Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox is Dying

Firefox is Dying

jw@myplace.com

Several years ago I thought Firefox was the greatest browser ever
created. But unfortunately it's dying from bloat. They just keep
making it more and more bloated to the point that it now takes over
one full minute to load. I'm not the most patient person when I have
to wait that long for ANY software to load.

Awhile ago I found myself going back to using IE as my default browser
because I just could not go thru this long wait everytime I clicked on
a weblink in usenet or an email. But I soon found myself struggling
with IE's usual crashing and freezing bullshit.

This is when someone told me about K-Melion. K-Melion is also made by
Mozilla, and it's everything that Firefox used to be. Better yet, my
older computer that still uses Windows98 can even run K-Melion (which
any version 3 of FF will not run in Win9. K-Melion loads as fast as
IE did, and after several months of use, it's NEVER crashed once.

I find myself using K-Melion as my default browser now. I have only
opened FF a few times recently, and only because I wanted to use the
Addon "Download Helper" to download Youtube videos. Well, suddenly
"Download Helper" will no longer download videos from Youtube. I dont
know if this is due to Youtube changing something, Firefox just
refusing to use that addon anymore, or the addon itself. All I know
is that I am beginning to hate FF.

I just wish K-Melion had a similar addon, because I'd wipe FF right
off my harddrive. K-Melion even renders web pages correctly, when FF
wont. Goodbye Firefox.... you were a good friend until you got too
fat and bloated. Now you're useless. (just like a few women I once
knew).

Welcome K-Melion !

Justin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 03:24:21 -0500]:
> Several years ago I thought Firefox was the greatest browser ever
> created. But unfortunately it's dying from bloat. They just keep
> making it more and more bloated to the point that it now takes over
> one full minute to load. I'm not the most patient person when I have
> to wait that long for ANY software to load.
>
> Awhile ago I found myself going back to using IE as my default browser
> because I just could not go thru this long wait everytime I clicked on
> a weblink in usenet or an email. But I soon found myself struggling
> with IE's usual crashing and freezing bullshit.
>
> This is when someone told me about K-Melion. K-Melion is also made by
> Mozilla, and it's everything that Firefox used to be. Better yet, my
> older computer that still uses Windows98 can even run K-Melion (which
> any version 3 of FF will not run in Win9. K-Melion loads as fast as
> IE did, and after several months of use, it's NEVER crashed once.
>
> I find myself using K-Melion as my default browser now. I have only
> opened FF a few times recently, and only because I wanted to use the
> Addon "Download Helper" to download Youtube videos. Well, suddenly
> "Download Helper" will no longer download videos from Youtube. I dont
> know if this is due to Youtube changing something, Firefox just
> refusing to use that addon anymore, or the addon itself. All I know
> is that I am beginning to hate FF.
>
> I just wish K-Melion had a similar addon, because I'd wipe FF right
> off my harddrive. K-Melion even renders web pages correctly, when FF
> wont. Goodbye Firefox.... you were a good friend until you got too
> fat and bloated. Now you're useless. (just like a few women I once
> knew).
>
> Welcome K-Melion !

try chrome

Justin

Kuskokwim wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:59:27 -0700]:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:
>
>> try chrome

> Chrome has no bookmarks sidebar and no print preview. A deal killer for me.

Who prints web pages?

Justin

Ed Mullen wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:18:38 -0400]:
> Justin wrote:
>> Kuskokwim wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:59:27 -0700]:

>>> Chrome has no bookmarks sidebar and no print preview. A deal killer for me.

>> Who prints web pages?
>>

> You never bought anything online and wanted a record of the transaction?

Sure, but I buy from places that send me an email receipt.

Or print to file, who cares if you preview that?

jw@myplace.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I just wish K-Melion had a similar addon, because I'd wipe FF right
>> off my harddrive. K-Melion even renders web pages correctly, when FF
>> wont. Goodbye Firefox.... you were a good friend until you got too
>> fat and bloated. Now you're useless. (just like a few women I once
>> knew).
>>
>> Welcome K-Melion !

>try chrome

Chrome dont run in Windows 98, and although I have XP on one computer,
I still use the Win98 computer the most. I have never cared for any
version of Windows since Win2000. Besides that, my XP computer is not
even setup to go on the internet. All the viruses are for XP and up.
Using Win98 I dotn even need AV software.

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 03:24:21 -0500, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Several years ago I thought Firefox was the greatest browser ever
> created. But unfortunately it's dying from bloat. They just keep
> making it more and more bloated to the point that it now takes over
> one full minute to load.

