Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem recognising a sata 2 ext drive

Problem recognising a sata 2 ext drive

Dalziel

Hi

Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
supports upto 8 usb ports.
Thanks

Dalziel

On Aug 30, 4:14*pm, Grinder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/30/2010 3:37 AM, Dalziel wrote:
>
> > Hi

> > Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
> > get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
> > Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
> > settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
> > recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
> > think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
> > supports upto 8 usb ports.
> > Thanks

> Is it externally powered? *Just getting power from the USB port can be a
> little flakey.

Hi to Philo and Grinder,
Thanks for the response. The USB drive is externally powered. But when
plugged in the computer freezes and cant be switched off except at the
mains.
Totally baffled.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:32:10 -0700, Dalziel wrote:

> On Aug 30, 4:14*pm, Grinder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 8/30/2010 3:37 AM, Dalziel wrote:
>>
>> > Hi

>> > Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I
>> > cannot get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
>> > Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
>> > settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
>> > recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
>> > think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that
>> > it supports upto 8 usb ports.
>> > Thanks

>> Is it externally powered? *Just getting power from the USB port can be
>> a little flakey.

> Hi to Philo and Grinder,
> Thanks for the response. The USB drive is externally powered. But when
> plugged in the computer freezes and cant be switched off except at the
> mains.
> Totally baffled.

Plug it into another PC?

Dalziel

On Aug 30, 5:30*pm, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:32:10 -0700, Dalziel wrote:

> >> Is it externally powered? *Just getting power from the USB port can be
> >> a little flakey.

> > Hi to Philo and Grinder,
> > Thanks for the response. The USB drive is externally powered. But when
> > plugged in the computer freezes and cant be switched off except at the
> > mains.
> > Totally baffled.

> Plug it into another PC?
>
> --
> Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

Yes it has worked for other usb devices including an ext IDE HD. The
device also works on other computers.
So nothing wrong with the device itself. It appears that it cant cope
with a SATA II ext HD 9even though it is usb connection).
It wouldn't work with an internal SATA II either. MoBo is SATA
compatable.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:49:41 -0700, Dalziel wrote:

> On Aug 30, 5:30*pm, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Hi to Philo and Grinder,
>> > Thanks for the response. The USB drive is externally powered. But
>> > when plugged in the computer freezes and cant be switched off except
>> > at the mains.
>> > Totally baffled.

>> Plug it into another PC?
>>
>> --
>> Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

> Yes it has worked for other usb devices including an ext IDE HD. The
> device also works on other computers. So nothing wrong with the device
> itself. It appears that it cant cope with a SATA II ext HD 9even though
> it is usb connection). It wouldn't work with an internal SATA II either.
> MoBo is SATA compatable.

The SATA2 to USB controller is what the operating system sees. This is
built into the external case. I run SATA2 in Win 7 and linux with no
problems. Don't know what the solution is but you've got an underlying
issue with the operating system and probably not the hardware.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Dalziel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
>get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
>Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
>settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
>recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
>think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
>supports upto 8 usb ports.

Something I've found very useful is to read reviews. Someone has had your
problem. Reviews will let these people explain how to rectify the problem or
if it's just the HDD itself.

My "Google" of computer equipment is Newegg.com
Google: 1TB hitachi ext HDD drive usb connection site:newegg.com

Also check out Amazon.com, Froogle.com ...

Be a lot easier to use your model number.
--

abandoned places
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008...ed-places.html

Dalziel

On Aug 31, 5:06*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> *Dalziel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hi

> >Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
> >get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
> >Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
> >settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
> >recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
> >think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
> >supports upto 8 usb ports.

> Something I've found very useful is to read reviews. Someone has had your
> problem. Reviews will let these people explain how to rectify the problem or
> if it's just the HDD itself.
>
> My "Google" of computer equipment is Newegg.com
> Google: 1TB hitachi ext HDD drive usb connection site:newegg.com
>
> Also check out Amazon.com, Froogle.com ...
>
> Be a lot easier to use your model number.
> --
>
> abandoned placeshttp://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02/abandoned-places.html

The link you sent for newegg.com showed the same drive I have. But
after googling for reviews and forums still no solution. I suspect it
is windows 7 myself and will try to figure it out from that angle
rather than a hardware problem.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

chuckcar

Dalziel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi
>
> Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
> get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
> Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
> settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
> recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
> think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
> supports upto 8 usb ports.
> Thanks

without having the drive connected (that at least should be easy),
uninstall *any* software that came with it, reboot, install *only* the
drivers for the caddy itself and reboot. Then try plugging in the caddy.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:24:54 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> Dalziel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
>> get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
>> Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
>> settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
>> recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
>> think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
>> supports upto 8 usb ports.
>> Thanks

> without having the drive connected (that at least should be easy),
> uninstall *any* software that came with it, reboot, install *only* the
> drivers for the caddy itself and reboot. Then try plugging in the caddy.

It's a USB2 drive, no additional drivers needed chucktard. I have an
external eSATA drive with a 1TB WD SATA2 drive in it. I have no problems
in Win7 if I use the USB port on it. The case is an Antec has eSATA and
USB2 ports. This dude has some oddball conflict with his OS if he gets a
hard lock when he plugs in that drive.

chuckcar

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed). I.am:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:24:54 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>
>> Dalziel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> :
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I
>>> cannot get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
>>> Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
>>> settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
>>> recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
>>> think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that
>>> it supports upto 8 usb ports.
>>> Thanks

>> without having the drive connected (that at least should be easy),
>> uninstall *any* software that came with it, reboot, install *only*
>> the drivers for the caddy itself and reboot. Then try plugging in the
>> caddy.

> > It's a USB2 drive, no additional drivers needed. I have an

> external eSATA drive with a 1TB WD SATA2 drive in it. I have no
> problems in Win7 if I use the USB port on it. The case is an Antec has
> eSATA and USB2 ports.

It goes on a USB port. Drivers are needed period. If the OP didn't
install anything, I'd frankly be shocked and the drivers wouldn't be
corrupted anyways - because they hadn't been used before.

Drivers are need for devices that plug into rs232 connectors. And don't
say there isn't any, I know plenty of diabetics that would call you a liar.

>This dude has some oddball conflict with his OS
> if he gets a hard lock when he plugs in that drive.

It's called a corrupted driver. Nothing else is required.

That's an assumption on your part without anything to justify it.
Sure it *may* happen that the caddy itself is toast - it can happen
that way with other USB hardware, but it's by no means proven in
any way.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )