Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Now the professional photographers go running to the police?

Now the professional photographers go running to the police?

RichA

How ironic. Still, they might have a point. I once entered a
restricted area as a University of Toronto photog which technically is
not a professional, but they let me in.

amateur photographer:

Row erupts over amateur photojournalism 'press pass'

Thursday 12th August 2010
Chris Cheesman

Professional journalism bodies have hit out at an amateur 'press pass'
that has been launched by citizen journalist website Demotix.

The UK Press Card Authority, which issues media credentials to
professional newsgatherers such as those working for the BBC, SKY and
ITN, branded the Demotix document as 'hobbyist'.

It warned that the Demotix card does not represent an accredited
National Press Card and pledged to alert all UK police forces over its
concerns.

The UK Press Card Authority chairman Mike Granatt said: 'The Demotix
“press pass” is nothing of the sort, despite the fact that it is
designed to look like a genuine journalists' identity document.

'We have worked hard over many years to establish the National Press
Card as the ID for professional journalists. It is designed to assure
the police and others that the holder is a professional newsgatherer,
working full-time to serve the public.

'Our concern is that the police and third parties might be misled by
the Demotix card.'

But Turi Munthe, chief executive of Demotix – which dubs itself the
Street Wire - defended the card.

'Our view has always been that everyone everywhere who is seriously
engaged in the news should have right of enquiry,' he wrote in a blog
on the Demotix website.

'We also believe we make better judges of that “seriousness” than the
globe's police forces or, frankly, bottlenecking trade organisations
that decide who gets the right to be a journalist.

'Of course we will continue to do everything we can to help you
report, annoy and photograph precisely those people and events that
the powers that be would like to exclude you from.'

Demotix contributors have been told, via email, that they are eligible
for a press pass if they have had at least ten of their articles
published.

The card reportedly costs $20.