Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: python interview quuestions

Re: python interview quuestions

Paul Rubin

geremy condra <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I can't recall who it was, but I remember being very impressed by a
> company that did a variant of this a few years ago: they put
> programming problems on the sides of pay phones, taxis, etc. with a
> note that said 'If you can solve this, call us'. I have zero doubt
> that they got some top talent that way.

Several companies have done that. You might be thinking of ITA
Software:

http://www.itasoftware.com/careers/puzzle_archive.html

Peter

On Aug 11, 8:50*pm, Tim Chase <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 08/11/10 01:24, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> > On 8/10/2010 8:08 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
> >> In any case, if the candidate were to submit somebody else's
> >> work, it would come out pretty quickly as we discussed their
> >> code. *I suppose one question I might ask would be, "Can you
> >> explain why, when I copy-paste one of your comments into a
> >> google search box, your entire program appears?"

> > Mostly likely because I wrote the original...

> > would be my answer.

> Unfortunately there are candidates who would give your answer but
> then have trouble with "Then why are the Last-Modified HTTP
> headers showing a date several months before our interview?"
> It's as bad as the phone-interviews I've done where in the
> background I can hear the person on the other end typing my
> questions into a search box and reading off answers. *On the
> bright side, those are short interviews...
>
> -tkc

I know we are straying somewhat here But as an interviewer way
back when in the never-never, I used to look at the interviewee's work
history i.e. 18 months here, 12 months there, 6 months here etc and
pretty much wipe them from my short-list based on that alone
Because it takes at least 3 months for a programmer to get "up to
speed" fitting into your company and on your applications, they are
usually only really productive and really "hitting their stride" at 6
months - somebody who "job hops" will already be looking for the next
job by that time!

I really did't have time to waste on these people - then there was the
agents fee for finding them for you - big investment for zero return.

So I would recommend to anybody that they attempt to maintain a stable
work history in this respect. For example, my personal work history is
8, 7.5, 8.5, 0.5, 3, 3, 8 (years that is). My current company is
extremely stable, I enjoy the work, so I don't see any reason why I
won't be here until I retire (or die at my desk - whichever comes
first ).

Peter

Simon Brunning

On 11 August 2010 13:34:09 UTC+1, Steven D'Aprano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Getting interviewees to do a take-home problem just means you hire the
> guy who is friends with a good programmer, rather than the good
> programmer.

We give a take-home problem. If we like the code we see, we invite the
candidate to come in and pair with one of our devs in adding a simple
feature or two to their own code. It's time consuming, but not so time
consuming as hiring a weak dev.

--
Cheers,
Simon B.