Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Energy Saving Tips

Energy Saving Tips

1. Reduce heater's room temperature
For each extra degree (Celsius) of temperature, your heater will
consume 7 to 11%
more energy. Adjust it to 18degrees which is also better for your
health.
2. Install a programmable thermostat
You will be able to control the heater's temperature during specific
hours every day.
3. Insulate your house
Loss of heat is loss of energy.
4. Fix air leaks
5. Close the chimney of the fireplace when you don't use it
It is designed to drive smoke (hot air) out of the house!
6. Get an energy audit to advice you about the necessary fixes and
insulation
7. Install energy efficient windows
8. Install storm windows
In cold climates they may save up to 50% of energy loss of your
current windows
during the winter.
9. Shade the windows properly
A tent outside the window will prevent more solar energy to enter the
house that a
curtain.
10.Plant deciduous trees to shade your house.
During the winter they will loose their leaves and allow sunlight
penetrate the house.
11.Mount aluminum sheets behind your space heaters
It will reflect the thermal energy in the room, not on the wall.
12.Put the refrigerator far from any heat sources
13.Don't overload the fridge
14.Don't put hot food in the fridge.
It will drain energy for no reason. Leave it out until it gets to the
room temperature
before putting it in the fridge.
15.Tidy up your fridge
Firstly, you will need less time with the door open until you find
what you need.
Secondly, the frost will be distributed better.
16.Keep your fridge clean
You can save up to 30% of loss of energy by cleaning the dust from the
back of your
refrigerator. Also, clean it from the ice which reduces its
performance.
17.Switch off the lights where you don't need them
18.Use CFLs
Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs are way more economic. Save up to 70%
of
electricity costs for lighting.
19. Look for Energy Star qualified appliances
20.Use the “eco” mode to reduce your appliances electricity
consumption
21.Don't use the air-conditioner with the windows open
22.Clean the air-conditioner's filters regularly
23.Shade your air-conditioner's compressors properly
They will use 10% less energy.
24.Walk, walk, walk
Walk to the supermarket, walk to the school, walk and save energy.
25.Drive slower to reduce emissions
Aggressive driving consumes more fuel.
26.Don't pre-heat the car engine.
Instead, you can drive at low velocities during the first minutes
until the engine is
properly heated.
27.Keep your car tires pressure at the proposed limits.
This will save you fuels and it will make your car safer too.
28.Go Hybrid
Hybrid cars produce less greenhouse gases. Check out the local funds
and buy one
at a better price
OR
29.Buy an electric car
30.Use public means of transport
31.Buy proper cookware
Make sure that your pans and the other kitchenware fix properly on the
cooker.
Otherwise you will loose energy for no reason.
32.Turn the cooker off before the food is finished
It will remain hot for a little and the food will be cooked without
wasting any energy.
33.Don't use a cloth dryer
It consumes too much energy. Remember, sun can be a really good friend
if used
properly.
34.Wash your clothes on lower temperature
Avoid energy loss when possible.
35.Don't leave electronics on stand-by mode
They will not stop using electricity. Use a plug-board with a switch
to completely
switch off all appliances.
36.Say no to screen savers
Turn the monitor off instead.
37.A plugged charger will consume energy even when it is not connected
to the
device
38.Go Local
Avoid transportation to far away distances if you can do the same
thing nearby.
Choose a local supermarket, buy from the bakery of the neighborhood.
Also prefer local products to reduce the CO2 emissions cause to their
transportation.
39.Go On-line
Make your bank or any other transactions using the Internet. This will
save you time
and transportation costs too.
40.Don't use the microwave oven to defrost food
Instead, you can just leave it at room temperature for a little bit
longer.
41.Go Passive
Using the sun properly can save you lots of money.
42.Use solar water heaters
They provide free hot water.
43.Maintain your water heater regularly
Badly maintained heaters consume way more electricity.
44.Insulate your water pipes
45.Install a Green Roof
It will save you lots of energy along with multiple other advantages
it provides.

.. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> [...]
> up to 30% uff loss uff energie bie kleaningkt ze dust from ze back
> uff jour r-r-refrigerator. Alzo, klean it from ze ice vhich
> r-r-reduces its performance. 17.Switch off ze lights vhere jou don't
> need dem 18.Use KFLs Kompakt Fluorescent Light bulbs are vaie more
> economic. Safe up to 70% uff elektricitie kosts for lightingkt. 19.
> Look for Energie Star qvalified appliances 20.Use ze �eco� mode to
> r-r-reduce jour appliances elektricitie konsumption 21.Don't use ze
> air-conditioner mitt ze vindows open 22.Clean ze air-conditioner's
> filters r-r-regularlie 23.Schade jour air-conditioner's kompreszors
> properlie Deie vill use 10% less energie. 24.Valk, valk, valk Valk
> to ze supermarket, valk to ze school, valk undt safe energie.
> 25.Drife slower to r-r-reduce eFrauleinions Aggressife drifingkt
> konsumes more fuel. 26.Don't pre-heat ze kar engine. Instead, jou
> kan drife at low felocities duringkt ze first minutes until ze
> engine ist properlie heated. 27.Keep jour kar tires pressure at ze
> proposed limits. Dis vill safe jou fuels undt it vill make jour kar
> safer too. 28.Go Hjbrid Hjbrid kars produce less greenhaus gases.
> Check out ze local funds undt buie ein at a better price OR-r-r
> 29.Buie an elektric kar 30.Use public means uff transport 31.Buie
> proper kookware Make sure dat jour pans undt ze oder kitchenware fix
> properlie on ze kooker. Oderwise jou vill loose energie for nein
> r-r-reazon. 32.Turn ze kooker off before ze food ist finisched It
> vill r-r-remain hot for a little undt ze food vill be kooked vidout
> vastingkt anie energie. 33.Don't use a klod drjer It konsumes too
> much energie. R-r-remember, sun kan be a r-r-reallie gut friend if
> used properlie. 34.Vasch jour klodes on lower temperature Afoid
> energie loss vhen possible. 35.Don't leafe elektronik on stand-bie
> mode Deie vill not stop usingkt elektricitie. Use a plug-board mitt
> a switch to kompletelie switch off all appliances. 36.Saie nein to
> screen safers Turn ze monitor off instead. 37.A plugged charger vill
> konsume energie efen vhen it ist not konnekted to ze defice 38.Go
> Local Afoid transportation to far awaie distances if jou kan do ze
> same dingkt nearbie. Choose a local supermarket, buie from ze
> bakerie uff ze neighborhood. Alzo prefer local produkts to
> r-r-reduce ze KO2 eFrauleinions kause to deir transportation. 39.Go
> On-line Make jour bank or anie oder transaktions usingkt ze
> Internet. Dis vill safe jou time undt transportation kosts too.
> 40.Don't use ze microwafe ofen to defrost food Instead, jou kan just
> leafe it at r-r-room temperature for a little bit longer. 41.Go
> Passife Usingkt ze sun properlie kan safe jou lots uff moneie.
> 42.Use zolar vater heaters Deie profide free hot vater. 43.Maintain
> jour vater heater r-r-regularlie Badlie maintained heaters konsume
> vaie more elektricitie. 44.Insulate jour vater pipes 45.Install a
> Green R-r-roof It vill safe jou lots uff energie along mitt multiple

