Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > More questions about digitizing slides

More questions about digitizing slides

ray

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:36:04 -0400, Peter wrote:

> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 02:03:47 -0700, Skylamar wrote:
>>
>>> I posted a few weeks ago that I'm trying to help my mom with her
>>> decision to digitize 1000 to 2000 slides. She's not that computer
>>> savvvy. She also lives far from me so I can't help her in person.
>>> Also, I use a Mac and she uses a PC running XP and I don't know a lot
>>> about Windows.

> <snip>
>
>>> I'm also wondering if there is some simple IPhoto-like software for
>>> allowing her to organize her photos, so that it will be easier to
>>> browse through the photos in the future. According to the Canon site,
>>> the 9000F comes with:
>>>
>>> CD-ROM including Printer Driver, Setup Software and User's Guide,
>>> Adobe® Photoshop® Elements, ArcSoft® PhotoStudio®, MP Navigator EX,
>>> NewSoft® Presto! PageManager® (Windows only), ScanSoft® OmniPage ® SE

>> In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
>> much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
>> would not count on it for more than that.
>>

> How much of that software have you actually used? Exactly what is wrong
> with:
>
> PS Elements;
> ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
> users;
> OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used
> constantly.
>
> I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with.
> But, clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.

Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is
not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
with computer or photographic equipment.

nospam

In article <4c768e71$0$5514$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, Peter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One of my criteria is that the site support disabling of the right click.

what for? that does absolutely nothing other than annoy users because
there is a lot more than save image in the contextual menu and it is
trivially circumvented anyway.

if you don't want people to steal the photos, do not post them where
people can steal them. period.

Skylamar

On 2010-08-26 09:14:48 -0700, ray said:

> What is the objective? Is it 'archival' in case something should happen
> to the slides? Is it because no one wants to drag out the projector any
> more? Or is it simply because that's the 'thing' to do these days?

The main reason is that my mom moved to a smaller house and the boxes
of slides are taking up too much room. Also, she never uses the
projector anymore.

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded.

Peter

"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:36:04 -0400, Peter wrote:
>
>> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> <snip>

>>> In my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is not of
>>> much use. In the case of MS, it will allow you to do the scanning. I
>>> would not count on it for more than that.
>>>

>> How much of that software have you actually used? Exactly what is wrong
>> with:
>>
>> PS Elements;
>> ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
>> users;
>> OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used
>> constantly.
>>
>> I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with.
>> But, clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.

> Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
> said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is
> not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
> with computer or photographic equipment.

Specific programs that came with hardware were mentioned by the OP.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:58:24 -0400, "Peter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:36:04 -0400, Peter wrote:
>>
>>> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> <snip>

>>> How much of that software have you actually used? Exactly what is wrong
>>> with:
>>>
>>> PS Elements;
>>> ArcSoft - a fine stitching application that works well for most casual
>>> users;
>>> OmniPage - fairly decent PDF conversion software, that I used
>>> constantly.
>>>
>>> I can only talk about those programs he listed that I am familiar with.
>>> But, clearly that is enough to cast some doubt on your statement.

>> Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
>> said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment is
>> not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
>> with computer or photographic equipment.

>Specific programs that came with hardware were mentioned by the OP.

As far as I'm concerned, it is quite possible two separate conditions
to be extant: 1) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
useful, and 2) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
useless. It depends on the specific programs.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Ryan McGinnis

Ryan McGinnis

Peter

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:58:24 -0400, "Peter"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Please read the post. I did not say 'that software is trash' - what I
>>> said was "in my experience, the software that comes with the equipment
>>> is
>>> not of much use". Generally, I find little to no useful software coming
>>> with computer or photographic equipment.

>>Specific programs that came with hardware were mentioned by the OP.

> As far as I'm concerned, it is quite possible two separate conditions
> to be extant: 1) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
> useful, and 2) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
> useless. It depends on the specific programs.

Absolutely true. Now let's put my comment in context --
The precise statement to which I replied -- "In my experience, the software
that comes with the equipment is not of much use...."

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:19:57 -0400, "Peter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:58:24 -0400, "Peter"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Specific programs that came with hardware were mentioned by the OP.

>> As far as I'm concerned, it is quite possible two separate conditions
>> to be extant: 1) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
>> useful, and 2) some specific programs provided with a camera may be
>> useless. It depends on the specific programs.
>>

>Absolutely true. Now let's put my comment in context --
>The precise statement to which I replied -- "In my experience, the software
>that comes with the equipment is not of much use...."

Mostly, I wouldn't know. The only software that I've downloaded from
a disk that came with any camera I've owned was a trial version of Nik
Software. Nice program, but too expensive for my use for what it
does. Just a quicker way of obtaining effects that I can do in CS4.

Nik, like Topaz, has some interesting applications but the full sets
are expensive.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

~^ beancounter ~^

i did a project just like this a few summers ago...aprox 1,500 older
35mm slides...go onto e bay and buy yourself a nikon cool scan
machine...use it a few weeks, do
your scanning, and sell it back on ebay...all you are out is your
time...i think i was doing, like one slide per 15 secs...after i got
going...it wasn't too bad...family members were very happy to see the
results...good luck !!! richard / colorado