Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > I need a textbook

I need a textbook

F/32 Eurydice

Can anybody recommend a good text for teaching myself Visual C++ .Net
using Visual Studio 2008? The books I've been looking at tell me to
manually do many of the functions that the IDE does automatically, and
they don't cover simple, important stuff, like defining my own class
and hooking it into my solution, or making an MFC project versus a
managed project. TIA.

Ian Collins

On 08/20/10 01:02 PM, F/32 Eurydice wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a good text for teaching myself Visual C++ .Net
> using Visual Studio 2008?

I'm sure someone on a .net focused group can.

--
Ian Collins

joe

F/32 Eurydice wrote:
> Can anybody recommend a good text for teaching myself Visual C++ .Net
> using Visual Studio 2008? The books I've been looking at tell me to
> manually do many of the functions that the IDE does automatically, and
> they don't cover simple, important stuff, like defining my own class
> and hooking it into my solution, or making an MFC project versus a
> managed project. TIA.

Well, this is going to be my (perhaps) "lame" answer. One of my first
gigs as a developer/software engineer was on an already-begun project
where VC++ was already chosen as a tool. At the time, I found "Advanced
Visual C+++ 4" a worthy buy for my bookshelf/library (I still have it!).
Maybe something recent from the same publisher is something to
investigate (?). Of course I already had many other Windows programming
books/tomes on my shelf. What I used to do a lot of was go into Borders
and skim all of the books I found interesting and bought the ones I felt
I could use as a reference. I purchased a lot of books over the years,
but I digress.

Anyway, you seem to be "buying into the marketing hype" that MS is trying
to sell you. It's good to spark interest in potential software
developers, it's quite another to present the situation to benefit one's
self (not that I'm pointing a finger or suggesting any behavior). I think
you may not have a good perspective of the software development
landscape, because you mention PRODUCTS rather than goals/solutions. But
maybe I'm just to "old skool" and my perspective of C++ as a fundamental
tool (as compared to "Snap On open-end wrench" vs. "Matco open-end
wrench") and learning "mechanics" (the "mechanics" of a programming
language and SW development) principles, rather than "working on
Microsoft cars" is outdated.

For what it's worth. No charge.