Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Partition size for Windows 7

Partition size for Windows 7

Old Gringo38

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:15:52 +0530, pawihte wrote:

> Old Gringo38 wrote:

>>> That's why I took the time to explain my usage habits which I
>>> expect the owner to emulate. I prefer to keep the OS partition
>>> as
>>> small as possible without being cramped for installation of
>>> additional programs in the foreseeable future. This is
>>> because
>>> many unskilled users often mess up their system so badly that
>>> complete reinstallation is the most practicable solution.
>>>
>>> I make a backup of the system drive, complete with drivers,
>>> apps,
>>> registration and personal preferences. Backup file size is
>>> reduced to a minimum if no user data was saved on the system
>>> drive. It also saves the hassle of sorting out all the clutter
>>> that has to backed up on another drive in case the OS drive
>>> has
>>> to be formatted. This way, the entire system drive can be
>>> restored in a few minutes.

>> If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should be
>> closed
>> before it was opened. JHC

> I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
> explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
> being familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
> suitable partition size. Your replies make no sense.

I kind of thought I was talking to a box of rocks from the beginning.
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Dan C

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:51:24 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:39:13 +0000, Dan C wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:29:58 +0530, pawihte wrote:
>>
>>> I'm preparing a new hard disk for someone who will be using Win XP for
>>> some time but may want to install 7 later. As I've never used Win 7
>>> either, I'm not sure how large I should make the OS partition.
>>>
>>> For simplicity, let's assume that the owner can be expected to follow
>>> my usage patterns: I always have My Documents on a non-OS partition,
>>> disable hibernation and System Restore, and delete Windows SP backup
>>> files. My pagefile is currently 3GB. For years, I found 10GB quite
>>> enough for XP and all the programs I normally install, but more
>>> recently increased that to 20GB, mostly because I occasionally place
>>> several GBs temporarily on the desktop. Even then I seldom use more
>>> than 10GB of the C: drive.
>>>
>>> So, taking those things into consideration, what do you suggest as the
>>> system drive size that's not likely to require resizing for Win 7, but
>>> without going overboard and thus unnecessarily reducing the space
>>> available for data in other partitions? Thanks in advance.

>> I'd say about 300 GB should be about right.

> And where did you feltch that figure from, you're arse again?
>
> No need to slice you drive up into partitions. Let Windoze do what it
> wants.

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Typical Gates slave Win-droid talk. ROFL! Stupid!

"Let Windoze do what it wants." A classic, indeed!

****-fer-brains.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he called in an air strike.

Dan C

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:37:09 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> I don't see a reason to partition NTFS any other way besides what the
> operating system defaults to.

That's because you're a clueless stooge.

Stupid, as well.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as his rectum exploded.

pawihte

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:55:37 +0530, pawihte wrote:
>
>> Old Codger wrote:

>>> This is usenet, what else do you expect?

>> You have a point there.

> I think the advice I gave you to let Win 7 manage itself was
> probably
> the best you're going to get. Here's an image of my drive
> configuration.
>
> http://bayimg.com/jAoNkAAcj
>
> Disc0 is Vista. Disc1 linux Disc2 Win 7.
>
> I don't see a reason to partition NTFS any other way besides
> what the
> operating system defaults to.

Thanks. At least *you* are trying to give a meaningful reply.
You've used up about 200GB of your Win 7 boot drive. Can you give
me a rough idea of how that amount of space is used up? I mean,
is the majority of that space used for data or for the OS and
apps?

Dan C

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:15:52 +0530, pawihte wrote:

> Old Gringo38 wrote:

>>> That's why I took the time to explain my usage habits which I expect
>>> the owner to emulate. I prefer to keep the OS partition as
>>> small as possible without being cramped for installation of additional
>>> programs in the foreseeable future. This is because
>>> many unskilled users often mess up their system so badly that a
>>> complete reinstallation is the most practicable solution.
>>>
>>> I make a backup of the system drive, complete with drivers, apps,
>>> registration and personal preferences. Backup file size is reduced to
>>> a minimum if no user data was saved on the system drive. It also saves
>>> the hassle of sorting out all the clutter that has to backed up on
>>> another drive in case the OS drive has
>>> to be formatted. This way, the entire system drive can be restored in
>>> a few minutes.

