Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Advice for Porting existing VB.NET App to ASP.Net Web Application

Advice for Porting existing VB.NET App to ASP.Net Web Application

Nate

I am looking for any advice on migrating an existing VB.Net application to ASP.Net.
What is the easiest method for moving the GUI forms to ASP.Net?
The forms only use standard winform controls that come with VS studio 2003.
What kind of problems should I Expect? Any pitfalls?

Thanks.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello,

Thanks for posting in the group.

Currently you want to migrate a windows forms VB.NET application to a
ASP.NET VB.NET application, right?

The programming model of Windows forms application and web form application
is quite different. The execution sequence is different in web application.
People only discuss the migration from asp application to asp.net
application. For Winform application to Webform application, I think we may
need to construct the design of application from the very beginning.

In MSDN online libray, we can get a lot of resource on asp.net programming.
I am glad to introduce some good references to you:

1) Creating ASP.NET Web Applications
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...tingaspwebappl
ications.asp?frame=true

2) Windows Forms and Web Forms Recommendations
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...ngBetweenWinFo
rmsWebForms.asp?frame=true

3) Creating Web Applications and Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...ngWebDistribut
edAppsVB.asp?frame=true

4) Good articles in ASP.NET programming
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...pdotnet.asp?fr
ame=true

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

Get Secure! ĘC www.microsoft.com/security

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi,

Do you have any more questions on the materials that I posted? Please feel
free to post in the community if there is any specific question when you
migrate the project. We are glad to be of assistance. Thanks.