Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Intel Buying McAfee

Intel Buying McAfee

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all the
other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
shakeout.

Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

rayc

news:i4l11o$gv1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all
> the
> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
> shakeout.
>
> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

well hopefully they make MacAfee better

twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.

and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days

they did not get a third shot at it

Norton 360 works as per specs

Gib Bogle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all the
> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
> shakeout.
>
> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

There are several free options. I use Avast!

William Brown

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:05:48 +1200, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> With Microsofts entry into the freeware security software market, all the
>> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
>> shakeout.
>>
>> Maybe youll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
>> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe theyll be the same option...

>There are several free options. I use Avast!

From what I have read its that Microsoft is Kaspersky

Have a read of this.

http://savedelete.com/best-free-wind...-software.html

I use Avast and get far to many fault positives, I use the Free
Kaspersky one as a check..

The Free Kaspersky one is not a online virus checker.

http://avptool.ru/en/

William Brown

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:06:28 +1200, "rayc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>news:i4l11o$gv1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all
>> the
>> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
>> shakeout.
>>
>> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
>> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

>well hopefully they make MacAfee better
>
>twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.
>
>and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days
>
>they did not get a third shot at it
>
>Norton 360 works as per specs

No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the post
here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a Gamer
version.

Gordon

On 2010-08-20, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:06:28 +1200, "rayc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>>news:i4l11o$gv1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all
>>> the
>>> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
>>> shakeout.
>>>
>>> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
>>> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

>>well hopefully they make MacAfee better
>>
>>twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.
>>
>>and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days
>>
>>they did not get a third shot at it
>>
>>Norton 360 works as per specs
>>

> No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the post
> here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a Gamer
> version.

Welcome aboard Roger. About time

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:42:09 +1200, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:06:28 +1200, "rayc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>>news:i4l11o$gv1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> With Microsoft’s entry into the freeware security software market, all
>>> the
>>> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
>>> shakeout.
>>>
>>> Maybe you’ll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
>>> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe they’ll be the same option...

>>well hopefully they make MacAfee better
>>
>>twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.
>>
>>and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days
>>
>>they did not get a third shot at it
>>
>>Norton 360 works as per specs
>>

>No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the post
>here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a Gamer
>version.

Wrong. That was older versions. It was fixed and the 2009 and 2010
versions are fast and rate as best or near best in comparison tests.

William Brown

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 04:41:13 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:42:09 +1200, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:06:28 +1200, "rayc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>>>news:i4l11o$gv1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>well hopefully they make MacAfee better
>>>
>>>twice MacAfee program installation killed my desktop pc.
>>>
>>>and I was a customer from way way back in the olden days
>>>
>>>they did not get a third shot at it
>>>
>>>Norton 360 works as per specs
>>>

>>No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the post
>>here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a Gamer
>>version.

>Wrong. That was older versions. It was fixed and the 2009 and 2010
>versions are fast and rate as best or near best in comparison tests.

So why do they have a Gamer version..?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2010-08-20, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]
>> No one in his right mind would ever use Norton's, read some of the
>> post here, it Slows PC down a lot, that is why they brought out a
>> Gamer version.

> Welcome aboard Roger. About time

Hmmm, lots of nym-shifts in the last few weeks for the old codger. My
killfile, which is mainly composed of his aliases, is growing to huge
proportions (I migrate it from one machine to another as I upgrade).

The silly old fart doesn't seem to realise that if he just played nice folks
might not killfile him on sight. I've tried a couple times but invariably
end up plonking him within a week or so so I'm back to pre-emptive plonking.
<shrug>
--
Shaun.

"Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

peterwn

On Aug 20, 4:41*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> With Microsofts entry into the freeware security software market, all the
> other firms are feeling the heat. Looks like we might be heading for a
> shakeout.
>
> Maybe youll end up with just two options for Windows security software:
> Microsoft or Intel/McAfee. Or maybe theyll be the same option...

It has occurred to me that Intel needs to take up some such action to
shore up its 'x86' chips. One big reason against using 'x86' chips
with MS product for embedded applications is security, and if Intel
can help address the security issue it removes one of the downsides of
a 'Wintel' solution. If suppliers of applications with embedded
software use a Linux base, they are not confined to chip types, since
Linux will potentially run on virtually anything as long as it has
adequate capability. MS products are limited to 'x86' chips.