Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7

Windows 7

Gib Bogle

I'm having my first exposure to Windows 7 (migrating from XP) and I'm finding it
quite frustrating. First, it insists on popping up extraneous stuff all over
the place, I guess because someone thinks it makes it more user-friendly, but it
just makes it more user-irritating for me, just a distraction. Trying to
emulate the Mac, I presume. I don't need little pictures to tell me what things
are, I can read.

More seriously annoying is the fact that although I supposedly have
administrator rights, I can't do some things that I expect to be able to do.
E.g., I want to install some software in Program Files (x86). It will not
permit Winzip to unzip into that directory. I have to unzip into a temp
directory somewhere, then copy the folders one by one to the destination. Even
then it insists on telling me each time that I can't do it, then lets me do it
after I click "continue".

Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?

Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).

Gib Bogle

Gib Bogle wrote:
> I'm having my first exposure to Windows 7 (migrating from XP) and I'm
> finding it quite frustrating. First, it insists on popping up
> extraneous stuff all over the place, I guess because someone thinks it
> makes it more user-friendly, but it just makes it more user-irritating
> for me, just a distraction. Trying to emulate the Mac, I presume. I
> don't need little pictures to tell me what things are, I can read.
>
> More seriously annoying is the fact that although I supposedly have
> administrator rights, I can't do some things that I expect to be able to
> do. E.g., I want to install some software in Program Files (x86). It
> will not permit Winzip to unzip into that directory. I have to unzip
> into a temp directory somewhere, then copy the folders one by one to the
> destination. Even then it insists on telling me each time that I can't
> do it, then lets me do it after I click "continue".
>
> Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?
>
> Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).

There are so many small annoyances. Windows will not let me type '\' in many
places. It ignores the keystroke until I hit '\' again, then it displays '\\',
so I have to backspace. WTF?

victor

On 26/08/2010 10:34 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> I'm having my first exposure to Windows 7 (migrating from XP) and I'm
> finding it quite frustrating. First, it insists on popping up extraneous
> stuff all over the place, I guess because someone thinks it makes it
> more user-friendly, but it just makes it more user-irritating for me,
> just a distraction. Trying to emulate the Mac, I presume. I don't need
> little pictures to tell me what things are, I can read.
>
> More seriously annoying is the fact that although I supposedly have
> administrator rights, I can't do some things that I expect to be able to
> do. E.g., I want to install some software in Program Files (x86). It
> will not permit Winzip to unzip into that directory. I have to unzip
> into a temp directory somewhere, then copy the folders one by one to the
> destination. Even then it insists on telling me each time that I can't
> do it, then lets me do it after I click "continue".
>
> Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?
>
> Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).

You could try
Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
Then slide the slider to Never Notify.

Gib Bogle

victor wrote:
> On 26/08/2010 10:34 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>> I'm having my first exposure to Windows 7 (migrating from XP) and I'm
>> finding it quite frustrating. First, it insists on popping up extraneous
>> stuff all over the place, I guess because someone thinks it makes it
>> more user-friendly, but it just makes it more user-irritating for me,
>> just a distraction. Trying to emulate the Mac, I presume. I don't need
>> little pictures to tell me what things are, I can read.
>>
>> More seriously annoying is the fact that although I supposedly have
>> administrator rights, I can't do some things that I expect to be able to
>> do. E.g., I want to install some software in Program Files (x86). It
>> will not permit Winzip to unzip into that directory. I have to unzip
>> into a temp directory somewhere, then copy the folders one by one to the
>> destination. Even then it insists on telling me each time that I can't
>> do it, then lets me do it after I click "continue".
>>
>> Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?
>>
>> Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).

> You could try
> Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
> Then slide the slider to Never Notify.

Thanks, I'm trying this. Actually it's under:
Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control Settings

Gib Bogle

Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe ' or the
backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of these characters
until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in text editors (e.g.
Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of my intentions by MS drives
me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned off?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i545q2$j2j$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:

> ... (except for stupid OS bigotry).

And how would you describe your post?

Penguin Man

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:52:08 +1200, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe ' or the
>backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of these characters
>until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in text editors (e.g.
>Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of my intentions by MS drives
>me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned off?

Use Google and find all your answers, other wise you will only stir up
the Penguin nest here.

victor

On 26/08/2010 12:52 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe '
> or the backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of
> these characters until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in
> text editors (e.g. Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of
> my intentions by MS drives me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned off?

It isn't normal behavior, my W7 doesn't do it.

Gib Bogle

victor wrote:
> On 26/08/2010 12:52 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>> Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe '
>> or the backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of
>> these characters until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in
>> text editors (e.g. Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of
>> my intentions by MS drives me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned off?

> It isn't normal behavior, my W7 doesn't do it.

Hmm. It happens in Word too, and even at the Command Prompt. Since it isn't
normal behaviour for Windows 7 Professional, what else could be causing it?
This is a new install, so nothing has been changed.
After an online search I checked the keyboard setting, and found it was set to
English-Yoruba. Interesting. OK now.

Gib Bogle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <i545q2$j2j$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>> ... (except for stupid OS bigotry).

> And how would you describe your post?

As expressing irritation.