Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > desperate to figure this out - need progress bar (barber pole) to work

desperate to figure this out - need progress bar (barber pole) to work

SpamProof

I got an animated gif that is a barber pole spinning that I want to
use as a progress bar.

The problem is that is stops spinning (shows 1 frame) when my browser
is processing a submited request that might take 5-8 seconds.

I tried to putting the gif in a sepearate page and referencing it
using iframe thinking that if the gif is on another page & calling it
from my main page, it would not be affected by my submittals and
continue to give the spinning effect.

Does any one know how i can implement a progress bar (preferably
barber-pole) on a webpage.

Ticketmaster.com seems to do it. The thing is, I can't figure out if
they're really processing info while their progress bar spins while
nothing is being done & then simply redirects the user. Please look to
see what i am talking about... Look for some availiable tickets &
check to see if some seats are available and see how they simulate
this.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/07...&minorcatid=32

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

vMike

Here is an example of a progress. I adapted this from someone elses code so
I can't take credit for it, but maybe you can use it. It is javascript.

<%@ Control %>

Processing please wait ...

<script language="javascript">
var progressEnd = 9; // set to number of progress <span>'s.
var progressColor = 'blue'; // set to progress bar color
var progressInterval = 500; // set to time between updates (milli-seconds)

var progressAt = 0; //progressEnd;
var progressTimer;

function progress_clear() {
for (var i = 1; i <= progressEnd; i++)
document.getElementById('progress'+i).style.backgr oundColor = 'transparent';
progressAt = 0;
}
function progress_update() {
progressAt++;
{if (progressAt > progressEnd) {
progress_stop()
}
else

{document.getElementById('progress'+progressAt).st yle.backgroundColor =
progressColor
progressTimer = setTimeout('progress_update()',progressInterval);} }

}

function progress_stop() {
progress_clear();
window.clearTimeout(progressTimer);
// hideobj('waitingDiv','');
//hideobj('waiting','none')
}
function startMsg() {
// hideobj('waitingDiv','none');
progress_update();
}

function hideobj(objname,type) {
var div1=document.getElementById(objname);
div1.style.display = type;

}
</script>

"SpamProof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I got an animated gif that is a barber pole spinning that I want to
> use as a progress bar.
>
> The problem is that is stops spinning (shows 1 frame) when my browser
> is processing a submited request that might take 5-8 seconds.
>
> I tried to putting the gif in a sepearate page and referencing it
> using iframe thinking that if the gif is on another page & calling it
> from my main page, it would not be affected by my submittals and
> continue to give the spinning effect.
>
> Does any one know how i can implement a progress bar (preferably
> barber-pole) on a webpage.
>
> Ticketmaster.com seems to do it. The thing is, I can't figure out if
> they're really processing info while their progress bar spins while
> nothing is being done & then simply redirects the user. Please look to
> see what i am talking about... Look for some availiable tickets &
> check to see if some seats are available and see how they simulate
> this.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/07...&minorcatid=32

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> 7078895

SpamProof

Mike, thanx. If gotten ver for with this.

only thing, how do is get the progress bar to be in it's orginal state
like when the page 1st loads?

I have a link that calls you progress_update function to start the
process and show your progress bar but if when it's done, if the user
click the same link again, nothing happens.

Any advice?

/ra

"vMike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c0lm5c$k91$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> [...]
> > use as a progress bar.
> >
> > The problem is that is stops spinning (shows 1 frame) when my browser
> > is processing a submited request that might take 5-8 seconds.
> >
> > I tried to putting the gif in a sepearate page and referencing it
> > using iframe thinking that if the gif is on another page & calling it
> > from my main page, it would not be affected by my submittals and
> > continue to give the spinning effect.
> >
> > Does any one know how i can implement a progress bar (preferably
> > barber-pole) on a webpage.
> >
> > Ticketmaster.com seems to do it. The thing is, I can't figure out if
> > they're really processing info while their progress bar spins while
> > nothing is being done & then simply redirects the user. Please look to
> > see what i am talking about... Look for some availiable tickets &
> > check to see if some seats are available and see how they simulate

Sunwest Technologies

Please take a look at Web Progressor at

http://www.SunwestTek.com/wp

Hope this helps.