Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Flash, clouds, and Linux... insane or right?

Flash, clouds, and Linux... insane or right?

thanatoid

Hi gang.

I found this quite interesting.

The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid,
or simply right. About some of the things he mentions, or
about all of them.

I would be interested in seeing some comments.

=start quote=

Subject: Re: Warning about FLV files
From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.tv.shaggable.babes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:23:28 +0100, (E-Mail Removed)
> wrote:
>

> >This week Adobe admitted that both FLV and Acrobat contain
> >serious security flaws they are currently unable to fix.

> They just released a fix to Flash today, though not yet
> Acrobat or Reader. Update your Flash plugins, boys'n'girls.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6662
>
> >Acrobat is harder. It's become very useful. I know of no
> >viable alternative. The dangers of US monopolies strike
> >once more.

> There are alternative non-Adobe PDF viewers - Foxit on
> Windows, Ghostscript and friends on Linux, and builtin on
> Mac OSX. They're all far, far faster than the bloated
> shitware that is Reader, as well as being safer.
>
> There are "print to PDF" virtual printers for all those
> OSes also, to

NEVER EVER "update" anything online with automatic updaters.
NEVER EVER EVER do that for ANYTHING.

Remove all flash codecs.Simply having one installed on your
system is now a hazard. Trojans delivered in commercial
software are being used to activate it. NEVER connect to a
web site that uses flash if your system has flash installed
EVEN if you don't actively transfer any flash files. You have
been warned - AGAIN.

Further reports show FLASH being used to undelete files and
send them across the net. Again a BBC news report of
july/august for verification. They have not and cannot "fix"
flash. ANY format that mixes code and data is simply
unacceptable. Dont accept it. The ONLY reason for it is to
allow hacking. When will people learn.

NEVER install Linux. All Linux development has now been
secretly taken over by people with very dubious motives.Major
Linux distro's now upload data to the net without even
bothering to tell you. Other data is being uploaded encrypted
- clouds are just a front for corporate hackers. Wakey wakey
people.

=end quote=

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.

VanguardLH

thanatoid wrote:

> The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid,
> or simply right. About some of the things he mentions, or
> about all of them.
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6662
>
> NEVER EVER "update" anything online with automatic updaters.
> NEVER EVER EVER do that for ANYTHING.
>
> Remove all flash codecs.Simply having one installed on your
> system is now a hazard. Trojans delivered in commercial
> software are being used to activate it. NEVER connect to a
> web site that uses flash if your system has flash installed
> EVEN if you don't actively transfer any flash files. You have
> been warned - AGAIN.

So the posters are mixing 2 *different* document types: Flash content
(and the Flash AX control) and PDF files (using Adobe Reader).

The vulnerabilities are for Flash Player (the AX control used by your
web browser) version 10.1.53.64 and earlier. So why haven't you yet
updated the AX control? This scare is getting a bit long in the tooth.
While I wouldn't let Adobe Reader update itself, doesn't it still alert
you when there is an update to let you decide whether to install it or
not or when? The patch was released June 10, a month ago. The blog you
mentioned is dated the same day. Old news for users here alas there are
many users that don't update very often, update rarely, or even some
that never update. In fact, I've seen users post that they refuse to
update and don't give a **** about anyone else being afflicted with
their infected host because they'll just restore an image made just
after a clean install and start all over (and get infected all over
again). This is how I've seen some parents handle the computers they
give their kids: let the kids **** it up beyond usability while
progressively infecting it with their often illegal downloads and then
just wipe and restart with a baseline image. All the alerts aren't
going to affect these deliberately blind users.

For PDF, make sure to configure WHATEVER viewer app you use (Reader,
PDF-Xchange, FoxIt) to *not* allow Javascript execution within the .pdf
file. Then use a different viewer than Adobe's. I like PDF-Xchange.

Meat Plow

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 06:13:54 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

> Hi gang.
>
> I found this quite interesting.
>
> The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid, or simply
> right. About some of the things he mentions, or about all of them.
>
> I would be interested in seeing some comments.

Nuts.

攸hw不f

thanatoid wrote:
> Hi gang.
>
> I found this quite interesting.
>
> The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid,
> or simply right. About some of the things he mentions, or
> about all of them.
>
> I would be interested in seeing some comments.

I would be interested in seeing some cock.
Preferably spurting.

> =start quote=
>
> Subject: Re: Warning about FLV files
> From: (E-Mail Removed)
> Newsgroups: alt.binaries.tv.shaggable.babes
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:23:28 +0100, (E-Mail Removed)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This week Adobe admitted that both FLV and Acrobat contain
>>> serious security flaws they are currently unable to fix.

>> They just released a fix to Flash today, though not yet
>> Acrobat or Reader. Update your Flash plugins, boys'n'girls.
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6662
>>
>>> Acrobat is harder. It's become very useful. I know of no
>>> viable alternative. The dangers of US monopolies strike
>>> once more.

