Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > xp KB981852

xp KB981852

chuckcar

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:53:57 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>joevan wrote:
>>
>>> The only message is: the following updates were not installed.
>>> and list this one. Security update for windows xp (KB981852)

>>What happens if you go look in the updates place and see if it was
>>installed?
>>
>>Actually, I usually use a tool like SIW to see what updates are
>>installed - right now I can't remember where to find that in XP.
>>
>>That is, I think that if an update is actually installed and/but you
>>are getting the information that it is not, that you can 'hide' the
>>notification that it is not installed.
>>
>>I'll have to search about how to do that.

> I clicked on the error button in updates and got the following Error
> code 0x8007F0F4. copy pasted it to the ms groups in the update section
> but it says nothing found. Maybe I will just live with that stupid
> thing on my taskbar.

Why is it that *whenever* someone gets one of these stupid MS error
numbers, they *never* give the message or notice it?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

John Holmes

joevan "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Maybe I will just live with that stupid
> thing on my taskbar.

I would *never* live with any stupid thing on my taskbar. I'd search and
search till I find the culprit. After all, that's what make computers fun,
eh?

--
<snip>

Meat Plow

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:09:41 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:53:57 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>What happens if you go look in the updates place and see if it was
>>>installed?
>>>
>>>Actually, I usually use a tool like SIW to see what updates are
>>>installed - right now I can't remember where to find that in XP.
>>>
>>>That is, I think that if an update is actually installed and/but you
>>>are getting the information that it is not, that you can 'hide' the
>>>notification that it is not installed.
>>>
>>>I'll have to search about how to do that.

>> I clicked on the error button in updates and got the following Error
>> code 0x8007F0F4. copy pasted it to the ms groups in the update section
>> but it says nothing found. Maybe I will just live with that stupid
>> thing on my taskbar.

> Why is it that *whenever* someone gets one of these stupid MS error
> numbers, they *never* give the message or notice it?

So you'll get out your TAO cards and conjure up a solution?

Buffalo

joevan wrote:
> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

Sometimes one file will not install properly while doing the update.

Check the update and see if all the files were updated properly. (Dates)

joevan

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:42:06 -0600, "Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
>> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
>> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

>Sometimes one file will not install properly while doing the update.
>
>Check the update and see if all the files were updated properly. (Dates)

I finally got my agent back on the old work horse.
Now I have checked the updates and it is not listed. I wonder if I
should just forget about trying to install that update. It does get
under my skin though. Questioning mind wants to know why.

Dan C

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:

> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should try
> next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

Install Linux over the top of that steaming pile of **** "OS".

Get it here: http://www.slackware.com

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he declared his horse a Senator.

Buffalo

Dan C wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:
>
>> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried
>> google and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I
>> should try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

> Install Linux over the top of that steaming pile of **** "OS".

Hey Dan, I think even Linux is even advanced enough to allow a format.
Buffalo

Dan C

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:54:36 -0600, Buffalo wrote:

> Dan C wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:
>>
>>> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
>>> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
>>> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

>> Install Linux over the top of that steaming pile of **** "OS".
>>

> Hey Dan, I think even Linux is even advanced enough to allow a format.
> Buffalo

Bugger off, Win-droid.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet refused to give him some Pooh-tang.

Meat Plow

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 02:03:52 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:03:45 -0400, joevan wrote:
>
>> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
>> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
>> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

> I[SLAP]

****ing trolls. And suggesting that bloated POS Slackware. **** it
wouldn't even boot on this quad core AMD PhenomII 955.

Bucky Breeder

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> via
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> This update won't install on my new setup on the desktop. Tried google
> and came up with nothing that helped. Does anyone know what I should
> try next. And Dan C., I don't plan to format anything.

"A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated
remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can
help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
install this update, you may have to restart your system."

Download the installer... Google for the KB981852 :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...047-5CE5-4461-
94AA-4EB3258D5E71&displaylang=en

Boot into Safe mode...

Now install it. Then blame it on BP and file your claim.
Feedback as you wish...

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and this transmission
was generated using a near-zero carbon footprint!

http://www.theyost.com/images/viral/zero_carbon.gif