Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Aftermarket lens makers continue to cater solely to Canon and Nikon

Aftermarket lens makers continue to cater solely to Canon and Nikon

RichA

American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
their bottom line. Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
(well, some support Pentax.).

Pete Stavrakoglou

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
> their bottom line. Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
> the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
> (well, some support Pentax.).

Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
mounts are not available in Canada?

RichA

On Aug 11, 2:22*pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
> > their bottom line. *Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
> > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
> > (well, some support Pentax.).

> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
> mounts are not available in Canada?

No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
Olympus.
Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
only for Canon and Nikon.

John A.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:42:53 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Aug 11, 2:22*pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
>> > their bottom line. *Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
>> > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
>> > (well, some support Pentax.).

>> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
>> mounts are not available in Canada?

>No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
>makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
>Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
>Olympus.
>Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
>only for Canon and Nikon.

I'll admit it wasn't an exhaustive search, but the two lenses I
selected at random on the Tamron web site were listed as available for
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, & Sony.

And here's Sigma's compatibility chart, listing several camera brands:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/dc-lens-compatability-chart

Bruce

wrote:
>On Aug 11, 2:22*pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
>> > their bottom line. *Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
>> > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
>> > (well, some support Pentax.).

>> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
>> mounts are not available in Canada?

>No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
>makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
>Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
>Olympus.
>Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
>only for Canon and Nikon.

There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.

Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.

Pete Stavrakoglou

Tamron and Tokina are making lenses in Sony mount.

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Aug 11, 2:22 pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > American companies come to Canada to gain at most an extra 10% on
> > their bottom line. Apparently, aftermarket lens companies don't see
> > the benefit in doing with with Sony, Olympus, Panasonic or Pentax
> > (well, some support Pentax.).

> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and Pentax
> mounts are not available in Canada?

No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
Olympus.
Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
only for Canon and Nikon.

Pete Stavrakoglou

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:42:53 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>On Aug 11, 2:22 pm, "Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Are you saying that the lenses Sigma manufactures in 4/3, Sony, and
>>> Pentax
>>> mounts are not available in Canada?

>>No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
>>makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
>>Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
>>Olympus.
>>Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
>>only for Canon and Nikon.

> There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
> Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
> manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
> quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.
>
> Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
> offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.

I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such as
the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into the
niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they don't seem
very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was available in
4/3 mount yet the new one is not.

Peter

"Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i40o5j$o42$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:42:53 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>No, Sigma unfortunately is the only aftermarket company that actually
>>>makes lenses for those brands outside of some exotics like
>>>Voigtlander, but they are slowly eliminating them, at least for
>>>Olympus.
>>>Tamron and Tokina both make better lenses on average than Sigma but
>>>only for Canon and Nikon.

>> There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
>> Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
>> manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
>> quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.
>>
>> Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
>> offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.

> I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such
> as the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into the
> niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they don't
> seem very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was
> available in 4/3 mount yet the new one is not.

Based on my personal experiences which you witnessed, Sigma ought to
concentrate on quality control of the mounts they currently make.

--
Peter

Pete Stavrakoglou

news:4c63f240$0$5493$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> "Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i40o5j$o42$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> There is no business opportunity for independent lens manufacturers in
>>> Four Thirds, nor in Micro Four Thirds. That's because the two core
>>> manufacturers in FT/MFT, Panasonic and Olympus, both offer high
>>> quality lenses at surprisingly low prices.
>>>
>>> Anyway, Sigma was never really committed to Four Thirds. Sigma only
>>> offered some of its existing Third Rate lenses with Four Thirds mount.

>> I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such
>> as the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into the
>> niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they don't
>> seem very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was
>> available in 4/3 mount yet the new one is not.

> Based on my personal experiences which you witnessed, Sigma ought to
> concentrate on quality control of the mounts they currently make.
>

> --
> Peter

Since that episode, I've gotten a Tokina lens that fits tight like that
Sigma you tested. A fellow member of the Suffolk group I belong to reported
a similar issue with a Nikon lens he had that he returned for a replacement.
I've never had that probelm with any Sigma lens but only with one Tokina.
There are quality issues with all makes, not that I'm defending Sigma.

Peter

"Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i414lf$g37$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4c63f240$0$5493$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> "Pete Stavrakoglou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i40o5j$o42$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I think there is a certain level of niche business for Sigma in 4/3 such
>>> as the 50-500mm Bigma. They've got quite a few lenses that fall into
>>> the niches that Oly and Panasonic don't fill. But, as you say, they
>>> don't seem very committed to 4/3. The previous version of the Bigma was
>>> available in 4/3 mount yet the new one is not.

>> Based on my personal experiences which you witnessed, Sigma ought to
>> concentrate on quality control of the mounts they currently make.
>>

>> --
>> Peter

> Since that episode, I've gotten a Tokina lens that fits tight like that
> Sigma you tested. A fellow member of the Suffolk group I belong to
> reported a similar issue with a Nikon lens he had that he returned for a
> replacement. I've never had that probelm with any Sigma lens but only with
> one Tokina. There are quality issues with all makes, not that I'm
> defending Sigma.

I can understand and even forgive QC issues. What drove me up the wall was
when Tim, the Sigma rep kept trying to BS me by telling me it was supposed
to be that way. If one of my employees ever did the equivalent, I would have
canned him on the spot.

You don't lie to customers.

--
Peter