Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Wireless connection

Re: Wireless connection

- Bobb -

"Edwin Sineath" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Just got a used laptop, an IBM T41. I cannot get it to connect to my
> secured network or my girlfriend's secured network. I enter the key when
> requested and it tries and then quits. It will connect to any and all
> unsecured networks whenever I find them. This is baffling to me. Any
> ideas? I've never encountered this before. This is a Windows XP machine.
> My linux laptop doesn't have this problem.

Some more detail .... is it YOUR router / access point ?
Speed/type ? autodetect 802.11a, b, g ?

Her PC works ok on your secure network ?
If yes then you know the specs ( WPS-PSK , encryption type etc) . her laptop
works OK ?
get into her settings and set yours like that.
You've done that ?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...eless&gs_rfai=

got me to :
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...igr-50402.html

Access Connections takes the hassle out of getting connected.
Click here to download "Access Connections"

"WEP key. This involves using a 5 digit alphanumeric key for 64bit
encryption or 13 digit alphanumeric key for 128bit encryption. " That's
OLD info. WPA , WPA-PSK been around long enough to be the standard.
AND in those settings, check to see packet type - TKIP ? AES ?

#10. Run PC Doctor diagnostics on the network card included with the
ThinkPad system by pressing the F11 key or the Access IBM button during
startup to access the predesktop menu area. If this method is not available
for your system, then PC Doctor for DOS may be downloaded. This DOS version
requires two or more floppy diskettes depending on the ThinkPad system.