monkeywintest

.... wrote:
> 1. Reduce heater's room temperature
> For each extra degree (Celsius) of temperature, your heater will
> consume 7 to 11%
> more energy. Adjust it to 18degrees which is also better for your
> health.
> 2. Install a programmable thermostat
> You will be able to control the heater's temperature during specific
> hours every day.
> 3. Insulate your house
> Loss of heat is loss of energy.
> 4. Fix air leaks
> 5. Close the chimney of the fireplace when you don't use it
> It is designed to drive smoke (hot air) out of the house!
> 6. Get an energy audit to advice you about the necessary fixes and
> insulation
> 7. Install energy efficient windows
> 8. Install storm windows
> In cold climates they may save up to 50% of energy loss of your
> current windows
> during the winter.
> 9. Shade the windows properly
> A tent outside the window will prevent more solar energy to enter the
> house that a
> curtain.
> 10.Plant deciduous trees to shade your house.
> During the winter they will loose their leaves and allow sunlight
> penetrate the house.
> 11.Mount aluminum sheets behind your space heaters
> It will reflect the thermal energy in the room, not on the wall.
> 12.Put the refrigerator far from any heat sources
> 13.Don't overload the fridge
> 14.Don't put hot food in the fridge.
> It will drain energy for no reason. Leave it out until it gets to the
> room temperature
> before putting it in the fridge.
> 15.Tidy up your fridge
> Firstly, you will need less time with the door open until you find
> what you need.

Try putting a thermometer back of the fridge, watch how fast the temp
goes up in 5 10 20 seconds when the door is open

> Secondly, the frost will be distributed better.
> 16.Keep your fridge clean
> You can save up to 30% of loss of energy by cleaning the dust from the
> back of your

worked for a retired Sergeant just getting back from Iraq painting his
house he just bought and the back of the fridge had at least 3 inches
of fur after wondering why an empty fridge ran continuously. Our food
and sodas got cold fast, it was a real good fridge, it just needed the
mat of fur in the back removed.

> refrigerator. Also, clean it from the ice which reduces its
> performance.
> 17.Switch off the lights where you don't need them

Never used to bother but decided having the luxury of not having to
take half a second flipping didn't outweigh
having the power company raising rates every year.

> 18.Use CFLs
> Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs are way more economic. Save up to 70%
> of
> electricity costs for lighting.

They started with lame looking lighting but I use them in every light
in my office area. Never had one go out indoors. But gets below 5
degrees zero and go through a lot.

> 19. Look for Energy Star qualified appliances
> 20.Use the “eco” mode to reduce your appliances electricity
> consumption
> 21.Don't use the air-conditioner with the windows open
> 22.Clean the air-conditioner's filters regularly
> 23.Shade your air-conditioner's compressors properly
> They will use 10% less energy.
> 24.Walk, walk, walk
> Walk to the supermarket, walk to the school, walk and save energy.
> 25.Drive slower to reduce emissions
> Aggressive driving consumes more fuel.
> 26.Don't pre-heat the car engine.
> Instead, you can drive at low velocities during the first minutes
> until the engine is
> properly heated.
> 27.Keep your car tires pressure at the proposed limits.

had a gas guzzler and that was all the difference

> This will save you fuels and it will make your car safer too.
> 28.Go Hybrid
> Hybrid cars produce less greenhouse gases. Check out the local funds
> and buy one
> at a better price
> OR
> 29.Buy an electric car
> 30.Use public means of transport
> 31.Buy proper cookware
> Make sure that your pans and the other kitchenware fix properly on the
> cooker.
> Otherwise you will loose energy for no reason.
> 32.Turn the cooker off before the food is finished
> It will remain hot for a little and the food will be cooked without
> wasting any energy.

I have been doing that for a while.

> 33.Don't use a cloth dryer
> It consumes too much energy. Remember, sun can be a really good friend
> if used
> properly.

eh, my clothes feel funny if I don't use a dryer. Turn off heated dry
early though.

Energy Saving Tips .. Java 0 08-29-2010 10:37 AM
Energy Saving Tips .. VHDL 0 07-03-2010 08:45 PM
Energy Saving Tips ... Cisco 0 07-03-2010 07:43 PM
Energy Saving Tips ... C Programming 0 07-03-2010 07:37 PM
Energy Saving Tips ... Python 0 06-30-2010 09:06 PM

Advertisments