Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: aurora borealis

Re: aurora borealis

Robert Coe

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:55:07 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/nor...rior_2010.html

What are those dots in the upper part of the picture? I guess they're stars,
but at first glance they make it look as though the picture was taken through
a dirty car window.

They told us to look for that aurora display here (Boston), but I couldn't see
anything. Too far south, I suppose.

Bob

Attila Jozsef

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:55:07 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/nor...es/northern_li
> : ghts_aurora_michigan_lake_superior_2010.html
>
> What are those dots in the upper part of the picture? I guess they're stars,
> but at first glance they make it look as though the picture was taken through
> a dirty car window.
>
> They told us to look for that aurora display here (Boston), but I couldn't
> see
> anything. Too far south, I suppose.
>
> Bob

I never saw them in western Massachusetts, but one January I was
visiting some friends in Bar Harbor, Maine and the aurora put on a
spectacular light show. We spent the night on the porch, wrapped in
goose down snow suits, just marveling at the amazing variations and
movement.

I'm sure I had a camera, but I was much too captivated in the moment to
worry about taking pictures.

Robert Coe

:
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > : http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/nor...es/northern_li
: > : ghts_aurora_michigan_lake_superior_2010.html
: >
[...]

Actually I saw them from the Mass Pike on my way from Hartford to Tanglewood
many years ago. But by far the most spectacular display I ever saw was in
North Carolina, of all places. There was a lot of pink and orange, and the
streaks extended to almost directly overhead.

Bob

peter

Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:56:44 -0400, Attila Jozsef
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : In article<(E-Mail Removed) >,
> : Robert Coe<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> :> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:55:07 -0700 (PDT), Val Hallah
> :> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :> : http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/nor...es/northern_li
> :> : ghts_aurora_michigan_lake_superior_2010.html
> :>
> :> What are those dots in the upper part of the picture? I guess they're
> :> stars, but at first glance they make it look as though the picture was
> :> taken through a dirty car window.
> :>
> :> They told us to look for that aurora display here (Boston), but I
> :> couldn't see anything. Too far south, I suppose.
> :>
> :> Bob
> :
> : I never saw them in western Massachusetts, but one January I was
> : visiting some friends in Bar Harbor, Maine and the aurora put on a
> : spectacular light show. We spent the night on the porch, wrapped in
> : goose down snow suits, just marveling at the amazing variations and
> : movement.
> :
> : I'm sure I had a camera, but I was much too captivated in the moment to
> : worry about taking pictures.
>
> Actually I saw them from the Mass Pike on my way from Hartford to Tanglewood
> many years ago. But by far the most spectacular display I ever saw was in
> North Carolina, of all places. There was a lot of pink and orange, and the
> streaks extended to almost directly overhead.

Don't know that I would try to view then on the Mass Pike. Too many
nutty drivers.

--
Peter