Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Transferring e-mails from Outlook to Thunderbird etc..

Transferring e-mails from Outlook to Thunderbird etc..

tony sayer

Wonder if anyone could advise please?

We have an older machine with Outlook thereon which only supports IDE
drives and runs under WIN 2000 Pro, this poor old thing throws up the
occasional wobbly due to a lot of duff caps thereon.

We need to transfer some existing e-mails on that machine to a new one
running WIN 7 Pro with a new Intel MB which is SATA drives only not that
this should make much difference!..

Now I have imported the mails from Outlook on the old machine to
Thunderbird on the -old- machine and that works fine.

However can anyone advise a way of copying or export / importing these
to the New WIN 7 machine which will only run Thunderbird?.

I have both machines talking to each other over a workgroup and ethernet
connected and that way have transferred a lot of other files etc.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the Thunderbird support site that
advises on this at all..

Anyone any ideas please?..

--
Tony Sayer

Roger Mills

On 25/08/2010 11:25, tony sayer wrote:

> Wonder if anyone could advise please?
>
> We have an older machine with Outlook thereon which only supports IDE
> drives and runs under WIN 2000 Pro, this poor old thing throws up the
> occasional wobbly due to a lot of duff caps thereon.
>
> We need to transfer some existing e-mails on that machine to a new one
> running WIN 7 Pro with a new Intel MB which is SATA drives only not that
> this should make much difference!..
>

> Now I have imported the mails from Outlook on the old machine to
> Thunderbird on the -old- machine and that works fine.
>
> However can anyone advise a way of copying or export / importing these
> to the New WIN 7 machine which will only run Thunderbird?.
>
> I have both machines talking to each other over a workgroup and ethernet
> connected and that way have transferred a lot of other files etc.
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything on the Thunderbird support site that
> advises on this at all..
>
> Anyone any ideas please?..

Several thoughts . . .

Firstly , I can't understand why you can't run Outlook under Win7 if
that's what you want to do. The Office 2007 version works perfectly well
on my Win7 system - and I guess that the Office 2000 version would,
though I haven't tried it.

Secondly, if you've only imported your Outlook .pst file into
Thunderbird on the old machine to check that it works, and haven't
created a lot of new stuff in Thunderbird, why not simply import the
same Outlook file into Thunderbird on the new machine?

Finally, as Andy Burns has said, Thunderbird stores its messages etc. in
profile files (whose location is Op Sys dependent) - so you should be
able to overwrite[1] the profiles on the new machine with the ones on
the old machine which contain all your ex-Outlook stuff.

[1] Or copy the profiles from the old machine to some convenient
non-default location on the new machine, and then edit the profiles.ini
file to tell Thunderbird where to find them. It's all explained in the
Help Files under 'Profiles'.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Man at B&Q

On Aug 25, 11:25*am, tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Wonder if anyone could advise please?
>
> We have an older machine with Outlook thereon which only supports IDE
> drives and runs under WIN 2000 Pro, this poor old thing throws up the
> occasional wobbly due to a lot of duff caps thereon.
>
> We need to transfer some existing e-mails on that machine to a new one
> running WIN 7 Pro with a new Intel MB which is SATA drives only not that
> this should make much difference!..
>
> Now I have imported the mails from Outlook on the old machine to
> Thunderbird on the -old- machine and that works fine.
>
> However can anyone advise a way of copying or export / importing these
> to the New WIN 7 machine which will only run Thunderbird?.
>
> I have both machines talking to each other over a workgroup and ethernet
> connected and that way have transferred a lot of other files etc.
>
> There doesn't seem to be anything on the Thunderbird support site that
> advises on this at all..

I've just switched to Thunderbird as my employer is no longer part of
the M$ home use program and I have to (to be a good boy) remove Office
form my home machine.

With TB you can copy the profile folder around but you will need to
edit the .ini file if it ends up on a different path on the new
machine. I found this somewhere in the TB help or FAQ about backing up
e-mail.

I can't say I'm overly impressed with some of TBs "features". The main
bugbears so far: I selected all the options to import from Outlook but
it didn't import any of my address book or contacts, nor the account
settings. On one user account it refuses to check for mail on start
up. You have to open a folder before you can drag mail into a
subfolder, whereas Outlook would open them as you hovered over them.

Like a lot of these things, it's no better or worse than the M$
equivalent, just different.

MBQ

tony sayer

>> Anyone any ideas please?..
>>

>Several thoughts . . .
>
>Firstly , I can't understand why you can't run Outlook under Win7 if
>that's what you want to do. The Office 2007 version works perfectly well
>on my Win7 system - and I guess that the Office 2000 version would,
>though I haven't tried it.

Well the original Office disc is sodded up and theres not enough loot in
the budget at the moment to go a newer copy of Office again. On this PC
the user is going to get used to Open Office and Thunderbird and tough
if they don't like it;!...

>Secondly, if you've only imported your Outlook .pst file into
>Thunderbird on the old machine to check that it works, and haven't
>created a lot of new stuff in Thunderbird, why not simply import the
>same Outlook file into Thunderbird on the new machine?

If I knew how to do that I'd have done it by now but if anyone knows how
thats done I'd be obliged its all learning ...

When TB was started on the old machine it asked what to import from
Outlook which of course was on the olde machine but isn't on the new
one..