>> If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should be closed
>> before it was opened. JHC

> I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've explained
> at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not being familiar with
> Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a suitable partition size.
> Your replies make no sense.

Jesus ****ing Christ. Win7 is not any different than any other (recent)
version of Windoze as far as how much space it needs. Just make it the
same as it ****ing was, or perhaps a little bigger due to the Windoze
bloat factor with each "new" release. ****, don't be so ****ing stupid.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found Earl in his honey pot.

Meat Plow

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:01:20 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:37:09 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> I don't see a reason to partition NTFS any other way besides what the
>> operating system defaults to.

> T[SLAP]

**** off troll

pawihte

Dan C wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 22:15:52 +0530, pawihte wrote:
>
>> Old Gringo38 wrote:

>>> If knowing what what you want to do and why, the case should
>>> be
>>> closed before it was opened. JHC

>> I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
>> explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
>> being
>> familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
>> suitable
>> partition size. Your replies make no sense.

> Jesus ****ing Christ. Win7 is not any different than any other
> (recent) version of Windoze as far as how much space it needs.
> Just
> make it the same as it ****ing was, or perhaps a little bigger
> due to
> the Windoze bloat factor with each "new" release. ****, don't
> be so
> ****ing stupid.

The bloat factor is exactly what I was asking about. Moron.

Meat Plow

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:31:49 +0530, pawihte wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:

>>> You have a point there.

>> I think the advice I gave you to let Win 7 manage itself was probably
>> the best you're going to get. Here's an image of my drive
>> configuration.
>>
>> http://bayimg.com/jAoNkAAcj
>>
>> Disc0 is Vista. Disc1 linux Disc2 Win 7.
>>
>> I don't see a reason to partition NTFS any other way besides what the
>> operating system defaults to.

> Thanks. At least *you* are trying to give a meaningful reply. You've
> used up about 200GB of your Win 7 boot drive. Can you give me a rough
> idea of how that amount of space is used up? I mean, is the majority of
> that space used for data or for the OS and apps?

Only mod I made was to keep as much data out of my user profile as
possible. It's documented that a large user profile data store can slow
down your PC. I've made folders for pictures, music and video not in the
default place where applications want to store them /my documents/music
/my documents/pictures etc... Never been a good idea to store huge
amounts of data there. Most of that 200 is audio files I work on for a
music studio. These are raw wav files.

Meat Plow

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:00:05 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:51:24 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

>>> I'd say about 300 GB should be about right.

>> And where did you feltch that figure from, you're arse again?
>>
>> No need to slice you drive up into partitions. Let Windoze do what it
>> wants.

> H[SLAP]

**** off troll

joevan

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 23:43:27 +0530, "pawihte" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Dan C wrote:

>>> I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I've
>>> explained at length how I usually use my OS partition, but not
>>> being
>>> familiar with Windows 7, I asked for advice on choosing a
>>> suitable
>>> partition size. Your replies make no sense.

>> Jesus ****ing Christ. Win7 is not any different than any other
>> (recent) version of Windoze as far as how much space it needs.
>> Just
>> make it the same as it ****ing was, or perhaps a little bigger
>> due to
>> the Windoze bloat factor with each "new" release. ****, don't
>> be so
>> ****ing stupid.

>The bloat factor is exactly what I was asking about. Moron.

All Morons are trolls, and all trolls are idiots.
BTW FWIWorth. My windows takes up about 14 gigs after about 6 months
with win 7. My c drive has used up 63 gigs total with all the added
files I have put on it, that includes the 14 gigs for windows 7.