Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Selphy Dye-sublimation Printers

Re: Selphy Dye-sublimation Printers

Rich

On Aug 10, 11:41*pm, Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
> experience with these printers would be welcome.
> --
> Michael *

The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands kind of a
sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

Better Info

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Aug 10, 11:41*pm, Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
>> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
>> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
>> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
>> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
>> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
>> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
>> experience with these printers would be welcome.
>> --
>> Michael *

>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands kind of a
>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
compromise.

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Better Info <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Aug 10, 11:41*pm, Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
>>> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
>>> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
>>> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
>>> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
>>> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
>>> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
>>> experience with these printers would be welcome.
>>> --
>>> Michael *

>>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands kind of a
>>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

>Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
>well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
>to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
>compromise.

Is the fix for metamerism the clear-coat layer that better imkjet
printers put down?
--
Al Dykes

Better Info

On 11 Aug 2010 23:23:23 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Better Info <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands kind of a
>>>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

>>Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
>>well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
>>to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
>>compromise.

>Is the fix for metamerism the clear-coat layer that better imkjet
>printers put down?

It can help a little, but that's generally a UV protection layer only. It
would have to be a fully graduated AR (anti-reflection) multi-coating to
try to offset the effects of metamerism. That is beyond the capabilities of
any printer, requiring thin-film deposition methods in a vacuum.

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Better Info <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Aug 10, 11:41*pm, Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I am asking this in a photo group rather than a printer group because
>>> the opinions I am interested in are those of photographers. Some years
>>> ago I had a Canon 4x6 dye-sub printer BEFORE they added the Selphy name
>>> to those. I am looking at the Selphy ES series and can find the ES40
>>> new and the ES30 and ES40 on ebay. Does anyone have any experience with
>>> these? The ES series is more expensive, but has the available black and
>>> white cartridge that the other series does not. Any reports of
>>> experience with these printers would be welcome.
>>> --
>>> Michael *

>>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands kind of a
>>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

>Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
>well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
>to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
>compromise.

Can you name the model of a printer you consider capable of producing
prints of gallery quality?
--
Al Dykes

Better Info

On 12 Aug 2010 23:03:39 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Better Info <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands kind of a
>>>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

>>Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
>>well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
>>to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
>>compromise.
>>

>Can you name the model of a printer you consider capable of producing
>prints of gallery quality?

I never recommend any one manufacturer or model of anything. Then others
could produce products as nice as I do, using all the testing and research
that I did, for free, at my expense. Advice that specific costs big money.
My time and research is very valuable.

You might try posting your questions in comp.periphs.printers and see what
kind of advice you can get there.

Peter

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i42cmb$fef$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Better Info <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:46:54 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>The results are irregular. Sometimes, coloured bands kind of a
>>>sheen) show up at certain viewing angles.

>>Called "metamerism". The same problem happens with pigment-ink printers as
>>well. So, while pigment-inks are marketed on their longevity, they forget
>>to mention they are not generally suitable for gallery display. All is a
>>compromise.
>>

> Can you name the model of a printer you consider capable of producing
> prints of gallery quality?

Try the Epson 2880, or 3880.
If you have sufficient quantity, try the Epson 4880 which is less expensive
per print, but clogs if you don't use it enough.

..

--
Peter