Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB wireless adapters

USB wireless adapters

joevan

Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:48:37 -0400, joevan wrote:

> Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
> much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of seeing
> first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.

I was ****ing around with a Linksys USB wireless 802.11g adapter and even
though it was connected at 54 mb/s it was dog-ass slow. Can't tell you
much more about them.

Mike Easter

joevan wrote:
> Are they all about the same or are some really better?

Of course they aren't all the same. Don't be silly. The price and
capability ranges from 'little bitty ones' to great big ones on a
longish cable with a big antenna of various configurations and a lot of
gain.

> I haven't had
> much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
> seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.

Is this usb wireless only supposed to be the equivalent of a cheap
wireless in a laptop which is missing an internal one (and therefore
very conveniently portable) or is this usb wireless supposed to be
*replacing* a LT's built-in cheap wireless for something a lot better
because of marginal signal problems?

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

joevan wrote:
Subject: USB wireless adapters

.... also, you started your new message question topic by typing in the
subject first. Instead, you should start 'composing' your message by
composing a proper message body first - which message body is made of
only complete sentences and sufficient background to not be ambiguous -
result in an ambiguous question.

Because of starting in the wrong place, your message body is missing
some essential elements.

Your message body does not mention USB wireless adapters at all, much
less properly define unambiguously what your actual question is trying
to compare or find out.

--
Mike Easter

joevan

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:04:16 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>Subject: USB wireless adapters
>
>... also, you started your new message question topic by typing in the
>subject first. Instead, you should start 'composing' your message by
>composing a proper message body first - which message body is made of
>only complete sentences and sufficient background to not be ambiguous -
>result in an ambiguous question.
>
>Because of starting in the wrong place, your message body is missing
>some essential elements.
>
>Your message body does not mention USB wireless adapters at all, much
>less properly define unambiguously what your actual question is trying
>to compare or find out.

I want to use it on my old desktop. The netgear one I have been using
was a refurbished one and seems to have lost its umph. It has an
extender with it which I can use with a new usb unit. I have seen them
for 30 bucks and some less. Just wondering if I should spend more for
better connection.

This one at Newegg for 30 bucks shipped. I guess it is ok but should
I get something else.

D-Link DWA-140 USB 2.0 Wireless RangeBooster N USB Adapter
Item #: N82E16833127244
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Mike Easter

joevan wrote:
> Mike Easter

> I want to use it on my old desktop.

Why wouldn't the DT be better using wired ethernet? Or by adding a
wireless nic? Why would you choose USB wireless for the DT?

I have 2 DT's that I have mounted on 'a roller' which is a computer
station which can be moved from right here beside me to the kitchen. The
two towers in the base are connected by KVM to a single monitor, kb,
mouse on the top surface.

The kitchen doesn't have a cable. I added a nic to each of the towers to
supplement their wired ethernet with wireless. Both of the nics have an
external antenna which is detachable and I can position the detached
antenna to optimize the signal.

> The netgear one I have been using
> was a refurbished one and seems to have lost its umph. It has an
> extender with it which I can use with a new usb unit. I have seen them
> for 30 bucks and some less. Just wondering if I should spend more for
> better connection.

I'm hearing bits and pieces. There is a netgear wireless of some type
either USB or a PCI card and you have alluded to something wrong with
its capabilities, but you haven't defined whether that is because there
is some kind of problem with the location of the DT vis the access point
it is trying to get.

> This one at Newegg for 30 bucks shipped. I guess it is ok but should
> I get something else.
>
> D-Link DWA-140 USB 2.0 Wireless RangeBooster N USB Adapter
> Item #: N82E16833127244
> Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

I don't see why they name it a 'range booster'

There are 50 reviews at newegg. How many of those have you read? 22% of
them rated it 3 or below, but the good news is the rest rated it 4 or above.

