Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clone win7 partition to ssd

Clone win7 partition to ssd

hwf

Grinder wrote:
> On 8/18/2010 7:52 PM, Mat wrote:
>> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
>> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
>> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions
>> and
>> acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.
>> Thanks

> I would probably give parted magic a whirl:
> http://partedmagic.com/
>
> I cannot definitively say it will work, but it sounds like you can try
> different options with very little risk.

Heres another linux-based option thats chock-a-block useful programs for
Windows recovery:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=trinity

HTH

Mike Easter

Meat Plow wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> (image home 2010)

>> The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
>> Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but if
>> you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.
>>
>> Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
>> prepared partition.

> You don't pre-partition a drive to write a cloned partition to it.

I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
partition contents (with his imaging ware) and write it to a bootable
partition he created somewhere else with some other tool. I should have
used the term 'volume' to refer to the drive space on the ssd instead of
the term partition. However, I would create the volume with a partition
editor such as a linux live CD because I've done that more than use the
Windows tools.

He would like to use the Acronis Image Home software he has.

How would you do it?

--
Mike Easter

Meat Plow

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:25:58 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
>>> Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but
>>> if you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.
>>>
>>> Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
>>> prepared partition.

>> You don't pre-partition a drive to write a cloned partition to it.

> I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
> partition contents

I don't argue semantics.

Mike Easter

Meat Plow wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
>> partition contents

> I don't argue semantics.

Then you can easily adjust to my use of the word 'partition' for/
instead of/ 'volume' on the ssd.

'Make an image of the/one Win7 partition with Acronis. Use a partition
editor and make a bootable ssd *volume* first. Then write the partition
image to the volume with your Acronis.'

--
Mike Easter

Meat Plow

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:20:04 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
>>> partition contents

>> I don't argue semantics.

> Then you can easily adjust to my use of the word 'partition' for/
> instead of/ 'volume' on the ssd.
>
> 'Make an image of the/one Win7 partition with Acronis. Use a partition
> editor and make a bootable ssd *volume* first. Then write the partition
> image to the volume with your Acronis.'

My point was that the target did not need any preparation. Nough said.

Mike Easter

Meat Plow wrote:

>> 'Make an image of the/one Win7 partition with Acronis. Use a partition
>> editor and make a bootable ssd *volume* first. Then write the partition
>> image to the volume with your Acronis.'

> My point was that the target did not need any preparation. Nough said.

There isn't enough said if I don't know what you are talking about. If
you don't want to talk anymore you can stop talking any time you like.

You can't just write the image of the Win7 partition which you make with
the Acronis to the 'bare' - off the shelf - ssd without 'preparing' the
ssd to be bootable and to have a file system and to be a volume to write
the image to.

--
Mike Easter

Meat Plow

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:55:14 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>
>>> 'Make an image of the/one Win7 partition with Acronis. Use a partition
>>> editor and make a bootable ssd *volume* first. Then write the
>>> partition image to the volume with your Acronis.'

>> My point was that the target did not need any preparation. Nough said.

> There isn't enough said if I don't know what you are talking about. If
> you don't want to talk anymore you can stop talking any time you like.

Sorry you lack the ability to comprehend simple ideas. I've noticed it a
lot with your replies. I know someone who is the IT admin of a large
college. He suffers from being able to focus much like you. He takes
prescribed amphetamine salts 'Adderall' and he couldn't do his job
without them. I think it's something you might look into.

Mike Easter

Meat Plow wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> If
>> you don't want to talk anymore you can stop talking any time you like.

> I think it's something you might look into.

Thank you for your medical opinion Dr. Plow.

So, the last thing you have to offer on the OP is buy Acronis Disk
Director 11 and no rebuttal to my suggestion how to use the software he has?

--
Mike Easter

Mat

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:25:58 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
>>> Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but if
>>> you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.
>>>
>>> Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
>>> prepared partition.

>> You don't pre-partition a drive to write a cloned partition to it.

> I didn't use the term 'cloned partition'. I said image the particular
> partition contents (with his imaging ware) and write it to a bootable
> partition he created somewhere else with some other tool. I should have
> used the term 'volume' to refer to the drive space on the ssd instead of
> the term partition. However, I would create the volume with a partition
> editor such as a linux live CD because I've done that more than use the
> Windows tools.
>
> He would like to use the Acronis Image Home software he has.
>
> How would you do it?

Wouldn't the image overwrite the bootable prepared partition thereby
removing the boot record?

Mike Easter

Mat wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> I said image the particular
>> partition contents (with his imaging ware) and write it to a bootable
>> partition he created somewhere else with some other tool. I should have
>> used the term 'volume' to refer to the drive space on the ssd instead of
>> the term partition. However, I would create the volume with a partition
>> editor such as a linux live CD because I've done that more than use the
>> Windows tools.
>>
>> He would like to use the Acronis Image Home software he has.
>>
>> How would you do it?

> Wouldn't the image overwrite the bootable prepared partition thereby
> removing the boot record?

Disclaimer: I have neither Win7 nor Acronis True Image Home 2010 (nor an
ssd for that matter), but I have used some old acronis imaging software
on partitions created with linux live CDs and I have skimmed over some
sections in the Acronis True Image Home 2010 manual from the acronis
site. I've also read a few posts in the acronis forums.

The way I would do it would be to image the partition contents as data
and write that to the SSD which I had prepared as a bootable volume with
the linux live CD. Earlier I assumed that you could do that preparation
with the Windows partition manager, but since I've never seen the Win7
one, I'll back off that idea.

I'm interested in what the OP said when he said that an acronis tech
told him that it (something 'it') couldn't be done with the True Image
ware, but I don't know how the OP presented the issue. Maybe he didn't
say, "What if I do this and this and do it like that, would that work?"

It would be very easy to try it out. He already has the Acronis Ware, he
would just need a linux live CD. Incidentally, the acrnois ware is linux
based as well.

--
Mike Easter