Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Browsers disappearance

Re: Browsers disappearance

Mike Easter

Jordan wrote:
> Firefox won't start today.

That is a bad sign.

> Thankfully, Thunderbird email works OK, and new messages are being sent
> and received.

Tbird the mail/news app is less 'demanding' than a browser.

> When I click on the icon to start it, there's some disk activity and a
> brief "add on" window (normal, as it looks for them each startup). An
> hourglass cursor stays on for a little while - then nothing.

It is 'crashing' on startup.

> Rebooting - still no go.

One simple fix down.

> I tried Internet Explorer, and it also won't start.

That's another bad sign.

> Have I got some bug?

Maybe. What are your antimalware agents? Maybe you have some residual OS
'instability' because of the consequences of damage/destabilization from
removal of previous malware.

> It's on WinXP SP2.

How come you didn't up to SP3?

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Jordan wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> Have I got some bug?

>> Maybe. What are your antimalware agents?

> Zone Alarm and Spybot, but Spybot I run manually, which I'll do now.
> I haven't removed any malware recently, that I know of.

ZA free is (just) a personal software firewall, no antimalware. ZA suite
has a lot of stuff. There are a number of different pay ZAs. What is
your exact ZA?

You might be needing to examine your system a little more thoroughly
than just Spybot S&D.

>>> It's on WinXP SP2.

>> How come you didn't up to SP3?
>>

> Because all seemed OK with SP2. Should I install SP3?

I think you are going to have to get more stable first.

--
Mike Easter

John Holmes

Jordan "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Mike Easter wrote:
>>

>>> Have I got some bug?

>> Maybe. What are your antimalware agents? Maybe you have some residual
>> OS 'instability' because of the consequences of
>> damage/destabilization from removal of previous malware.

> Zone Alarm and Spybot, but Spybot I run manually, which I'll do now.
> I haven't removed any malware recently, that I know of.
>

>>> It's on WinXP SP2.

>> How come you didn't up to SP3?
>>

> Because all seemed OK with SP2. Should I install SP3?

No.

> Thanks,
> Jordan

Most likely, your system got infested with one or more nasties.
Malwarebytes does a pretty good job to get rid of them.

www.malwarebytes.org

--
<snip>

monkeydeskstand

Jordan wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
> >

> >> Have I got some bug?

> > Maybe. What are your antimalware agents? Maybe you have some residual OS
> > 'instability' because of the consequences of damage/destabilization from
> > removal of previous malware.

> Zone Alarm and Spybot, but Spybot I run manually, which I'll do now.
> I haven't removed any malware recently, that I know of.

Ditch ZA, I used the older version of outpost free and surely the new
one is even better.

Turn off the ever present notifications or port scans etc, after
feeling comfortable that it is working right.

Even your ISP could be checking to see what ports may be open, and
could seem as an attack.

Heck **** flies all around constantly.

Note on ZA, I have seen it allow connections that had been
specifically blocked.

Note on outpost free, disallow it from calling home after installing,
as they are trying to get you interested in upgrading to the pay
version. Should be the first query to allow or disallow.

> >> It's on WinXP SP2.

> > How come you didn't up to SP3?
> >

> Because all seemed OK with SP2. Should I install SP3?

Yea, support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 started-->17-Sep-2004 13-
Jul-2010<-- ended