Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Problem: Replacing or upgrading the hard-disk

Re: Problem: Replacing or upgrading the hard-disk

Meat Plow

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:58:00 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:

> Have an old HP Pavilion m7575a which has a 200GB HDD
>
> Asus P5LP-LE
>
> Is there anyway to tell if I add say a 500GB or 1TB HDD that it will be
> accepted?
>
> Specs usually say which CPUs and RAM a mobo will accept but are silent
> on HDD size
>
> TIA
>
> jd

If the IDE controller and BIOS will do 48 bit LBA then there is no real
size limit.

chuckcar

Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed). I.am:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:58:00 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:
>
>> Have an old HP Pavilion m7575a which has a 200GB HDD
>>
>> Asus P5LP-LE
>>
>> Is there anyway to tell if I add say a 500GB or 1TB HDD that it will
>> be accepted?
>>
>> Specs usually say which CPUs and RAM a mobo will accept but are
>> silent on HDD size
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> jd

> If the IDE controller and BIOS will do 48 bit LBA then there is no
> real size limit.

As compared to drives *presently* on the market. This is one thing that
will *always* become a problem in future computers. At least until they
jump up the address bits a *lot* in one step instead of just 4 or 8 or
16 each time.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:11:51 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed). I.am:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:58:00 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Have an old HP Pavilion m7575a which has a 200GB HDD
>>>
>>> Asus P5LP-LE
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to tell if I add say a 500GB or 1TB HDD that it will
>>> be accepted?
>>>
>>> Specs usually say which CPUs and RAM a mobo will accept but are silent
>>> on HDD size
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> jd

>> If the IDE controller and BIOS will do 48 bit LBA then there is no real
>> size limit.
>>

> As compared to drives *presently* on the market. This is one thing that
> will *always* become a problem in future computers. At least until they
> jump up the address bits a *lot* in one step instead of just 4 or 8 or
> 16 each time.

If a Bear shits in the woods and nobody is around, does the bear-****
smell?

joevan

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:11:51 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) .I.am:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:58:00 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Have an old HP Pavilion m7575a which has a 200GB HDD
>>>
>>> Asus P5LP-LE
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to tell if I add say a 500GB or 1TB HDD that it will
>>> be accepted?
>>>
>>> Specs usually say which CPUs and RAM a mobo will accept but are
>>> silent on HDD size
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> jd

>> If the IDE controller and BIOS will do 48 bit LBA then there is no
>> real size limit.
>>

>As compared to drives *presently* on the market. This is one thing that
>will *always* become a problem in future computers. At least until they
>jump up the address bits a *lot* in one step instead of just 4 or 8 or
>16 each time.

WTF!!!!

wrote:

>Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) .I.am:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:58:00 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Have an old HP Pavilion m7575a which has a 200GB HDD
>>>
>>> Asus P5LP-LE
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to tell if I add say a 500GB or 1TB HDD that it will
>>> be accepted?
>>>
>>> Specs usually say which CPUs and RAM a mobo will accept but are
>>> silent on HDD size
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> jd

>> If the IDE controller and BIOS will do 48 bit LBA then there is no
>> real size limit.
>>

>As compared to drives *presently* on the market. This is one thing that
>will *always* become a problem in future computers. At least until they
>jump up the address bits a *lot* in one step instead of just 4 or 8 or
>16 each time.

WTF!!!!

Desk Rabbit

On 23/08/2010 17:11, chuckcar wrote:
> Meat Plow<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed). I.am:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:58:00 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Have an old HP Pavilion m7575a which has a 200GB HDD
>>>
>>> Asus P5LP-LE
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to tell if I add say a 500GB or 1TB HDD that it will
>>> be accepted?
>>>
>>> Specs usually say which CPUs and RAM a mobo will accept but are
>>> silent on HDD size
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> jd

>> If the IDE controller and BIOS will do 48 bit LBA then there is no
>> real size limit.
>>

> As compared to drives *presently* on the market. This is one thing that
> will *always* become a problem in future computers. At least until they
> jump up the address bits a *lot* in one step instead of just 4 or 8 or
> 16 each time.

You do realise that 48 bit LBA allows up to 144 petabytes don't you?

Meat Plow

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:26:38 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:

> On 23/08/2010 17:11, chuckcar wrote:
>> Meat Plow<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news(E-Mail Removed). I.am:

>>> If the IDE controller and BIOS will do 48 bit LBA then there is no
>>> real size limit.
>>>

>> As compared to drives *presently* on the market. This is one thing that
>> will *always* become a problem in future computers. At least until they
>> jump up the address bits a *lot* in one step instead of just 4 or 8 or
>> 16 each time.

> You do realise that 48 bit LBA allows up to 144 petabytes don't you?

Ummmm maybe chucktard wanted more? Like 288 zoopabytes which is 10 to the
100th times as many as a petabyte.

chuckcar

Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:42:40 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If the IDE controller and BIOS will do 48 bit LBA then there is no
>>real size limit.

> And how can one tell if it does 48 bit LBA or not?

By knowing what BIOS and IDE controller you have. More
generally, by the year the BIOS was produced. You can see
this when the computer first boots usually.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:45:31 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:

>>> And how can one tell if it does 48 bit LBA or not?
>>>

>>By knowing what BIOS and IDE controller you have. More generally, by the
>>year the BIOS was produced. You can see this when the computer first
>>boots usually.

> This discussion provides some insight:
>
> http://www.computing.net/answers/har...date-for-more-

than-150gb-hdd-support/60906.html

> A rule of thumb might be, If a PC recognizes a HDD above 150GB (in BIOS
> and WIndows XP SP1+), then it will probably be OK to at least 1TB HDD.
> Above that size other non-BIOS factors may come into play(?)
>
> In my case, the PC already has a 200GB HDD which it uses quite happily
> so upgrading to a 500GB HDD should not be a problem.
>
> jd

Someone else posted that 48 bit LBA will support up to 144 petabytes.
1 petabyte = one Quadrillion bytes or 1000 terabytes.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 23:57:16 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:57:02 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>
>>Someone else posted that 48 bit LBA will support up to 144 petabytes. 1
>>petabyte = one Quadrillion bytes or 1000 terabytes.

> This is true in principle, but the reality could be more involved.
>
> I found this site http://www.48bitlba.com/ which comes close to being a
> "mother lode" on the problem, except that it is 5 years old.
>
> The FAQ is worth reading.
>
> I suspect that motherboards manufactured in the last ~2 years can
> handle HDDs up to a few TB (3TB the largest production HDDs at present).
>
> Mobos with SATA controllers almost certainly will handle HDDs with
> capacities above 137GB as SATA came after 48 bit LBA, but if a mobo was
> manufactured when 1TB or greater HDDs did not exist, I don't think you
> can be really sure it supports a HDD of such capacity without actually
> trying and proving it for yourself.
>
> My thinking on this matter is evolving the more I read (and discover my
> ignorance)...
>
> jd

I said the new ATAPI protocol supports up to 144 petabytes.

The old 137gb limited ATA protocol used 16+4+8 = 28 bit addressing for
sector numbers.

You must have 48-bit LBA BIOS. And ATAPI compatible controller.
Or a PCI ATAPI add-on controller card that has the BIOS onboard.

Since there is no current 144,000,000 GB single disk this is like you
said, true in principal. However it will support the largest current
consumer drives. In 2011 expect to see 4 terabyte drives.