Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: 1782 error

Re: 1782 error

- Bobb -

> I have a Compaq deskpro computer with a 6 gig hard drive. It is a pentium
> III cpu 500 meg. OS XP pro. When I first bought this used computer the
> OS was win 98 2nd edition.
> I stumbled across an update that upgraded my bios from rom family 686t3
> dated feb, 1999 to aug, 1999. It still limited my hard drive capacity.

==========
DOES the PC still work with the old drive ?
<you haven't told us that yet.>
Has this been running ok and now you just want a bigger drive ?
if you add this as SECOND disk , still the error ?

If this PC was built in 1998 ( if 1999 BIOS was an update) think of the
advances in PC technology since 1998. The PC might not even be able to talk
the controller for a large drive. It wasn't until 1998 or so that UltraDMA
and ATAPI became standards . If the CPU / motherboard ONLY supports a 20gb
drive, instead of 1 - 40gb, get 2 - 20gb drives. Although ANY disk you find
that it 'that small' is going to be old and maybe getting unreliable.

If max was 20gb, assume it can't take bigger ( or they would have sold it
with bigger). If max was 20gb probably doesn't not have circuitry to
support 40gb. Like odometer on car - if only 5 digits can only count as high
as 99999 no matter how long the car lasts , how far it travels. If you try
to install 7 digit odometer it won't fit - so you have to live with 5
digitis

news:4c766d25$0$4856$(E-Mail Removed) g.com...