Firefox loads in 2 seconds here.

However, Firefox is slow on ten-year-old computers (like yours).

> This is when someone told me about K-Melion.

The name is K-Meleon, not K-Melion.

> K-Melion is also made by
> Mozilla

No, it is not.

K-Meleon uses the Gecko rendering engine which is made by Mozilla.
However, the rest of K-Meleon is made by its own development team.
The K-Meleon team uses Sourceforge facilities, not Mozilla facilities.

--
Regards
Ralph

Justin

(E-Mail Removed) wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:20:11 -0500]:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Justin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> I just wish K-Melion had a similar addon, because I'd wipe FF right
>>> off my harddrive. K-Melion even renders web pages correctly, when FF
>>> wont. Goodbye Firefox.... you were a good friend until you got too
>>> fat and bloated. Now you're useless. (just like a few women I once
>>> knew).
>>>
>>> Welcome K-Melion !

>>try chrome

> Chrome dont run in Windows 98, and although I have XP on one computer,
> I still use the Win98 computer the most. I have never cared for any
> version of Windows since Win2000. Besides that, my XP computer is not
> even setup to go on the internet. All the viruses are for XP and up.
> Using Win98 I dotn even need AV software.

Then frankly, you're an idiot. You should run Linux or something if
you are not a fan of windows, running a 12 year old OS that hasn't had
any security updates in years is stupid.

Justin

Kuskokwim wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:15:07 -0700]:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:04:35 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:
>
>> Kuskokwim wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:59:27 -0700]:

>>> Chrome has no bookmarks sidebar and no print preview. A deal killer for me.

>> Who prints web pages?

> What a silly reply.
>
> I print Web pages every day and if you Google "chrome print preview" you
> will find that many other people want this feature.

And I work all day every day on the web and never print a web page. PDFs, sure
but they are in their own app that isn't chrome.

> Chrome's handling of bookmarks is atrocious.

works well for me. Same as firefox

jones

>>> You never bought anything online and wanted a record of the transaction?

>> Sure, but I buy from places that send me an email receipt.
>> Or print to file, who cares if you preview that?

> If it's something trivial I don't bother. However, when I buy something
> non-trivial I want a paper record. YMMV

When I buy something online I screen capture the details before I checkout
of the order, then I have a record of the purchase. If you want to print
that out, you can also once you save it to your hard drive.

Regards
Katherine

Ralph Fox

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 03:49:59 +0000 (UTC), in message <i5hu56$lao$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
Justin wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:20:11 -0500]:
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Justin
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> > Chrome dont run in Windows 98, and although I have XP on one computer,
> > I still use the Win98 computer the most. I have never cared for any
> > version of Windows since Win2000. Besides that, my XP computer is not
> > even setup to go on the internet. All the viruses are for XP and up.
> > Using Win98 I dotn even need AV software.

> Then frankly, you're an idiot. You should run Linux or something if
> you are not a fan of windows, running a 12 year old OS that hasn't had
> any security updates in years is stupid.

Win98 is a great deal more secure than the later Windows like the
original XP. A lot of the vulns started appearing in IE5.x and in
the later versions of Windows. Just because some later versions of
Windows needed heaps of patches before they became secure, it doesn't
mean you should assume the same would go for Win98.

To make Win98 safe the OP will need to have closed port 139 (preventing
NetBIOS access into his PC). IMNSHO this is best done by renaming
Windows\System\VNBT.386 to something like VNBT.BAK -- as described
in these pages
http://www.nwi.net/~pchelp/security/...ring.htm#names
http://rshweb.com/Win95/win95tips6.h...Screen%20Blues
http://www.grc.com/su-rebinding9x.htm

Just FYI - I ran a Win98 box for over a decade, accessing the Internet
daily, and it never got infected. During this time, an XP box got
infected across the net through a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows
LSASS. This LSASS vuln does not exist at all in Win98 (and NT4.0),
but made its appearance in Win2K.

--
Regards
Ralph

RMIREGISTRY dying on Windows Server 2003. Bill Williams Java 0 06-02-2005 07:04 PM
Eclipse, sick, dying, dead, or am I missing something?? James Kimble Java 36 01-26-2005 01:38 PM
Dying Network setup wizard =?Utf-8?B?amFjcQ==?= Wireless Networking 3 01-26-2005 02:05 AM
PC KEEPS DYING Jim Gastropants MCSE 14 10-08-2004 01:45 PM
session keeps dying? Steve Letford ASP .Net 8 08-06-2003 05:01 AM

Advertisments