Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No wireless network icon?

No wireless network icon?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

The library across the street just became a hot spot. It is within 300' and
I'm trying to connect using XP Home 2002 on an emachine desktop.

MS help instructs the user to click on the wireless connection icon under
network connections. However, no wireless connection icon is listed. Does
this mean that the emachine does not support wireless connections or that it
is not detecting a wireless network or something else or (e) all of the above?

Clark

I believe, if you don't have an icon that you either don't have a
wireless adapter, or the drivers for the adapter aren't installed.

If you don't have an adapter, you could get one if you have an empty PCI
slot, or they make USB ones also.

300 feet is quite a distance--

Clark

Paul wrote:
> The library across the street just became a hot spot. It is within 300' and
> I'm trying to connect using XP Home 2002 on an emachine desktop.
>
> MS help instructs the user to click on the wireless connection icon under
> network connections. However, no wireless connection icon is listed. Does
> this mean that the emachine does not support wireless connections or that it
> is not detecting a wireless network or something else or (e) all of the above?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Thanks, Clark. I'll test the system and distance w/ a fairly new laptop.

"Paul" wrote:

> The library across the street just became a hot spot. It is within 300' and
> I'm trying to connect using XP Home 2002 on an emachine desktop.
>
> MS help instructs the user to click on the wireless connection icon under
> network connections. However, no wireless connection icon is listed. Does
> this mean that the emachine does not support wireless connections or that it
> is not detecting a wireless network or something else or (e) all of the above?

DanR

Desktop computers seldom come with wireless capabilities. If your emachine has
wireless it's because you installed the hardware yourself. Did you?