Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Truly Trulymail

Re: Truly Trulymail

Ari Silverstein

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:50:58 -0700 (PDT), TrulyMail Support wrote:

>> Looks fairly interesting, but I'd like a lot more info on who they are....

> I'm John from TrulyMail Support. What would you like to know about us?
>
> The short version is that we are a Chilean company and we offer a
> secure, powerful, easy-to-use, email client which includes
> automatically encrypted messages between TrulyMail users (and optional
> encryption between email users) along with many other features. Our
> system is quite rich and you can read more about it here:
> http://trulymail.com/Features.aspx

Thanks for the info, John.

What is you and your companies background in delivering and
implementing encryption?

Who is "John", who are the investors, management and directors of
Trulymail?
--
´Looking Above and Beyond the Ramp: A Study of Buffalo Students˙
Attitudes toward Alternative Modes of Transportation"

TrulyMail Support

On Aug 31, 12:10*pm, Ari Silverstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for the info, John.
>
> What is you and your companies background in delivering and
> implementing encryption?

TrulyMail (the company) has been around a short time (two years). Our
products include the TrulyMail Client and related TrulyMail services
(encrypted, private messaging, for example). We have been offering
these products for about two years now.

> Who is "John", who are the investors, management and directors ofTrulymail?

I am John (though, I am not the only one here named John). The
identities of our investors is not public information. Is this
something that is important for you to know? If so, may I ask why?

Mr. B

Ari Silverstein wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:50:58 -0700 (PDT), TrulyMail Support wrote:
>
>>> Looks fairly interesting, but I'd like a lot more info on who they
>>> are....

>> I'm John from TrulyMail Support. What would you like to know about us?
>>
>> The short version is that we are a Chilean company and we offer a
>> secure, powerful, easy-to-use, email client which includes
>> automatically encrypted messages between TrulyMail users (and optional
>> encryption between email users) along with many other features. Our
>> system is quite rich and you can read more about it here:
>> http://trulymail.com/Features.aspx

1. Where is the source code? It would be nice if we could see what you mean
when you say "strong key encryption."
2. Why should we use this when we can already send encrypted email, and when
we have been doing so for a long time now? What exactly does your software
bring to the table, and why should we sacrifice compatibility with existing
cryptosystems?

-- B

Nomen Nescio

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 21:50:58 -0700 (PDT), TrulyMail Support wrote:

> Looks fairly interesting, but I'd like a lot more info on who they are....

> I'm John from TrulyMail Support. What would you like to know about us?

> The short version is that we are a Chilean company and we offer a
> secure, powerful, easy-to-use, email client which includes
> automatically encrypted messages between TrulyMail users (and optional
> encryption between email users) along with many other features. Our
> system is quite rich and you can read more about it here:
> http://trulymail.com/Features.aspx

> Thanks for the info, John.

> What is you and your companies background in delivering and
> implementing encryption?

> Who is "John", who are the investors, management and directors of
> Trulymail?

> --
> “Looking Above and Beyond the Ramp: A Study of Buffalo Students’
> Attitudes toward Alternative Modes of Transportation"

Some additional questions (you know how suspecious we are in this
group).
1. Is the service free? I can't see anything about cost. If free,
do you intend to start charging in the future?
2. Your website is in English only. Seems strange for a company
located in Chile.
3. What is the encryption you are using?

TrulyMail Support

> * Some additional questions (you know how suspecious we are in this
> group).

You are always welcome to ask. I will answer what I can.

> 1. Is the service free? *I can't see anything about cost. *

Yes, all existing TrulyMail services are free. Our TrulyMail Client is
also free.

> If free,
> do you intend to start charging in the future?

We will not charge for what we currently give away for free. However,
we will be offering additional services which will require a small fee
to use. Think of it like Skype: You get some services for free and
some you pay for.

> 2. Your website is in English only. *Seems strange for a company
> located in Chile.

This is not a question.

> 3. What is the encryption you are using?

We use both synchronous and asynchronous encryption. We use 4096 bit
keys which we feel is strong enough for now.

Ari Silverstein

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 01:42:07 -0700 (PDT), TrulyMail Support wrote:

> On Aug 31, 12:10*pm, Ari Silverstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info, John.
>>
>> What is you and your companies background in delivering and
>> implementing encryption?

> TrulyMail (the company) has been around a short time (two years). Our
> products include the TrulyMail Client and related TrulyMail services
> (encrypted, private messaging, for example). We have been offering
> these products for about two years now.
>
>> Who is "John", who are the investors, management and directors ofTrulymail?