>> There are alternative non-Adobe PDF viewers - Foxit on
>> Windows, Ghostscript and friends on Linux, and builtin on
>> Mac OSX. They're all far, far faster than the bloated
>> shitware that is Reader, as well as being safer.
>>
>> There are "print to PDF" virtual printers for all those
>> OSes also, to

> NEVER EVER "update" anything online with automatic updaters.
> NEVER EVER EVER do that for ANYTHING.
>
> Remove all flash codecs.Simply having one installed on your
> system is now a hazard. Trojans delivered in commercial
> software are being used to activate it. NEVER connect to a
> web site that uses flash if your system has flash installed
> EVEN if you don't actively transfer any flash files. You have
> been warned - AGAIN.

Bluh bluh gluh...smeesh! Just use Gnash if yu dont liek Flash?

> Further reports show FLASH being used to undelete files and
> send them across the net. Again a BBC news report of
> july/august for verification. They have not and cannot "fix"
> flash. ANY format that mixes code and data is simply
> unacceptable. Dont accept it. The ONLY reason for it is to
> allow hacking. When will people learn.

Heh..."code injection"...heh eh heh heh he he heh...

> NEVER install Linux. All Linux development has now been
> secretly taken over by people with very dubious motives.Major
> Linux distro's now upload data to the net without even
> bothering to tell you. Other data is being uploaded encrypted
> - clouds are just a front for corporate hackers. Wakey wakey
> people.
>
> =end quote=

Not quite. I found one version of linux that did "call home" in ways I
didnt like. So I wiped it off me drive. But other than that one
instance, all groovy.

chuckcar

thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Hi gang.
>
> I found this quite interesting.
>
> The author is either a complete lunatic, somewhat paranoid,
> or simply right. About some of the things he mentions, or
> about all of them.
>
> I would be interested in seeing some comments.
>
> =start quote=
>
> Subject: Re: Warning about FLV files
> From: (E-Mail Removed)
> Newsgroups: alt.binaries.tv.shaggable.babes
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:23:28 +0100, (E-Mail Removed)
>> wrote:
>>

>> >This week Adobe admitted that both FLV and Acrobat contain
>> >serious security flaws they are currently unable to fix.

>> They just released a fix to Flash today, though not yet
>> Acrobat or Reader. Update your Flash plugins, boys'n'girls.
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6662
>>
>> >Acrobat is harder. It's become very useful. I know of no
>> >viable alternative. The dangers of US monopolies strike
>> >once more.

>> There are alternative non-Adobe PDF viewers - Foxit on
>> Windows, Ghostscript and friends on Linux,

Actually Ghostscript is postscript. xpdf is the pdf viewer.

> and builtin on
>> Mac OSX. They're all far, far faster than the bloated
>> shitware that is Reader, as well as being safer.
>>
>> There are "print to PDF" virtual printers for all those
>> OSes also, to

> NEVER EVER "update" anything online with automatic updaters.
> NEVER EVER EVER do that for ANYTHING.
>
> Remove all flash codecs.Simply having one installed on your
> system is now a hazard. Trojans delivered in commercial
> software are being used to activate it. NEVER connect to a
> web site that uses flash if your system has flash installed
> EVEN if you don't actively transfer any flash files. You have
> been warned - AGAIN.
>
> Further reports show FLASH being used to undelete files and
> send them across the net. Again a BBC news report of
> july/august for verification. They have not and cannot "fix"
> flash. ANY format that mixes code and data is simply
> unacceptable. Dont accept it. The ONLY reason for it is to
> allow hacking. When will people learn.
>
> NEVER install Linux. All Linux development has now been
> secretly taken over by people with very dubious motives.Major
> Linux distro's now upload data to the net without even
> bothering to tell you. Other data is being uploaded encrypted
> - clouds are just a front for corporate hackers. Wakey wakey
> people.

LOL. Sounds like someone out there need to take their meds again. That
last paragraph is pure nonsence - short of trojans and spyware doing
such of course.

Some kid giving his completely uninformed opinion is my guess. Quite
possibly due to genuine concern, but certainly not informed concern.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Aardvark

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:18:02 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> nonsence

WTF?????

--
"It must make life pretty easy having a selective-hearing filter in your
head. That way everybody turns out to be exactly what your first

thanatoid

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 20:18:02 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>That last paragraph is pure nonsence

> Where do you come up with this stuff, idiot?
>
> Seriously.

OK, I assume both you and Aardvark are talking about chuckcar's
spelling skills.

What do you think about my OP and his reply (never mind the
spelling)?

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.

thanatoid

Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i3n7qf$it0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:18:02 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>
>> nonsence

> WTF?????

OK, I assume both you and Evan are talking about chuckcar's
spelling skills.

What do you think about my OP and his reply (never mind the
spelling)?

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.

thund3rstruck

攸hw不f wrote:
<snip>
> Not quite. I found one version of linux that did "call home" in ways I
> didnt like. So I wiped it off me drive. But other than that one
> instance, all groovy.

Out of curiosity, which version was that?

n0i

攸hw不f

thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> pinched out a steaming pile
of<8dcf0$4c5f7578$4a533956$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>攸hw不f wrote:
><snip>
>> Not quite. I found one version of linux that did "call home" in ways

>> didnt like. So I wiped it off me drive. But other than that one
>> instance, all groovy.
>>

> Out of curiosity, which version was that?
>
> n0i

MEPIS