Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Halo crashing Windows

Halo crashing Windows

rr@nospam.edu

Why is Halo crashing Windows not more then twice a day. Yes, I get the
blue screen. No reasons stated in the blue screen other then remove new
hardware or software. The only thing new is the motherboard and CPU and
memory. Can't really remove them now can we...

Carlos

Hi,
What Operating System are you running?
New mobo, CPU and memory implies that you reinstalled the OS from scratch,
right?
My first hunches point faulty memory or insufficient juice coming out of the
power supply.
Start running a comprhensive memory test with memtest86+
(http://www.memtest.org/).
Carlos

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Why is Halo crashing Windows not more then twice a day. Yes, I get the
> blue screen. No reasons stated in the blue screen other then remove new
> hardware or software. The only thing new is the motherboard and CPU and
> memory. Can't really remove them now can we...
> .

rr@nospam.edu

Windows XPPro x64 SP2 I did have to reinstall Windows because Windows
was not booting. I had fried the other motherboard when I tried to plug
a USB device into a bad USB port so that must have messed up some boot
files on the harddrive. I thought it was going to be an easy MB
replacement, but I was wrong. The motherboard I have now is an ASUS
M3n78-VM and the CPU is Athlon ll X2 250. The old motherboard was a ASUS K8N

I will copy the error message next time.

Carlos wrote:
> Hi,
> What Operating System are you running?
> New mobo, CPU and memory implies that you reinstalled the OS from scratch,
> right?
> My first hunches point faulty memory or insufficient juice coming out of the
> power supply.
> Start running a comprhensive memory test with memtest86+
> (http://www.memtest.org/).
> Carlos

rr@nospam.edu

The PS is a 450 watt.

Carlos wrote:
> Hi,
> What Operating System are you running?
> New mobo, CPU and memory implies that you reinstalled the OS from scratch,
> right?
> My first hunches point faulty memory or insufficient juice coming out of the
> power supply.
> Start running a comprhensive memory test with memtest86+
> (http://www.memtest.org/).
> Carlos

Carlos

Hi,
Required power depends on what graphic card you may have in your system, and
specifically how many amps the PS is delivering in the 12 volt rail (this is
a little bit technical).
Let's start with a series of tests that will lead us to the root cause.
Download memtest86+ as I suggested in my first post and prepair a bootable
USB drive or floppy.
Power down your pc. Unplug it from the wall outlet.
Unplug any add-on cards you may have in your motherboard, just leave the
Graphic Card alone (which one is it)?
Unplug all external devices (USB ones et al).
Plug again your PC to the wall outlet, power it on and run memtest86+.
We must be completely sure that your memory sticks are Ok and compatible
with your motherboard.
Post back your results.
Carlos
P.S.: I presume you are not overclocking your memory, CPU and/or graphic
card, right?

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> The PS is a 450 watt.
>
> Carlos wrote:
> > Hi,
> > What Operating System are you running?
> > New mobo, CPU and memory implies that you reinstalled the OS from scratch,
> > right?
> > My first hunches point faulty memory or insufficient juice coming out of the
> > power supply.
> > Start running a comprhensive memory test with memtest86+
> > (http://www.memtest.org/).
> > Carlos

> .

rr@nospam.edu

the video controller is intergrated into the ASUS M3n78-VM motherboard I
am trying to figure out how to get memtest download as a usable program.

Carlos wrote:
> Hi,
> Required power depends on what graphic card you may have in your system, and
> specifically how many amps the PS is delivering in the 12 volt rail (this is
> a little bit technical).
> Let's start with a series of tests that will lead us to the root cause.
> Download memtest86+ as I suggested in my first post and prepair a bootable
> USB drive or floppy.
> Power down your pc. Unplug it from the wall outlet.
> Unplug any add-on cards you may have in your motherboard, just leave the
> Graphic Card alone (which one is it)?
> Unplug all external devices (USB ones et al).
> Plug again your PC to the wall outlet, power it on and run memtest86+.
> We must be completely sure that your memory sticks are Ok and compatible
> with your motherboard.
> Post back your results.
> Carlos
> P.S.: I presume you are not overclocking your memory, CPU and/or graphic
> card, right?
>

> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
>> The PS is a 450 watt.
>>
>> Carlos wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> What Operating System are you running?
>>> New mobo, CPU and memory implies that you reinstalled the OS from scratch,
>>> right?
>>> My first hunches point faulty memory or insufficient juice coming out of the
>>> power supply.
>>> Start running a comprhensive memory test with memtest86+
>>> (http://www.memtest.org/).
>>> Carlos

>> .

