Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Does anybody know why google.com isnt well-formed?

Does anybody know why google.com isnt well-formed?

muelli75

Hi!

Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.

Im missing the </body> and </html>.

Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?

Martin

Sjeef

"muelli75" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Hi!
>
> Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.
>
> Im missing the </body> and </html>.
>
> Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?
>

> Martin

Maybe because it is in HTML 5?

--
Regards,

Gerard Schaefers

Website: http://www.sjeef.eu

' Vergeten' groenten? Nieuwe rubriek:
http://www.sjeef.eu/Nederlands/Recep...0groenten.html

Neredbojias

On 26 Aug 2010, "Sjeef" <sjeeef@(REMOVETHIS)gmail.com> wrote:

> "muelli75" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> Hi!
>>
>> Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.
>>
>> Im missing the </body> and </html>.
>>
>> Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?
>>

>> Martin

> Maybe because it is in HTML 5?

Uh, yeah, that must be it...

--
Neredbojias

http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/

Robert Tomsick

muelli75 wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.
>
> I´m missing the </body> and </html>.
>
> Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?

Because it saves them precious bytes, and browsers appear to cope with it
just fine.

Google's got the resources to test this sort of thing, and given that any
tricks they can use to save bandwidth have a pretty substantial effect (just
how many times a day is their index page loaded?) they probably think it's
worth it to violate the spec.

Cheers,
Rob

R. Andersen

On 2010-08-26 10:18:55 +0200, muelli75 said:

> Hi!
>
> Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.
>
> Im missing the </body> and </html>.
>
> Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?
>

> Martin

Maybe the closing tags are embedded via javascript. But yea it seems odd.
--
Regards,
R. Andersen

Dave

muelli75 wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.
>
> Im missing the </body> and </html>.
>
> Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?
>

> Martin

Read the spec. These tags are optional.

R. Andersen

On 2010-08-26 17:30:01 +0200, Ed Mullen said:

> Robert Tomsick wrote:
>> muelli75 wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.
>>>
>>> Im missing the</body> and</html>.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?

>> Because it saves them precious bytes, and browsers appear to cope with it
>> just fine.
>>
>> Google's got the resources to test this sort of thing, and given that any
>> tricks they can use to save bandwidth have a pretty substantial effect (just
>> how many times a day is their index page loaded?) they probably think it's
>> worth it to violate the spec.

> The file is just shy of 15Kb. It only has 12 lines, the longest of
> which is 6,506 characters long! I can't imagine how anyone could
> possibly maintain that code.

They have a non-minified edition for maintenance, then before putting
it online they minified it to save bandwidth. Atleast that what I think.
--
Regards,
R. Andersen

Dylan Parry

muelli75 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.
>
> I´m missing the </body> and </html>.
>
> Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?

It might seem bizarre, bug it's perfectly valid to leave out those
closing tags. In fact, it's perfectly valid to omit body tags
altogether.

--
Dylan Parry

Dylan Parry

Dylan Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> bug it's perfectly valid

Of course I meant "but it's perfectly valid". So hard to type on an
iPhone sometimes!

--
Dylan Parry

Jukka K. Korpela

Dylan Parry wrote:

> muelli75 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Checkout http://www.google.com and display the source-code.
>>
>> I´m missing the </body> and </html>.
>>
>> Does anybody know why google doesnt know much about HTML?

> It might seem bizarre, bug it's perfectly valid to leave out those
> closing tags. In fact, it's perfectly valid to omit body tags
> altogether.

Yes, though that's a bit odd formulation. Either some markup is valid,
relative to the declared DTD, or it is not valid. There's really no such
thing as degrees of validity, though in practices, sometimes markup error
create chaos whereas often they are just formal errors.

But the question in the Subject line - the question that was not repeated in
the original message body, violating good practices - was why Google.com
isn't well-formed. Well-formedness is an XML concept. (An odd one. Being a
well-formed XML document means being an XML document. Instead of being a
good technical term, it is a pseudo-term that lets people talk about "XML
documents" loosely, including documents that violate fundamental XML rules,
which constitute part of the definition of XML, but are still in some sense
presented or submitted as XML.)

The answer is that Google.com does not purport to be XML, in any way, so any
XML-based question about it is irrelevant.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/