Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Intel Celeron 900 vs. AMD Semperon

Intel Celeron 900 vs. AMD Semperon

zxcvbob

I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
(Yea! cheaper for me)

The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.

The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM.
I'm thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler
and will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The
biggest battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big
screen, so maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the
Experts recommend?

Thanks,
Bob

Dan C

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:02:40 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging HP
> that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6" form-factor
> of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3". (Yea! cheaper for
> me)
>
> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory. Both
> have Windows 7 Home Premium.
>
> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM. I'm
> thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler and will
> run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The biggest battery
> hog is probably the backlighting for that big screen, so maybe the
> processor doesn't matter so much. What do the Experts recommend?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Both of those processors are absolute pieces of ****. Look around and
don't get anything less than a Core2Duo.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wondered why he bothered to answer.

Buffalo

zxcvbob wrote:
> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
> (Yea! cheaper for me)
>
> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
>
> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM.
> I'm thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler
> and will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The
> biggest battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big
> screen, so maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the
> Experts recommend?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Are you considering the Compaq CQ62-210US?
I have a friend that mainly wants, email, some program to type her 'momoirs'
on and a built in CD\DVD recorder so that she can save her memoirs and
something she could listen to music on and possibly watch a movie on (DVD).
Anyhow, Office Depot has it on sale for $319.99 after an Insant Rebate of
$100.00 and a mail-in rebate of $30.00.
In case you are price oriented, I'd thought I'd mention it.
Yes, although the Celeron 900 runs at around 2.2GHz and is not real
powerful, it will be more than enough for my female friend.
Buffalo

Buffalo

Grinder wrote:
> On 8/20/2010 8:02 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
>> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
>> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
>> (Yea! cheaper for me)
>>
>> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
>> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
>> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
>> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
>>
>> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM. I'm
>> thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler and
>> will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The biggest
>> battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big screen, so
>> maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the Experts
>> recommend?

> The $30-50 you're saving by getting one of those dog processors is not
> worth it. If you keep your eyes open you can get a computer with the
> specs:
>
> Screen size: 15.4" to 15.6"
> Processor: Dual-core Pentium/Athlon
> Memory: 3GB or better
> Hard drive: 250GB or better
> Opti drive: DVD-RW
> Alt drive: memory card reader
> Webcam: yes
> Network: 10/100Mbps or better like Gigabit
> Wireless: Wireless-G or better like Wireless-N
> O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium or better
>
> ...for $400

Can you give me a lead on where I could find such Laptops with a bright
clear display?
Thanks,
Buffalo
(Must have a Windows 7 OS)

zxcvbob

Buffalo wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
>> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
>> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
>> (Yea! cheaper for me)
>>
>> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
>> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
>> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
>> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
>>
>> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM.
>> I'm thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler
>> and will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The
>> biggest battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big
>> screen, so maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the
>> Experts recommend?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

> Are you considering the Compaq CQ62-210US?
> I have a friend that mainly wants, email, some program to type her 'momoirs'
> on and a built in CD\DVD recorder so that she can save her memoirs and
> something she could listen to music on and possibly watch a movie on (DVD).
> Anyhow, Office Depot has it on sale for $319.99 after an Insant Rebate of
> $100.00 and a mail-in rebate of $30.00.
> In case you are price oriented, I'd thought I'd mention it.
> Yes, although the Celeron 900 runs at around 2.2GHz and is not real
> powerful, it will be more than enough for my female friend.
> Buffalo

Actually, it's a Compaq CQ60-615DX and a HP G61-429wm, and they are
both less than $400 but not much less.

I looked at officeDepot.com and didn't see any $100 rebate. Maybe
it's expired. I'll stop by the local OD or Staples (I don't
remember which it is) tomorrow.