rr@nospam.edu

Memtest reported no errors after two tests

Carlos wrote:
> Hi,
> Required power depends on what graphic card you may have in your system, and
> specifically how many amps the PS is delivering in the 12 volt rail (this is
> a little bit technical).
> Let's start with a series of tests that will lead us to the root cause.
> Download memtest86+ as I suggested in my first post and prepair a bootable
> USB drive or floppy.
> Power down your pc. Unplug it from the wall outlet.
> Unplug any add-on cards you may have in your motherboard, just leave the
> Graphic Card alone (which one is it)?
> Unplug all external devices (USB ones et al).
> Plug again your PC to the wall outlet, power it on and run memtest86+.
> We must be completely sure that your memory sticks are Ok and compatible
> with your motherboard.
> Post back your results.
> Carlos
> P.S.: I presume you are not overclocking your memory, CPU and/or graphic
> card, right?
>

> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
>> The PS is a 450 watt.
>>
>> Carlos wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> What Operating System are you running?
>>> New mobo, CPU and memory implies that you reinstalled the OS from scratch,
>>> right?
>>> My first hunches point faulty memory or insufficient juice coming out of the
>>> power supply.
>>> Start running a comprhensive memory test with memtest86+
>>> (http://www.memtest.org/).
>>> Carlos

>> .

Carlos

Ok, what about unplugging all unnecessary items?
Does Halo still crash after that?
Carlos

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Memtest reported no errors after two tests
>
> Carlos wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Required power depends on what graphic card you may have in your system, and
> > specifically how many amps the PS is delivering in the 12 volt rail (this is
> > a little bit technical).
> > Let's start with a series of tests that will lead us to the root cause.
> > Download memtest86+ as I suggested in my first post and prepair a bootable
> > USB drive or floppy.
> > Power down your pc. Unplug it from the wall outlet.
> > Unplug any add-on cards you may have in your motherboard, just leave the
> > Graphic Card alone (which one is it)?
> > Unplug all external devices (USB ones et al).
> > Plug again your PC to the wall outlet, power it on and run memtest86+.
> > We must be completely sure that your memory sticks are Ok and compatible
> > with your motherboard.
> > Post back your results.
> > Carlos
> > P.S.: I presume you are not overclocking your memory, CPU and/or graphic
> > card, right?
> >

> > "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> >
> >> The PS is a 450 watt.

> >> .
> >>

> .

rr@nospam.edu

Nothing is overclocked. I have never had any real success overclocking
the CPU.

Do you mean unplug peripherals? The mouse, keyboard and printer are all
USB. I will unplug the printer to see if that has any effect.

The full blue screen message is as follows:

"A problem has been detected and windows has shut been shut down to
prevent damage to your computer.

Driver_IRQL-not-less-or-equal

If this is the first time you have seen this STOR Error screen, restart
your computer. If thisscreen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or softare is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software
manufacturers for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disasable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options, such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable componants, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, then select
safe mode.

***STOPx000000D1(0xFFFFFADE7586C000, 0x0000000000000002,
0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFADFCCD78B5B)

***viaduaa.sys - Address FFFFFADFCCD78B5D base at FFFFFADFCCD43000, date
stamp 4a24e93a

Beginning dump of physical memory ... "

Carlos wrote:
> Ok, what about unplugging all unnecessary items?
> Does Halo still crash after that?
> Carlos
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
>> Memtest reported no errors after two tests
>>
>> Carlos wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Required power depends on what graphic card you may have in your system, and
>>> specifically how many amps the PS is delivering in the 12 volt rail (this is
>>> a little bit technical).
>>> Let's start with a series of tests that will lead us to the root cause.
>>> Download memtest86+ as I suggested in my first post and prepair a bootable
>>> USB drive or floppy.
>>> Power down your pc. Unplug it from the wall outlet.
>>> Unplug any add-on cards you may have in your motherboard, just leave the
>>> Graphic Card alone (which one is it)?
>>> Unplug all external devices (USB ones et al).
>>> Plug again your PC to the wall outlet, power it on and run memtest86+.
>>> We must be completely sure that your memory sticks are Ok and compatible
>>> with your motherboard.
>>> Post back your results.
>>> Carlos
>>> P.S.: I presume you are not overclocking your memory, CPU and/or graphic
>>> card, right?

>> .

Bobby Johnson

It seems there might be a problem with the audio driver. The following
dissusion page was found by Google:
http://www.viaarena.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39205

I realize they are not discussing Windows 7, but it is a problem with
viaduaa.sys

Halo crashing Windows rr@nospam.edu Windows 64bit 4 08-18-2010 02:40 AM
Halo 3 is a go! @ OCModShop Silverstrand Front Page News 8 02-05-2006 10:57 AM
Halo and Halo 2 ww_crimson Gaming 16 09-16-2005 02:57 PM
Video Game Ratings - Halo 2 Steve Freides Computer Support 3 12-27-2004 05:57 PM
God Mode For Halo Kimball K Kinnison Computer Support 6 10-12-2003 11:15 PM

Advertisments