It looks to me like a 'regular ol' wireless N usb, which being N is
probably what they consider 'boost' - but N isn't worth paying more for
if -1- you don't have an N network and -2- you transmission is going to
be using G for that or other reasons.

I like sales as much as the next person, and while newegg calls this a
$60 device on sale for $30, the only reason it was priced at $60 in the
past was because there was a time when N adapters were priced higher.
Nowadays you can find them on sale all over the place.

Overall, usb wireless works OK. So you could buy it and check it out.

However, I would be more interested in the results of troubleshooting
what is wrong with your DT's relationship to its network, why it isn't
using ethernet, and other more information about whatever the
undescribed netgear is.

--
Mike Easter

Meat Plow

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:43:51 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> joevan wrote:
>> Mike Easter

>> I want to use it on my old desktop.

> Why wouldn't the DT be better using wired ethernet? Or by adding a
> wireless nic? Why would you choose USB wireless for the DT?
>
> I have 2 DT's that I have mounted on 'a roller' which is a computer
> station which can be moved from right here beside me to the kitchen. The
> two towers in the base are connected by KVM to a single monitor, kb,
> mouse on the top surface.
>
> The kitchen doesn't have a cable. I added a nic to each of the towers to
> supplement their wired ethernet with wireless. Both of the nics have an
> external antenna which is detachable and I can position the detached
> antenna to optimize the signal.
>
>> The netgear one I have been using
>> was a refurbished one and seems to have lost its umph. It has an
>> extender with it which I can use with a new usb unit. I have seen them
>> for 30 bucks and some less. Just wondering if I should spend more for
>> better connection.

> I'm hearing bits and pieces. There is a netgear wireless of some type
> either USB or a PCI card and you have alluded to something wrong with
> its capabilities, but you haven't defined whether that is because there
> is some kind of problem with the location of the DT vis the access point
> it is trying to get.
>
>> This one at Newegg for 30 bucks shipped. I guess it is ok but should
>> I get something else.
>>
>> D-Link DWA-140 USB 2.0 Wireless RangeBooster N USB Adapter Item #:
>> N82E16833127244
>> Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

> I don't see why they name it a 'range booster'
>
> There are 50 reviews at newegg. How many of those have you read? 22% of
> them rated it 3 or below, but the good news is the rest rated it 4 or
> above.
>
> It looks to me like a 'regular ol' wireless N usb, which being N is
> probably what they consider 'boost' - but N isn't worth paying more for
> if -1- you don't have an N network and -2- you transmission is going to
> be using G for that or other reasons.
>
> I like sales as much as the next person, and while newegg calls this a
> $60 device on sale for $30, the only reason it was priced at $60 in the
> past was because there was a time when N adapters were priced higher.
> Nowadays you can find them on sale all over the place.
>
> Overall, usb wireless works OK. So you could buy it and check it out.
>
> However, I would be more interested in the results of troubleshooting
> what is wrong with your DT's relationship to its network, why it isn't
> using ethernet, and other more information about whatever the
> undescribed netgear is.

Stop badgering him you petulant ****snot.

OldGringo38

On 8/24/2010 2:48 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
> much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
> seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.

Hope the link works: I just bought this one on eBay and it works better
than the PCI Netgear.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

OldGringo38

On 8/24/2010 5:00 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:35:06 -0500, OldGringo38
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 8/24/2010 2:48 PM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
>> following tidbit of information:
>>> Are they all about the same or are some really better? I haven't had
>>> much to test with and thought some here have had the advantage of
>>> seeing first hand the advantages of one or the other vs. price etc.

>> Hope the link works: I just bought this one on eBay and it works better
>> than the PCI Netgear.
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

> Thanks, I ordered one and will let you know how it works. I guess 9
> bucks is not leaving much to chance.

LOL for $9.00 if it don't work you can throw it away or give it to your
local church thrift store. 2Wire is the equipment issued by AT&T, but
they charge a hell of a lot more for it. <g>

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have

John Holmes

Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

LOL

--
<snip>