Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Beginners Question - Center Webpage on Screen

Re: Beginners Question - Center Webpage on Screen

rf

"Carlos Kleiber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> silly question, but grateful for hint
>
> nearly all pages I visit are leaving quite a margin on left and right side
> of the content on the site

Yes. It's a bit silly isn't it, leaving all that spare space laying around
that could be quite well used for content.

> Is this due to the screen resolution I use (use wide screen and screen
> resolution 1440 by 900 to view the web)

Why do you do that? My browsers are never wider than about 900 pixels. Well,
maybe 1100 sometimes if some clueless author has decided that her page
*must* be 1100 pixels wide.

> or intended to make web pages easier to read, i.e. a design feature? aware
> of the argument fixed/fluid design etc but somehow don't understand how
> this outcome is achieved/

It is achieved by carefully constructing the page so as to defeat the
browsers inbuilt ability to lay out content as it sees fit. Namely, by
specifying an exact width for, probably a div, that contains the content and
then also specifying margin: auto for that div. But, is the specified width
of that div exactly the same as the viewers canvas? Probably not.

> and if it is intended - for whatever reason/purpose

Lemming authors? *Everybody* has a web page that is exactly 800 pixels wide
so I should too.

What is wrong with letting the browser lay out the page so it exactly fits
into the canvas the viewer has allocated to that page?