Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Web Gallery Software

Web Gallery Software

Mike Warren

I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.

These are the main things I'm after:

1/ Usable on my own web site.

2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in existence.

3/ Low cost.

4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can control
her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.

5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one is
non-negotiable.

6/ Fast.

7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.

8/ Configurable themes and colours.

9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
and have set up a test gallery to play with it:

http://mike-warren.net/test

It doesn't meet condition 2 above as it appears to rely on JAlbum. It's
also slow, like all Flash based galleries, but it seems to me that Flash
is active on more systems than JavaScript now days, and people mostly have
fast enough connections that this is not as important as it once was.

I have seen some commercial photographer sites that look very nice for
me, but I suspect that they were custom made as there are no links to
the software used.

Photography is only a hobby for my wife and I, and I do not want to spend
a lot of time creating and configuring our web galleries.

So much so that I haven't updated our main galleries since 2005.

--
- Mike

Mike Warren

Mike Warren wrote:

>I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for

Brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

--
- Mike

Mike Warren

Savageduck wrote:

>Here is an HTML gallery built with Lightroom. It could also be done with
>Bridge.
>
>Since this was not for serious publication, I kept it simple. It could be
>easily polished with links and other text added and it can be imbedded
>into a web site if needed.
>< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/Sites/WF...05w/index.html >

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that does not appear to meet any
of my requirements.

--
- Mike

tony cooper

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Warren"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
>several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
>
>These are the main things I'm after:
>
>1/ Usable on my own web site.
>
>2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in existence.
>
>3/ Low cost.
>
>4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can control
> her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
>
>5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one is
> non-negotiable.
>
>6/ Fast.
>
>7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
>
>8/ Configurable themes and colours.
>
>9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.
>
>The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
>and have set up a test gallery to play with it:
>
>http://mike-warren.net/test
>
>It doesn't meet condition 2 above as it appears to rely on JAlbum. It's
>also slow, like all Flash based galleries, but it seems to me that Flash
>is active on more systems than JavaScript now days, and people mostly have
>fast enough connections that this is not as important as it once was.
>
>I have seen some commercial photographer sites that look very nice for
>me, but I suspect that they were custom made as there are no links to
>the software used.
>
>Photography is only a hobby for my wife and I, and I do not want to spend
>a lot of time creating and configuring our web galleries.
>
>So much so that I haven't updated our main galleries since 2005.

To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Mike Warren

Mike Warren wrote:

>The closest I've found so far is FotoPlayer http://www.fotoplayer.com/
>and have set up a test gallery to play with it:
>
>http://mike-warren.net/test

I just noticed that the link doesn't take you directly to the gallery.

Click on "Photography" at the top of the page, which will take you
here: http://mike-warren.net/test/album.html

--
- Mike

Mike Warren

tony cooper wrote:

>To narrow down your requirements, have you considered replacing your
>current wife with one that is more computer savvy?

LOL! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

--
- Mike

Mike Warren

Russell D. wrote:

>Here's a big FWIW and maybe you don't care, but I usually don't spend
>much time on Flash sites. My hope is that HTML 5 will mean the demise of
>Flash.
>
>YMMV,

I agree to a large extent, but find it less of a problem in recent years
with fast broadband. Unless I have a particular need to see a site, it
has about 7 seconds to show itself or I've moved on.

--
- Mike

Mike Warren

N wrote:

>Do you intend to host the site yourself or have it hosted on a commercial
>server?

It's a hosted server with ixwebhosting.com.

--
- Mike

Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:

> I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
> several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
>
> These are the main things I'm after:
>
> 1/ Usable on my own web site.
>
> 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in
> existence.
>
> 3/ Low cost.
>
> 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can
> control her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
>
> 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one
> is non-negotiable.
>
> 6/ Fast.
>
> 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
>
> 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
>
> 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as your
wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code to
your favorite theme.

http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2ownload

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 13:07:42 +0200, Robert Spanjaard wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 02:43:54 +0000, Mike Warren wrote:
>
>> I have been on the lookout for some software web gallery software for
>> several years, but everything I find has things I don't like.
>>
>> These are the main things I'm after:
>>
>> 1/ Usable on my own web site.
>>
>> 2/ Must not be tied to some other site or company remaining in
>> existence.
>>
>> 3/ Low cost.
>>
>> 4/ A UI that allows easy uploading of photos and organization without
>> needing any particular computer skills. This is so my wife can
>> control her own gallery without needing to ask for help from me.
>>
>> 5/ Pictures automatically resize to fit in the browser window. This one
>> is non-negotiable.
>>
>> 6/ Fast.
>>
>> 7/ High compatibility with different browsers etc.
>>
>> 8/ Configurable themes and colours.
>>
>> 9/ Photo descriptions must allow for clickable links.

> Gallery2 seems to meet all your requirements. Dynamic resizing is not
> available on all themes, though. But if you're not as (un)skilled as
> your wife, there's nothing that stops you from copying the required code
> to your favorite theme.
>
> http://codex.gallery2.org/Gallery2ownload

And you might want to check your hoster's options before installing it
yourself. I see that ixwebhosting.com does support "Photo Galleries", but
it doesn't list which ones. My hoster (<http://www.flexwebhosting.com>,
the site is in Dutch only) has Gallery2 pre-installed, so all I needed to
do was tick a checkbox to put it on my site.

http://www.flexwebhosting.nl/index.php/cst/?id=13

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com