Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > netbook OS

netbook OS

tomm

I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in 2
different operating systems.
Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

joevan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, "tomm"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in 2
>different operating systems.
> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
>Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

I am not sure what you mean by win 7 starter edition. If it is win 7
home premium or whatever go for it. It works great. Better than xp.

tomm

"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, "tomm"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in
>>2
>>different operating systems.
>> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
>> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
>>Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP
>>

> I am not sure what you mean by win 7 starter edition. If it is win 7
> home premium or whatever go for it. It works great. Better than xp.

Im sure most versions of win 7 are ok but the starter edition seems to be a
stripped down version used mainly for netbooks. From what I read you cant
even change the desktop wallpaper ?!

Sunny

"tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c74575e$0$13506$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in
>2 different operating systems.
> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

FIW I just bought 2 Netbooks with Win7 Starter Edition, and wish I had
been offered WinXP.
7Starter edition is a bit restricted so I "upgraded to Win7 Home which
devoured the saving I made on the Netbook prices. (Win XP will still be
supported for a couple of years)

OldGringo38

On 8/24/2010 6:47 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> "joevan"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, "tomm"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in
>>> 2
>>> different operating systems.
>>> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
>>> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
>>> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP
>>>

>> I am not sure what you mean by win 7 starter edition. If it is win 7
>> home premium or whatever go for it. It works great. Better than xp.

> Im sure most versions of win 7 are ok but the starter edition seems to be a
> stripped down version used mainly for netbooks. From what I read you cant
> even change the desktop wallpaper ?!

LOL Desktop Wallpaper is nothing but a waste of time and resources
unless you have recently had a lobotomy. <g>

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

tomm

"OldGringo38" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i51m6l$pkh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 8/24/2010 6:47 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
> following tidbit of information:
>> "joevan"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I am not sure what you mean by win 7 starter edition. If it is win 7
>>> home premium or whatever go for it. It works great. Better than xp.

>> Im sure most versions of win 7 are ok but the starter edition seems to
>> be a
>> stripped down version used mainly for netbooks. From what I read you
>> cant
>> even change the desktop wallpaper ?!
>>

> LOL Desktop Wallpaper is nothing but a waste of time and resources
> unless you have recently had a lobotomy. <g>

.....I realise changing the wallpaper is not the end of the world , but was
just pointing out this is just one of the simple tasks that is not possible

OldGringo38

On 8/24/2010 7:04 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> "OldGringo38"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i51m6l$pkh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On 8/24/2010 6:47 PM Just to please that super-ego, tomm wrote the
>> following tidbit of information:
>>> "joevan"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Im sure most versions of win 7 are ok but the starter edition seems to
>>> be a
>>> stripped down version used mainly for netbooks. From what I read you
>>> cant
>>> even change the desktop wallpaper ?!
>>>

>> LOL Desktop Wallpaper is nothing but a waste of time and resources
>> unless you have recently had a lobotomy.<g>
>>

> ....I realise changing the wallpaper is not the end of the world , but was
> just pointing out this is just one of the simple tasks that is not possible

<g> A little less eye candy is good for your diet.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have

Mike Easter

tomm wrote:
> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes in 2
> different operating systems.
> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.

If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP than
Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mike Easter wrote:

> tomm wrote:
>> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at
>> comes in 2 different operating systems. Win XP is £20 cheaper than
>> win 7 starter edition. Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference
>> but which should I go for ? Just thinking about when MS stop
>> supporting XP

> From what I've seen advertised, if you can get the netbook with XP,
> then it doesn't have much ram, like 1G or so.
>
> If I were buying a netbook with 1G of ram, I would rather have XP
> than Win7 starter, because you can do more things with 1G of ram in XP than
> you can Win7 even if it is just the starter.

This one might fit even better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Netbook_Edition
It certainly costs less.
http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook

--
-bts

Dan C

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:36:03 +0100, tomm wrote:

> I am getting my son a netbook but the same model I am looking at comes
> in 2 different operating systems.
> Win XP is £20 cheaper than win 7 starter edition.
> Not tooo bothered about the £20 difference but which should I go for ?
> Just thinking about when MS stop supporting XP

Both of those "OS's" are pieces of ****.

Get the cheaper one, wipe the crap off the disk, and install Linux.

I recommend this one: http://www.slackware.com

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he declared his horse a Senator.