Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Death of the slapping mirror

Re: Death of the slapping mirror

Tim Conway

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> New Sony Alpha 55 with semitransparent non-moving mirror, only 30% light
> loss but always on fast phase-AF, EVF.
> No more issues with noise and vibrations caused by a slapping mirror,
> phase AF available when shooting video.
>
> Quite an interesting innovation, I wonder if other manufacturers will
> choose the same path. The advantage over an EVIL design is the phase-AF.
> --

Might have advantages, but it sounds like a dark viewfinder to me unless
it's evf.

Robert Spanjaard

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:13:27 -0400, Tim Conway wrote:

> "Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> New Sony Alpha 55 with semitransparent non-moving mirror, only 30%
>> light loss but always on fast phase-AF, EVF. No more issues with noise
>> and vibrations caused by a slapping mirror, phase AF available when
>> shooting video.
>>
>> Quite an interesting innovation, I wonder if other manufacturers will
>> choose the same path. The advantage over an EVIL design is the
>> phase-AF. --

> Might have advantages, but it sounds like a dark viewfinder to me unless
> it's evf.

It does have an EVF, and so it is an EVIL design.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Kennedy McEwen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Neil
Harrington <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>One additional advantage (other than less noise and vibration) might
>be complete sealing of the mirror box, keeping dust away from the sensor
>permanently.

It isn't sealed, and it flips up to allow the sensor to be cleaned.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page4.asp
Just like running a marathon with a car door strapped to your back -
you can wind the window down when you feel hot.
--
Kennedy

Bruce

"Tim Conway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> New Sony Alpha 55 with semitransparent non-moving mirror, only 30% light
>> loss but always on fast phase-AF, EVF.
>> No more issues with noise and vibrations caused by a slapping mirror,
>> phase AF available when shooting video.
>>
>> Quite an interesting innovation, I wonder if other manufacturers will
>> choose the same path. The advantage over an EVIL design is the phase-AF.
>> --

>Might have advantages, but it sounds like a dark viewfinder to me unless
>it's evf.

It's an EVF.

It has to be one of the most pointless cameras ever made.