Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google problem with reading Usenet, August 2010

Google problem with reading Usenet, August 2010

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, liberty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Aug 23, 11:15=A0am, (E-Mail Removed)
>(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)=

>..com>, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I think this may have been a problem with Xtra. When my monthly
>> >broadband allowance is used up, they cut me down to dialup speed.
>> >The problem occurs only when at dialup speed.
>> >Unless I hear to the contrary I will assume it's an Xtra problem.

>> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
>> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
>> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
>> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, s=

>> you'll get more responses.

>Google groups have very unreliable for days.
>So who is a good Usenet provider?

Eternal september works fine. I've used aioe in the past. There are other
free nntp servers out there if you don't like either of those .. or god
forbid, there are some that charge a small amount of money if you'd rather
pay for it.

Enjoy.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Aug 23, 11:15 am, (E-Mail Removed)
>(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
>
>> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
>> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
>> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
>> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
>> you'll get more responses.

>I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
>maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
>server, particularya free reliable one.
>If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
>don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
>of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
>Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
>entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
>Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
>course - oh no! Never!

IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice.

And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
google groups.

Matty F

On Aug 23, 4:02 pm, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >On Aug 23, 11:15 am, (E-Mail Removed)
> >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

> >> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
> >> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
> >> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
> >> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
> >> you'll get more responses.

> >I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
> >maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
> >server, particularya free reliable one.
> >If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
> >don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
> >of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
> >Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
> >entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
> >Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
> >course - oh no! Never!

> IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
> threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
> about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice.
>
> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
> ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
> google groups.

You are not understanding. If I disagree with a newspaper article or
Web page, I can get my point of view about that article on the first
page of Google searches that show that article. I can do that by
posting on Usenet, even if the searchers don't know what Usenet is. I
believe that having a high number of stars helps that process. After
all, Google would ignore a lowly ranked person wouldn't they!

Here's an example, where my post is ranked at number2:
http://i33.tinypic.com/qnvaeq.jpg

liberty

(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >On Aug 23, 11:15 am, (E-Mail Removed)
> >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

> >> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
> >> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
> >> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
> >> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, so
> >> you'll get more responses.

> >I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
> >maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
> >server, particularya free reliable one.
> >If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
> >don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
> >of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
> >Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
> >entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
> >Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
> >course - oh no! *Never!

> IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
> threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
> about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice.
>
> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
> ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
> google groups.

Rubbish
If you set it up right. It is no different using a news reader.
Normally just as fast.
That was Up till a couple of weeks ago.

liberty

On Aug 23, 3:58*pm, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)..com>, liberty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >On Aug 23, 11:15=A0am, (E-Mail Removed)
> >(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

> >> Also suggest getting a news server and reader if you are currently using
> >> 'google groups'. A couple of reasons ...
> >> 1) It will upgrade your news experience
> >> 2) many people and some news groups block all posts from google groups, s=

> >> you'll get more responses.

> >Google groups have very unreliable for days.
> >So who is a good Usenet provider?

> Eternal september works fine. I've used aioe in the past. There are other
> free nntp servers out there if you don't like either of those .. or god
> forbid, there are some *that charge a small amount of money if you'd rather
> pay for it.
>
> Enjoy.

Google seems to be working just fine.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>> IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
>> threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
>> about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice.
>>
>> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
>> ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
>> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
>> google groups.

>You are not understanding. If I disagree with a newspaper article or
>Web page, I can get my point of view about that article on the first
>page of Google searches that show that article. I can do that by
>posting on Usenet, even if the searchers don't know what Usenet is. I
>believe that having a high number of stars helps that process. After
>all, Google would ignore a lowly ranked person wouldn't they!
>Here's an example, where my post is ranked at number2:
>http://i33.tinypic.com/qnvaeq.jpg

I guess I'm struggling to understand why that matters even slightly ...
it doesn't to me. As I said, mileages vary.
As to belief ? .. well people believe all sorts of things, many of them
crazy and many/most of them wrong.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, liberty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like schoo=

>> ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
>> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
>> google groups.

>Rubbish
>If you set it up right. It is no different using a news reader.
>Normally just as fast.
>That was Up till a couple of weeks ago.

That's your opinion. Mine still differs. Mileages vary.

victor

On 23/08/2010 8:13 p.m., liberty wrote:
> On Aug 23, 4:02 pm, (E-Mail Removed)
> (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
>> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I have used a number of newsreaders in the past. My ISP no longer
>>> maintains newsgroups, and I can't be bothered finding another news
>>> server, particularya free reliable one.
>>> If you don't use Google Groups there are some useful features that you
>>> don't know about. In particular, I have a five star rating from lots
>>> of people and you have just three stars from a couple of people. In
>>> Google's wondrous algorithm for ranking searches of the WWW, this
>>> entitles me to a frst page ranking after a surprisingly short time!
>>> Which is useful for those with an agenda to push. But that's not me of
>>> course - oh no! Never!

>> IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
>> threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
>> about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice.
>>
>> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
>> ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
>> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
>> google groups.

> Rubbish
> If you set it up right. It is no different using a news reader.
> Normally just as fast.
> That was Up till a couple of weeks ago.

I quite like staying logged into Google for gmail reader docs calendar
etc, but I don't want to publish that email address on usenet for bots
and stalkers so I set up free usenet providers in T'bird.
I have discovered that it is possible to make another Google account and
sign in in an incognito window in Chrome, but nah, the Tbird is still
easier to use.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, liberty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>> >Google groups have very unreliable for days.
>> >So who is a good Usenet provider?

>> Eternal september works fine. I've used aioe in the past. There are other
>> free nntp servers out there if you don't like either of those .. or god
>> forbid, there are some =A0that charge a small amount of money if you'd ra=

>ther
>> pay for it.
>>
>> Enjoy.

>Google seems to be working just fine.

... for a given value of 'fine'.
I hate it. If you don't, fine.

Matty F

On Aug 24, 11:11 am, (E-Mail Removed)
(Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Matty F <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>

> >> IMO, google groups is simply nasty. Horrible interface, slow, crappy
> >> threading, did I mention slow ? ... but mileages vary. I tried it once for
> >> about 3 days before giving up on it in disgust. Awful. But your choice.

> >> And if I cared what others thought of me (stars ? sounds a bit like school
> >> ), I would never have made a usenet post. Not generally the place for
> >> polite conversation or rational discourse ... and that goes triple for
> >> google groups.

> >You are not understanding. If I disagree with a newspaper article or
> >Web page, I can get my point of view about that article on the first
> >page of Google searches that show that article. I can do that by
> >posting on Usenet, even if the searchers don't know what Usenet is. I
> >believe that having a high number of stars helps that process. After
> >all, Google would ignore a lowly ranked person wouldn't they!
> >Here's an example, where my post is ranked at number2:
> >http://i33.tinypic.com/qnvaeq.jpg

> I guess I'm struggling to understand why that matters even slightly ...
> it doesn't to me. As I said, mileages vary.
> As to belief ? .. well people believe all sorts of things, many of them
> crazy and many/most of them wrong.

So you are happy to pay extra taxes on your power bill and petrol
because of the ETS that is now in place with the help of the BBC, who
are the worst example of the propaganda war on carbon dioxide. It is
our duty to expose bad journalism where possible. Which I have done in
the above link, if anyone has lost track of the discussion.