Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connection Notifications

Reply
Thread Tools

Connection Notifications

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2005
I receive repeated connection status notifications (from the wirelss icon in
the Notification area) telling me that I am connected to a wireless network.
It seems as if these notifications occur for no reason as I'm not aware that
I'd lost my connection prior to the notification popping up ... it's as if XP
is just periodically telling me I have a wireless connection.

A couple months back I started using WPA-PSK (w/ TKIP) and I think that's
when I began getting all these notifications ... since that's the only change
I've made to my system I think there's a connection (no pun intended.) Am I
on the right trail and what if anything can be done about these annoying
notices?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2005
Hi

Assuming that you are using WinXP WZC util.

Look at the Wireless menu and make sure that your Network is the only one
in the preferred section and that the until connects only to the preferred
Wireless.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg1102.mspx

Another issue might be associated with your SSID, or lack of it.


http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Jack (MVP-Networking).





"JamesP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I receive repeated connection status notifications (from the wirelss icon

in
> the Notification area) telling me that I am connected to a wireless

network.
> It seems as if these notifications occur for no reason as I'm not aware

that
> I'd lost my connection prior to the notification popping up ... it's as if

XP
> is just periodically telling me I have a wireless connection.
>
> A couple months back I started using WPA-PSK (w/ TKIP) and I think that's
> when I began getting all these notifications ... since that's the only

change
> I've made to my system I think there's a connection (no pun intended.) Am

I
> on the right trail and what if anything can be done about these annoying
> notices?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2005
Hello Jack! Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm using XP's WZC util and have two wireless networks listed in my
Preferred Networks list. Is this a problem (having multiple networks listed)
.... because there's multiple networks listed XP is continuously looking for
the other networks?

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Assuming that you are using WinXP WZC util.
>
> Look at the Wireless menu and make sure that your Network is the only one
> in the preferred section and that the until connects only to the preferred
> Wireless.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg1102.mspx
>
> Another issue might be associated with your SSID, or lack of it.
>
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
>
>
>
>
> "JamesP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I receive repeated connection status notifications (from the wirelss icon

> in
> > the Notification area) telling me that I am connected to a wireless

> network.
> > It seems as if these notifications occur for no reason as I'm not aware

> that
> > I'd lost my connection prior to the notification popping up ... it's as if

> XP
> > is just periodically telling me I have a wireless connection.
> >
> > A couple months back I started using WPA-PSK (w/ TKIP) and I think that's
> > when I began getting all these notifications ... since that's the only

> change
> > I've made to my system I think there's a connection (no pun intended.) Am

> I
> > on the right trail and what if anything can be done about these annoying
> > notices?

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
David T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2005
Try this
Open the network connections in control panel.
Right click on your wireless connection and select properties
Make sure the box next to "Show icon in notification area when connected is
unchecked..
Had simular problem until tried this
"JamesP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Jack! Thanks for the response.
>
> Yes, I'm using XP's WZC util and have two wireless networks listed in my
> Preferred Networks list. Is this a problem (having multiple networks
> listed)
> ... because there's multiple networks listed XP is continuously looking
> for
> the other networks?
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Assuming that you are using WinXP WZC util.
>>
>> Look at the Wireless menu and make sure that your Network is the only
>> one
>> in the preferred section and that the until connects only to the
>> preferred
>> Wireless.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg1102.mspx
>>
>> Another issue might be associated with your SSID, or lack of it.
>>
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "JamesP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I receive repeated connection status notifications (from the wirelss
>> > icon

>> in
>> > the Notification area) telling me that I am connected to a wireless

>> network.
>> > It seems as if these notifications occur for no reason as I'm not aware

>> that
>> > I'd lost my connection prior to the notification popping up ... it's as
>> > if

>> XP
>> > is just periodically telling me I have a wireless connection.
>> >
>> > A couple months back I started using WPA-PSK (w/ TKIP) and I think
>> > that's
>> > when I began getting all these notifications ... since that's the only

>> change
>> > I've made to my system I think there's a connection (no pun intended.)
>> > Am

>> I
>> > on the right trail and what if anything can be done about these
>> > annoying
>> > notices?

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smilies + Notifications Ian The Lounge 17 12-09-2005 05:16 AM
Thunderbird - mark spam as read / don't get notifications about spam Stefano Firefox 5 02-09-2005 02:34 AM
How can my application receive PnP notifications from a n/w device =?Utf-8?B?TmV0d29ya2luZyBEZXZlbG9wZXI=?= Wireless Networking 1 11-25-2004 12:34 AM
Bookmark notifications Ryan Firefox 0 09-17-2004 11:34 PM
4500 Tracking Spanning Tree TCN (Topology Change Notifications) Amy L. Cisco 0 06-03-2004 09:47 PM



Advertisments