Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Modal layers

Modal layers

Sam Takoy

Hi,

It seems like every site has it now. You click on something, a layer
comes up that is "modal" and everything else is grayed out until you
click it away or it times out?

I have found a number of write-up on how to do it, but all seem ad hoc
and fly by night. Is there a robust, sustainable, modern approach to
doing this?

I would appreciate any links.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Helpful person

On Aug 10, 4:04*pm, Sam Takoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems like every site has it now. You click on something, a layer
> comes up that is "modal" and everything else is grayed out until you
> click it away or it times out?
>
> I have found a number of write-up on how to do it, but all seem ad hoc
> and fly by night. Is there a robust, sustainable, modern approach to
> doing this?
>
> I would appreciate any links.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Sam

Interesting question, I'm looking forward to reading the answers.
However, I hope you're not going to use this method. I find it almost
as annoying as blinking text and pictures.

www.richardfisher.com

idle

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:04:13 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:

> Hi,
>
> It seems like every site has it now. You click on something, a layer
> comes up that is "modal" and everything else is grayed out until you
> click it away or it times out?
>
> I have found a number of write-up on how to do it, but all seem ad hoc
> and fly by night. Is there a robust, sustainable, modern approach to
> doing this?
>
> I would appreciate any links.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Sam

The modern approach on the modal dialog http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx
is the lightbox you see everywhere.

Basic
http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
Fancy
http://fancybox.net/
* Bump
http://www.artviper.net/website-tool...x-lightbox.php

* fave

--
idle
8/10/2010 5:33:49 PM

Sam Takoy

On 8/10/2010 8:34 PM, idle wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:04:13 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems like every site has it now. You click on something, a layer
>> comes up that is "modal" and everything else is grayed out until you
>> click it away or it times out?
>>
>> I have found a number of write-up on how to do it, but all seem ad hoc
>> and fly by night. Is there a robust, sustainable, modern approach to
>> doing this?
>>
>> I would appreciate any links.
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Sam

> The modern approach on the modal dialog http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx
> is the lightbox you see everywhere.
>
> Basic
> http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
> Fancy
> http://fancybox.net/
> * Bump
> http://www.artviper.net/website-tool...x-lightbox.php
>

> * fave

Thanks!

I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

Thanks again!

rf

"Sam Takoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i47cnh$s57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 8/10/2010 8:34 PM, idle wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:04:13 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:

>> * Bump
>> http://www.artviper.net/website-tool...x-lightbox.php

> I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
> whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
> background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?

Sam Takoy

On 8/14/2010 8:49 PM, rf wrote:
> "Sam Takoy"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i47cnh$s57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On 8/10/2010 8:34 PM, idle wrote:
>>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:04:13 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:

>>> * Bump
>>> http://www.artviper.net/website-tool...x-lightbox.php

>> I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
>> whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
>> background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?

So how do I change the background color?

idle

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:07:34 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:

> On 8/14/2010 8:49 PM, rf wrote:
>> "Sam Takoy"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i47cnh$s57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
>>> whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
>>> background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

>> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?
>>

> So how do I change the background color?

All the settings are in the js file.
http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js

--
idle
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Sam Takoy

On 8/14/2010 9:48 PM, idle wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:07:34 -0400, Sam Takoy wrote in alt.html:
>
>> On 8/14/2010 8:49 PM, rf wrote:
>>> "Sam Takoy"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:i47cnh$s57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?
>>>

>> So how do I change the background color?

> All the settings are in the js file.
> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js

Does that mean they can only be changed by altering the .js file? Or can
they be changed from the html file?

rf

"Sam Takoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i47ekp$36c$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 8/14/2010 8:49 PM, rf wrote:
>> "Sam Takoy"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i47cnh$s57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
>>> whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
>>> background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

>> http://www.artviper.net/js/bumpbox.js ?
>>

> So how do I change the background color?

I dunno. You'll have to look. Firebug will help you determine where the
background colour is specified.

Dave

Sam Takoy wrote:
> I kinda like the bump box, but there seems to be no documentation
> whatsoever, so I'm not able to change any of the settings, like delays,
> background colors, etc. Can you point to the documentation, please?

Another alternative not already mentioned is http://highslide.com/ which
contains plenty of documentation, plenty of options/overrides, and
thoroughly top-notch support from the author on his forums.