Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Apple’s iTunes Purgatory

Apple’s iTunes Purgatory

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Certain Apple apologists vigorously try to defend Apple’s insistence on
tying its i-devices to a copy of iTunes running on a PC, as against Android
devices, which let you do software updates, backups etc on the device
itself.

Here’s one poor iPad user’s experience trying to backup his user data before
performing an OS update
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/apples-itunes-purgatory-for-windows-there-has-to-be-a-better-way/13711>.
Even after he left it running overnight, it was still only 25% done. So he
took it to his nearest Apple Store, figuring the guys at the Genius Bar
would be able to sort it out and save his data, right? Wrong.

victor

> Certain Apple apologists vigorously try to defend Apple’s insistence on
> tying its i-devices to a copy of iTunes running on a PC, as against Android
> devices, which let you do software updates, backups etc on the device
> itself.
>
> Here’s one poor iPad user’s experience trying to backup his user data before
> performing an OS update
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/apples-itunes-purgatory-for-windows-there-has-to-be-a-better-way/13711>.
> Even after he left it running overnight, it was still only 25% done. So he
> took it to his nearest Apple Store, figuring the guys at the Genius Bar
> would be able to sort it out and save his data, right? Wrong.

The same issues could happen with an android tablet if there was one,
the only ones that seem to be in nz so far are barely functional no name
resistive touchscreen chinese toys. With no specific tablet apps.
Its a pity that Google haven't produced host software. Upgrades to the
phones seem to involve backing everything up rooting your device,
voiding the warranty, installing cyanogen, reinstalling your apps and if
you **** it up don't expect the local Vodafone shop to help you out.
So far it just isn't an alternative.
My ipod touch is backed up every time I connect it and the apps are free
to download again if I lose them.
I expect this chap will just learn to use his ipad and itunes correctly,
Apple is way better at simplifying these procedures than anyone else.
Their success has attracted a bit of a rash of you haters though.