>Finally, as Andy Burns has said, Thunderbird stores its messages etc. in
>profile files (whose location is Op Sys dependent) - so you should be
>able to overwrite[1] the profiles on the new machine with the ones on
>the old machine which contain all your ex-Outlook stuff.

Yes I'm just looking at that and thanks Andy for that info..

>[1] Or copy the profiles from the old machine to some convenient
>non-default location on the new machine, and then edit the profiles.ini
>file to tell Thunderbird where to find them. It's all explained in the
>Help Files under 'Profiles'.

Yes RTFM of course Just like I tell everyone!...
--
Tony Sayer

Roger Mills

On 25/08/2010 22:11, tony sayer wrote:

>>> Anyone any ideas please?..
>>>

>> Several thoughts . . .
>>
>> Firstly , I can't understand why you can't run Outlook under Win7 if
>> that's what you want to do. The Office 2007 version works perfectly well
>> on my Win7 system - and I guess that the Office 2000 version would,
>> though I haven't tried it.

> Well the original Office disc is sodded up and theres not enough loot in
> the budget at the moment to go a newer copy of Office again. On this PC
> the user is going to get used to Open Office and Thunderbird and tough
> if they don't like it;!...

Fair enough.

>> Secondly, if you've only imported your Outlook .pst file into
>> Thunderbird on the old machine to check that it works, and haven't
>> created a lot of new stuff in Thunderbird, why not simply import the
>> same Outlook file into Thunderbird on the new machine?

> If I knew how to do that I'd have done it by now but if anyone knows how
> thats done I'd be obliged its all learning ...
>
> When TB was started on the old machine it asked what to import from
> Outlook which of course was on the olde machine but isn't on the new
> one..

Yes, but I doubt whether it needed to *run* Outlook to do the conversion
- my guess it that it only needed access to Outlook's data (.pst) file.
If you copied the file to the place on the new machine where Outlook
would have had put it had it been installed, there is at least a
fighting chance that TB could import it. But I could be wrong!

>> Finally, as Andy Burns has said, Thunderbird stores its messages etc. in
>> profile files (whose location is Op Sys dependent) - so you should be
>> able to overwrite[1] the profiles on the new machine with the ones on
>> the old machine which contain all your ex-Outlook stuff.

> Yes I'm just looking at that and thanks Andy for that info..
>>
>> [1] Or copy the profiles from the old machine to some convenient
>> non-default location on the new machine, and then edit the profiles.ini
>> file to tell Thunderbird where to find them. It's all explained in the
>> Help Files under 'Profiles'.

> Yes RTFM of course Just like I tell everyone!...

I hope you've now got it sorted one way or another!
--
Cheers,
Roger

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Andy
Burns <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>tony sayer wrote:
>
>> We have an older machine with Outlook thereon
>> We need to transfer some existing e-mails on that machine to a new one
>> running WIN 7 Pro
>>
>> Now I have imported the mails from Outlook on the old machine to
>> Thunderbird on the -old- machine and that works fine.
>>
>> However can anyone advise a way of copying or export / importing these
>> to the New WIN 7 machine which will only run Thunderbird?.

>Assuming there is no information in the new machine's thunderbird you
>want to keep, just copy the whole of the thunderbird profile folder from
>the old machine to the new one ...
>
>http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Profiles

Done!..

And it seems to work fine, apart from asking for the mail password!.

Which I've long forgotten and now reset...

Thanks)..
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, John
Rumm <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>On 25/08/2010 19:52, Roger Mills wrote:
>> On 25/08/2010 11:25, tony sayer wrote:
>>>
>>> Wonder if anyone could advise please?
>>>
>>> We have an older machine with Outlook thereon which only supports IDE
>>> drives and runs under WIN 2000 Pro, this poor old thing throws up the
>>> occasional wobbly due to a lot of duff caps thereon.
>>>
>>> We need to transfer some existing e-mails on that machine to a new one
>>> running WIN 7 Pro with a new Intel MB which is SATA drives only not that
>>> this should make much difference!..
>>>

>>> Now I have imported the mails from Outlook on the old machine to
>>> Thunderbird on the -old- machine and that works fine.
>>>
>>> However can anyone advise a way of copying or export / importing these
>>> to the New WIN 7 machine which will only run Thunderbird?.
>>>
>>> I have both machines talking to each other over a workgroup and ethernet
>>> connected and that way have transferred a lot of other files etc.
>>>
>>> There doesn't seem to be anything on the Thunderbird support site that
>>> advises on this at all..
>>>
>>> Anyone any ideas please?..
>>>

>> Several thoughts . . .
>>
>> Firstly , I can't understand why you can't run Outlook under Win7 if
>> that's what you want to do. The Office 2007 version works perfectly well
>> on my Win7 system - and I guess that the Office 2000 version would,
>> though I haven't tried it.

>I have not tried outlook, but I know Word versions older than 2003 are a
>problem to get running on Vista or later.

Earlier Word versions don't seem to be a problem.

Vista is -the- problem;(..
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

>>> I have not tried outlook, but I know Word versions older than 2003 are a
>>> problem to get running on Vista or later.
>>>

>> Earlier Word versions don't seem to be a problem.
>>
>> Vista is -the- problem;(..

>Well indeed, but try Word 2000 on Win 7, and it gets into a fight with
>the system over not being able to run with admin privilege all the time.
>With 2003 you can get round it by doing a first "run as admin" on the
>first run, and then after it runs ok as a normal user.

And for everything else theres open office...
--
Tony Sayer