Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7

Windows 7

Enkidu

On 26/08/10 14:23, Gib Bogle wrote:
> victor wrote:
>> On 26/08/2010 12:52 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe '
>>> or the backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of
>>> these characters until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in
>>> text editors (e.g. Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of
>>> my intentions by MS drives me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned
>>> off?

>> It isn't normal behavior, my W7 doesn't do it.

> Hmm. It happens in Word too, and even at the Command Prompt. Since it
> isn't normal behaviour for Windows 7 Professional, what else could be
> causing it? This is a new install, so nothing has been changed.
> After an online search I checked the keyboard setting, and found it was
> set to English-Yoruba. Interesting. OK now.

Ah, I was going to suggest that it might be the keyboard. Those
double/delayed keys are so that non-English or accented characters can
be input from a fairly standard keyboard.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Enkidu

On 26/08/10 15:32, Gib Bogle wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> Gib Bogle wrote:
>>
>>> There are so many small annoyances. Windows will not let me type '\'
>>> in many places. It ignores the keystroke until I hit '\' again, then
>>> it displays '\\', so I have to backspace. WTF?

>> Turn your keyboard back to US not one of the international options if
>> you dont like dead keys

> It's fixed. It wasn't a matter of dead keys, but of keys that had to be
> hit twice, and would then display two characters.

'Dead keys' are the keys that are hit on some keyboards to produce
accented characters. Hit a 'dead key' and then hit another key on a
(say) french keyboard and it is shown as accented.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Sweetpea

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:31:10 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

> Like Matty, I don't understand why MS have to change things that seem to
> working OK. Chalk it up to age.

I believe the technical reason is "change it for the sake of making it
appear to be new".

Microsoft fundamentally disagrees with the premise "if it isn't broken
don't fix it".

victor

On 26/08/2010 12:32 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> victor wrote:
>> On 26/08/2010 10:34 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> I'm having my first exposure to Windows 7 (migrating from XP) and I'm
>>> finding it quite frustrating. First, it insists on popping up extraneous
>>> stuff all over the place, I guess because someone thinks it makes it
>>> more user-friendly, but it just makes it more user-irritating for me,
>>> just a distraction. Trying to emulate the Mac, I presume. I don't need
>>> little pictures to tell me what things are, I can read.
>>>
>>> More seriously annoying is the fact that although I supposedly have
>>> administrator rights, I can't do some things that I expect to be able to
>>> do. E.g., I want to install some software in Program Files (x86). It
>>> will not permit Winzip to unzip into that directory. I have to unzip
>>> into a temp directory somewhere, then copy the folders one by one to the
>>> destination. Even then it insists on telling me each time that I can't
>>> do it, then lets me do it after I click "continue".
>>>
>>> Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?
>>>
>>> Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).

>> You could try
>> Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
>> Then slide the slider to Never Notify.

> Thanks, I'm trying this. Actually it's under:
> Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control Settings

Yes that is another way of getting to the same panel.
FFS !!

victor

On 26/08/2010 2:23 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> victor wrote:
>> On 26/08/2010 12:52 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe '
>>> or the backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of
>>> these characters until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in
>>> text editors (e.g. Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of
>>> my intentions by MS drives me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned
>>> off?

>> It isn't normal behavior, my W7 doesn't do it.

> Hmm. It happens in Word too, and even at the Command Prompt. Since it
> isn't normal behaviour for Windows 7 Professional, what else could be
> causing it? This is a new install, so nothing has been changed.
> After an online search I checked the keyboard setting, and found it was
> set to English-Yoruba. Interesting. OK now.

Mistakes were made.

Gib Bogle

victor wrote:
> On 26/08/2010 12:32 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>> victor wrote:

>>> You could try
>>> Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
>>> Then slide the slider to Never Notify.

>> Thanks, I'm trying this. Actually it's under:
>> Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control
>> Settings

> Yes that is another way of getting to the same panel.
> FFS !!

Calm down. Now I see what you were thinking of:

Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change User
Account Control Settings

For some reason it didn't occur to me to follow the Family Safety path.

Gib Bogle

Sweetpea wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:31:10 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>> Like Matty, I don't understand why MS have to change things that seem to
>> working OK. Chalk it up to age.

> I believe the technical reason is "change it for the sake of making it
> appear to be new".
>
> Microsoft fundamentally disagrees with the premise "if it isn't broken
> don't fix it".

I'm sure I'll get used to most of it. The unavoidable pictures will probably
always seem to just clutter up the screen, though. I grew up reading books,
kids today grow up watching video.

I'm just grateful that the MS windows don't engage in the song-and-dance that
Mac designers seem to think is essential. Just the facts, Ma'am.

victor

On 26/08/2010 8:41 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> victor wrote:

>>> Thanks, I'm trying this. Actually it's under:
>>> Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control
>>> Settings

>> Yes that is another way of getting to the same panel.
>> FFS !!

> Calm down. Now I see what you were thinking of:
>
> Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change
> User Account Control Settings
>
> For some reason it didn't occur to me to follow the Family Safety path.

You must be using the Home version.
The Professional version just says User Accounts, as I said.

--
"I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly."

Gib Bogle

victor wrote:
>> Calm down. Now I see what you were thinking of:
>>
>> Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change
>> User Account Control Settings
>>
>> For some reason it didn't occur to me to follow the Family Safety path.

> You must be using the Home version.
> The Professional version just says User Accounts, as I said.

It calls itself Windows 7 Professional.

victor

On 26/08/2010 10:10 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
> victor wrote:
>>> Calm down. Now I see what you were thinking of:
>>>
>>> Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change
>>> User Account Control Settings
>>>
>>> For some reason it didn't occur to me to follow the Family Safety path.

>> You must be using the Home version.
>> The Professional version just says User Accounts, as I said.
>>

> It calls itself Windows 7 Professional.

See that is why its so superior to Linux, it has a Family Safe friendly
Home version AND a Professional version for Professional Users.
And an Ultimate version that probably comes with a free pole dancing
stripper.