Bob

Buffalo

zxcvbob wrote:
> Buffalo wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
>>> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
>>> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
>>> (Yea! cheaper for me)
>>>
>>> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
>>> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
>>> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
>>> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
>>>
>>> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM.
>>> I'm thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler
>>> and will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The
>>> biggest battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big
>>> screen, so maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the
>>> Experts recommend?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob

>> Are you considering the Compaq CQ62-210US?
>> I have a friend that mainly wants, email, some program to type her
>> 'momoirs' on and a built in CD\DVD recorder so that she can save her
>> memoirs and something she could listen to music on and possibly
>> watch a movie on (DVD). Anyhow, Office Depot has it on sale for
>> $319.99 after an Insant Rebate of $100.00 and a mail-in rebate of
>> $30.00.
>> In case you are price oriented, I'd thought I'd mention it.
>> Yes, although the Celeron 900 runs at around 2.2GHz and is not real
>> powerful, it will be more than enough for my female friend.
>> Buffalo
>>

> Actually, it's a Compaq CQ60-615DX and a HP G61-429wm, and they are
> both less than $400 but not much less.
>
> I looked at officeDepot.com and didn't see any $100 rebate. Maybe
> it's expired. I'll stop by the local OD or Staples (I don't
> remember which it is) tomorrow.
>
> Bob

Actually it starts on the 22nd and I got it in an email from OD.
Buffalo

The Watcher

Is "wifey" a term of endearment? I suspect not,

The processors are garbage. Dan C is correct.

Mat

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:20:40 -0600, Buffalo wrote:

> Grinder wrote:
>> On 8/20/2010 8:02 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
>>> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging
>>> HP that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6"
>>> form-factor of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3".
>>> (Yea! cheaper for me)
>>>
>>> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
>>> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
>>> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory.
>>> Both have Windows 7 Home Premium.
>>>
>>> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM. I'm
>>> thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler and
>>> will run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The biggest
>>> battery hog is probably the backlighting for that big screen, so
>>> maybe the processor doesn't matter so much. What do the Experts
>>> recommend?

>> The $30-50 you're saving by getting one of those dog processors is not
>> worth it. If you keep your eyes open you can get a computer with the
>> specs:
>>
>> Screen size: 15.4" to 15.6"
>> Processor: Dual-core Pentium/Athlon
>> Memory: 3GB or better
>> Hard drive: 250GB or better
>> Opti drive: DVD-RW
>> Alt drive: memory card reader
>> Webcam: yes
>> Network: 10/100Mbps or better like Gigabit
>> Wireless: Wireless-G or better like Wireless-N
>> O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium or better
>>
>> ...for $400

> Can you give me a lead on where I could find such Laptops with a bright
> clear display?
> Thanks,
> Buffalo
> (Must have a Windows 7 OS)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Compaq-G62-219WM/14224748

Took 10 secs to find that, many more just look

zxcvbob

The Watcher wrote:
> Is "wifey" a term of endearment? I suspect not,
>
> The processors are garbage. Dan C is correct.

No, that's her actual name (why I capitalized it.)

Best regards,
Bob

Meat Plow

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:02:40 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> I'm fixin' to buy Wifey a new notebook computer to replace her aging HP
> that's starting to wear out. She actually likes the 15.6" form-factor
> of her old machine and doesn't want a 14.1" or 13.3". (Yea! cheaper for
> me)
>
> The two contenders are from HP/Compac. They are basically the same
> machine but one has a 2.1GHz AMD Semperon and 3GB of memory, and the
> other has a 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor 900 and 2GB of memory. Both
> have Windows 7 Home Premium.
>
> The Intel costs insignificantly more even though it has less RAM. I'm
> thinking I should go with it anyway because it will run cooler and will
> run twice as long on a battery charge. Am I right? The biggest battery
> hog is probably the backlighting for that big screen, so maybe the
> processor doesn't matter so much. What do the Experts recommend?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I would not settle for anything less than an AMD Turion x64 dual core.
If I had to make the choice between the Intel or AMD chip I'd chose the
AMD. Most bang for the buck. Also would buy a laptop with ADM Vision
technology.