Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Netscape 7.2 and midi files

Netscape 7.2 and midi files

jeff_wisnia

I accepted Apple's offer to upgrade Quicktime on my Windows XP computer
and after it installed I found that my Netscape 7.2 will no longer play
midi files.

I've got a few personal pages I created which have html code like this
in them for playing "background music":

<embed src="wamk576.mid" autostart="true" loop="true" height="16"
width="16">

That code plays the midi fine if the page is opened in IE, It used to do
so in Netscape 7.2 but that ceased immediately after I upgraded
Quicktime. A tiny icon appears where that code is located on the page,
but no sound is heard.

The "About Plugins" list under "Help" isn't showing anything with a
".mid" suffix.

I've searched around for a midi plugin for Netscape 7.2 but can't seem
to find one.

Please don't trash me for being a Luddite and still using Netscape 7.2
occasionally.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Meat Plow

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 11:28:27 -0400, jeff_wisnia wrote:

> I accepted Apple's offer to upgrade Quicktime on my Windows XP computer
> and after it installed I found that my Netscape 7.2 will no longer play
> midi files.
>
> I've got a few personal pages I created which have html code like this
> in them for playing "background music":
>
> <embed src="wamk576.mid" autostart="true" loop="true" height="16"
> width="16">
>
> That code plays the midi fine if the page is opened in IE, It used to do
> so in Netscape 7.2 but that ceased immediately after I upgraded
> Quicktime. A tiny icon appears where that code is located on the page,
> but no sound is heard.
>
> The "About Plugins" list under "Help" isn't showing anything with a
> ".mid" suffix.
>
> I've searched around for a midi plugin for Netscape 7.2 but can't seem
> to find one.
>
> Please don't trash me for being a Luddite and still using Netscape 7.2
> occasionally.
>
> Thanks guys,
>
> Jeff

Look for MIME type association settings in Netscape. I haven't messed
with it but other applications requiring instructions on what to launch
to for specific MIME types need told what to do.