Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: aurora borealis

Re: aurora borealis

David J Taylor

... and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
watermark - see:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...8&src=eoa-iotd

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...-58455_lrg.jpg

Cheers,
David

Superzooms Still Win

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:19:44 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>.. and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
>watermark - see:
>
> http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...8&src=eoa-iotd
>
> http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...-58455_lrg.jpg
>
>Cheers,
>David

Damn, look at all the noise in that image. I get better images of aurora
with my superzoom cameras. Someone should teach that idiot how to use a
camera properly, there was no need for ISO6400 on aurora. Even dim aurora.

Here's one I took up in BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) when exploring
the region for a few months. (JPG degradation intentional.)

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4888693180_aeea456d7e_z.jpg>

Climbed out of my sleeping bag to go take a **** in the middle of the
night, and my dark-adapted eyes saw this rather dim aurora (note all the
magnitude 4 and 5 stars easily visible through it). Sleepy and blurry-eyed,
I grabbed the camera and handheld it on top of a stump to see what that
superzoom could do. First time trying to capture aurora with that
particular camera. I was impressed. Got tons more pics of aurora since
then, after I realized how well it could image such dim subjects,
noise-free, so easily.

Robert Coe

: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >.. and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
: >watermark - see:
: >
[...]

The only part of that yarn that I believe is that you once got up in the
middle of the night to take a ****.

Bob

Superzooms Still Win

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:18:08 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:21:42 -0500, Superzooms Still Win <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:19:44 +0100, "David J Taylor"
>: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: >.. and for a more unusual view of the Aurora Australis - without the
>: >watermark - see:
>: >
>: > http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOT...8&src=eoa-iotd
>: >
>: > http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/ima...-58455_lrg.jpg
>: >
>: >Cheers,
>: >David
>:
>: Damn, look at all the noise in that image. I get better images of aurora
>: with my superzoom cameras. Someone should teach that idiot how to use a
>: camera properly, there was no need for ISO6400 on aurora. Even dim aurora.
>:
>: Here's one I took up in BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) when exploring
>: the region for a few months. (JPG degradation intentional.)
>:
>: <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4888693180_aeea456d7e_z.jpg>
>:
>: Climbed out of my sleeping bag to go take a **** in the middle of the
>: night, and my dark-adapted eyes saw this rather dim aurora (note all the
>: magnitude 4 and 5 stars easily visible through it). Sleepy and blurry-eyed,
>: I grabbed the camera and handheld it on top of a stump to see what that
>: superzoom could do. First time trying to capture aurora with that
>: particular camera. I was impressed. Got tons more pics of aurora since
>: then, after I realized how well it could image such dim subjects,
>: noise-free, so easily.
>
>The only part of that yarn that I believe is that you once got up in the
>middle of the night to take a ****.
>
>Bob

I'm sorry that your life hasn't been as adventurous and wondrous as mine.
And that you haven't seen and photographed as amazing things as I have all
my life. But that's your own sorry excuse of a life and pathetic fault. Try
to not take out your regret of a life on those who haven't lived as
sheltered and wuss of a life as you have lived. You've made that quite
obvious.

Superzooms Still Win