .......

> Well, IMO it is broken - don't you find the echo on the POTS line pretty
> unpleasant? I do (and my wife /detests/ it).

Your line impedance setting predominantly affects how much echo
the far end hears when talking to you. It also affects the level
of sidetone, which is your voice coming back non-delayed. You
always want some sidetone; it's very disconcerting not to have
any, it's like talking into complete emptiness. As for how much
"some" is: quite a lot, usually in the range -6 dB to -10 dB.

When I say "non-delayed", that really applies to an analogue phone.
A DECT handset introduces delays both ways between itself and the
hybrid, so it might sound like echo, I suppose.

Dave