Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Vista: Black Screen, Documents Folder Only on Startup

Re: Vista: Black Screen, Documents Folder Only on Startup

Meat Plow

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:34:01 -0400, Eddie wrote:

> Dell Studio One, Vista Home Prem 64 bit SP1 3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800 Mhz
> 320 GB NCQ Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache
>
> Just over a year old. On startup all I get is a black screen with my
> Documents Folder opened up. Conrol, Alt, Delete starts Task Manager into
> which I can put "explorer" which starts everything up just fine.
> Desktop, programs, everything. Was on the phone with Dell last night for
> over an hour, they want to send me a new HD. I'd prefer to figure this
> out with your help if possible. Is this likely a virus or actually a HD
> problem?
>
> I'm not too smart about such things but followed some online advice
> about editing the registry to remove everything after "explorer" in the
> Shell of a certain key... first time I ever attempted to mess with the
> reg... It supposedly work for others with the same problem but not for
> me.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> Eddie

Add explorer.exe to your startup folder would be a quick fix. But editing
the value of the registry is the real solution if something is ****ed up
with the key value. You don't have much to lose, you're already running
on just 1 of 8 cylinders. Not looking at a windoze box read here it might
help;