Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > even faster broadband

even faster broadband

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:05:13 +1200, Penguin Man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:04:21 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
>>broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds
>>of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks like a modem,
>>and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without
>>having to pay for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic
>>http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/ga...evice-to-make-
>>broadband-50X-faster
>>
>>Sounds too good to be true?
>>

>Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
>water powered car..
>

>Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total rip
>off.

The 50x is wrong - bad reporting. The box has a good VDSL2+ splitter
in it, so in houses with bad or wrong wiring, it can make the DSL
connection much faster. If you already have good wiring, and have a
proper fixed splitter, you will not see any great improvement. I had
one of the same VDSL2+ splitters put in my house, and got maybe 5%
extra speed, but much better reliability over the plugin splitters.
But I was cabinetised last year and was already getting excellent
speed. My router is currently reporting 16826 kbit/s down and 945
kbit/s up as the raw ADSL2+ speed.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Penguin Man wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:04:21 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
>> broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay
>> hundreds of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks
>> like a modem, and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost
>> broadband speeds without having to pay for re-wiring a home with
>> fibre-optic
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/ga...evice-to-make-
>> broadband-50X-faster
>>
>> Sounds too good to be true?
>>

> Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
> water powered car..
>

> Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total rip
> off.

That sounds *exactly* like Roger Sheep-herd.

A-plonking I will go....
--
Shaun.

"Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

Squiggle

On 16/08/2010 12:42 p.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Penguin Man wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:04:21 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make
>>> broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay
>>> hundreds of dollars installing fibre-optic cables. The system looks
>>> like a modem, and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost
>>> broadband speeds without having to pay for re-wiring a home with
>>> fibre-optic
>>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/ga...evice-to-make-
>>> broadband-50X-faster
>>>
>>> Sounds too good to be true?
>>>

>> Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
>> water powered car..
>>

>> Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total rip
>> off.

> That sounds *exactly* like Roger Sheep-herd.
>
> A-plonking I will go....

Find a way to block all posts with X-No-Archive, its really worth it!

peterwn

On Aug 15, 11:18*am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> the report is
> complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
> It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
> your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
> demarcation point.

Anyone knows where you can buy these master splitters. Neither Dickies
or Jaycar have them. I have used one of the ordinary plugin splitters
as a master splitter but am feeling uncomfortable with it (I install a
'slave' jack near demarc, plug a splitter into it, terminate the rest
of the wiring into a BT plug and plug it into the splitter).

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Squiggle wrote:
> On 16/08/2010 12:42 p.m., ~misfit~ threw some characters down the
> intarwebs:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Penguin Man wrote:

>>> Yes a Total Joke, seen these quotes many many times before, like the
>>> water powered car..
>>>

>>> Plus you don't get any thing for free here, its more like a total
>>> rip off.

>> That sounds *exactly* like Roger Sheep-herd.
>>
>> A-plonking I will go....

> Find a way to block all posts with X-No-Archive, its really worth it!

Yeah, I *WILL* get around to graduating from OE (with Quotefix) /one/ day.
:-/
--
Shaun.

"Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:50:48 -0700 (PDT), peterwn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Aug 15, 11:18*am, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> the report is
>> complete bullshit and the company should be embarrassed.
>> It contains a master splitter for adsl/vdsl and has no more benefit to
>> your broadband speed than installing a master splitter at the
>> demarcation point.

>Anyone knows where you can buy these master splitters. Neither Dickies
>or Jaycar have them. I have used one of the ordinary plugin splitters
>as a master splitter but am feeling uncomfortable with it (I install a
>'slave' jack near demarc, plug a splitter into it, terminate the rest
>of the wiring into a BT plug and plug it into the splitter).

Apparently Chorus will be putting in one of the SDP (Service Delivery
Point) boxes at all sites they are called out to. I am not sure if
that is happening yet, as they have only limited stocks of SDPs so
far, but soon all you should need to do is develop a fault to get a
VDSL2 splitter installed.

If you want a ADSL splitter now, the phone installer companies have
them in stock as they install them when requested to. Or look here
for a VDSL2 splitter:

http://vdsl2.co.nz/

The VDSL2 splitters are better as the filtering has a very sharp
cutoff to allow more bandwidth for the DSL signals.

Sweetpea

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:28:59 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> The VDSL2 splitters are better as the filtering has a very sharp cutoff
> to allow more bandwidth for the DSL signals.

How does that sharp filter affect the quality of sound on the telephone
line?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Worthington
wrote:

> Apparently Chorus will be putting in one of the SDP (Service Delivery
> Point) boxes at all sites they are called out to. I am not sure if
> that is happening yet, as they have only limited stocks of SDPs so
> far, but soon all you should need to do is develop a fault to get a
> VDSL2 splitter installed.

I reported a fault, and had it fixed over the weekend. It was a fault with
the voice line—does that count?

Stephen Worthington

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:38:30 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:28:59 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
>> The VDSL2 splitters are better as the filtering has a very sharp cutoff
>> to allow more bandwidth for the DSL signals.

>How does that sharp filter affect the quality of sound on the telephone
>line?

Not at all. The cutoff is still in the same place.

wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:38:30 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:28:59 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>
>>> The VDSL2 splitters are better as the filtering has a very sharp cutoff
>>> to allow more bandwidth for the DSL signals.

>>How does that sharp filter affect the quality of sound on the telephone
>>line?

> Not at all. The cutoff is still in the same place.

Hard to believe. Analog filters with sharp cutoffs tend to have phase-shift
issues.