> I am John (though, I am not the only one here named John). The
> identities of our investors is not public information. Is this
> something that is important for you to know? If so, may I ask why?

If you're dealing with security products, especially without open
source coding, /who/ you are and your background is extremely
important.

The fact that you ask this question is startling.

And informative.
--
Talk about F-Cars - www.ferrarichat.com/forum/member.php?u=89702

Ari Silverstein

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 06:17:30 -0700 (PDT), TrulyMail Support wrote:

>> 2. Your website is in English only. *Seems strange for a company
>> located in Chile.

> This is not a question.

And your answer is not an answer.

Clue: If you are going to be a serious player in encrypted
technologies, acting in seclusion and secrecy is going to run against
any hopes for respectability and credibility.

Only buffoons and morons will be your clientele.
--
9ec4c12949a4f31474f299058ce2b22a

TrulyMail Support

<<< my apologies if this post gets repeated, the reply function was
not working as I expected >>>

> 1. Where is the source code? It would be nice if we could see what you mean
> when you say "strong key encryption."

TrulyMail is not open-source (at least not at this time). Accordingly,
our source code is not available to the public. If you would like to
audit our source code, we would be happy to show you some key parts of
it if you are ever in Santiago.

For us, strong-key means 4096-bit keys. That's quite a bit higher than
what is offered by PGP and others.

> 2. Why should we use this when we can already send encrypted email, and when
> we have been doing so for a long time now?

If you have a system you like, keep using it. We feel there are plenty
of users who do not encrypt now who should and will, if we make it
easy enough for them.

> What exactly does your software
> bring to the table, and why should we sacrifice compatibility with existing
> cryptosystems?

While we think we bring a lot to the table (see our features page on
our website: http://trulymail.com/Features.aspx) we also understand
that there are users who prefer to stick to the systems they already
know.

You have a choice. We think we are a great choice but it all depends
on your needs.

Ari Silverstein

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:07:27 -0700 (PDT), TrulyMail Support wrote:

> <<< my apologies if this post gets repeated, the reply function was
> not working as I expected >>>
>
>> 1. Where is the source code? It would be nice if we could see what you mean
>> when you say "strong key encryption."

> TrulyMail is not open-source (at least not at this time). Accordingly,
> our source code is not available to the public. If you would like to
> audit our source code, we would be happy to show you some key parts of
> it if you are ever in Santiago.

*LOL*

What a crock.

> For us, strong-key means 4096-bit keys. That's quite a bit higher than
> what is offered by PGP and others.

If your implementation sucks, it doesn't matter if you have 400,096
megabit keys.

>> 2. Why should we use this when we can already send encrypted email, and when
>> we have been doing so for a long time now?

> If you have a system you like, keep using it. We feel there are plenty
> of users who do not encrypt now who should and will, if we make it
> easy enough for them.

> You have a choice. We think we are a great choice but it all depends
> on your needs.

I chose to pass.

Quickly, completely and what may be forever.
--
"You can't trust code that you did not totally create yourself"
Ken Thompson "Reflections on Trusting Trust"

TrulyMail Support

On Aug 31, 8:44 pm, Ari Silverstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 06:17:30 -0700 (PDT),TrulyMailSupport wrote:
> >> 2. Your website is in English only. Seems strange for a company
> >> located in Chile.

> > This is not a question.

> And your answer is not an answer.
>
> Clue: If you are going to be a serious player in encrypted
> technologies, acting in seclusion and secrecy is going to run against
> any hopes for respectability and credibility.
>
> Only buffoons and morons will be your clientele.

I had in no way intended to hide anything in my response. I think open
conversations are great. That said, one cannot answer a statement. I
could guess at what the real question is (are we really in Chile; why
is our website in English; is our use of English-only accidental;
etc.) but that would be me putting my questions into your mouth and
that just doesn't seem appropriate to me.

I do feel your response was a bit harsh but this is not a place to
critique communication style.

I will list what you might have intended to ask and if I get it right,
great. If not, I hope you will ask a clear question.

a) We are really in Chile.
b) We did choose English on purpose.
c) If we were targeting only Spanish speakers, then we would have
created everything in Spanish. However, we recognize that English is
the main international language and that is what we use here. English
is quite common here in Chile amongst the highly educated. Since we
are targeting the people of the world, English seems a more reasonable
language than Spanish.

There are plenty of companies based in countries where English is not
the official (Switzerland, Germany, etc.) who focus their
communications on English for the same reasons we do.

Now, if I may, why does it seem strange to you that our website is in
English? It helped you to learn more about us, did it not? If it did,
then it has served us well.