Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Home-Built computer, need drivers

Home-Built computer, need drivers

Jeff Strickland

I have stumbled across an old home built machine that I have no idea what it
is. How do I get drivers for this thing?

Normally, I would go to dell.com <whatever> and plug in my model number and
download the drivers I thought were needed. I don't a model number. I might
have useful information that comes up on the Power-On Self Test screen, but
I'm not certain what the useful information would be if it was there.

PS
The machine was running under a mountain of virual enhancements, and as I
was cleaning things up it started to ask me which program I wanted to use to
open the .EXE files.

Jeff Strickland

"James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i3v8vo$1ng$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i3v826$4ej$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>I have stumbled across an old home built machine that I have no idea what
>>it is. How do I get drivers for this thing?
>>
>> Normally, I would go to dell.com <whatever> and plug in my model number
>> and download the drivers I thought were needed. I don't a model number. I
>> might have useful information that comes up on the Power-On Self Test
>> screen, but I'm not certain what the useful information would be if it
>> was there.
>>
>> PS
>> The machine was running under a mountain of virual enhancements, and as I
>> was cleaning things up it started to ask me which program I wanted to use
>> to open the .EXE files.
>>

> You may need to fetch drivers for individual devices one at a time. I'm
> sure you remember most device information is in Control
> Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and you may be able to find the
> correct drivers using the Update Drivers option. That's always a big
> maybe, though.
>
> Given the individual devices, you may have to go to a dozen or so sites,
> or you might find most or all at a drivers download site. I use
> www.driverguide.com for most of my driver downloads, but there are others.
>
> Another option is to reinstall Windows and let it fetch the updates it can
> find and then work on fixing the remaining.

Well, the NIC (onboard) does not show up in the Device Manager, so I assume
many, if not all, of the other hardware devices will not show up either.

Can I tell XP to Add New Hardware, then let it go out and find the drivers
(assuming I can get the NIC to work)? A bigger assumption is that I can find
a way to load the OS in the first place.

I have a BIOS Option for the Boot Priority to include USB-based CD ROM, but
without the USB drivers, I can't use my USB-based CD drive to load the OS.
I'm having significant problems with crappy hardware and missing drivers all
conspiring to **** me off.

Ragnar

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i3v826$4ej$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I have stumbled across an old home built machine that I have no idea what
>it is. How do I get drivers for this thing?
>
> Normally, I would go to dell.com <whatever> and plug in my model number
> and download the drivers I thought were needed. I don't a model number. I
> might have useful information that comes up on the Power-On Self Test
> screen, but I'm not certain what the useful information would be if it was
> there.
>
> PS
> The machine was running under a mountain of virual enhancements, and as I
> was cleaning things up it started to ask me which program I wanted to use
> to open the .EXE files.

Drivermax is a freeware app that identifies your hardware and looks for up
to date drivers. Worked wonders for me when I reinstalled everything
recently, but my PC is not home made so it may not be as successful for you.
http://www.drivermax.com
HTH
R.

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i3v826$4ej$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I have stumbled across an old home built machine that I have no idea what
>it is. How do I get drivers for this thing?
>
> Normally, I would go to dell.com <whatever> and plug in my model number
> and download the drivers I thought were needed. I don't a model number. I
> might have useful information that comes up on the Power-On Self Test
> screen, but I'm not certain what the useful information would be if it was
> there.
>
> PS
> The machine was running under a mountain of virual enhancements, and as I
> was cleaning things up it started to ask me which program I wanted to use
> to open the .EXE files.

No name / Part number on motherboard ?
and no OS currently ? or maybe had no drive ?
Can you boot to safe mode ?
Knoppix on CD ?

Download " Belarc Advisor" onto CD,mem stick, floppy,etc on another PC and
run it on the unknown.
The report will at least show you what you have, and then can fetch the
appropriate drivers (hopefully) from vendors
I will say that IF you go to a site like DRIVERS.COM , be careful. I've used
it a few times and gotten crapware rather than drivers from the downloaded
file.