Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Blender

Blender

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i3j9hr$fvi$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:

> My lad saw blender being used, decided it looked like a Good Thing (TM)
> and googled some tutorials for it. He nowhas it pretty well mastered and
> is creating some impressive stuff after a not (apparently) huge learning
> curve.

This is one case where a GUI environment that supports multiple desktops is
practically essential. Blender wants to run full-screen, because it has its
own way of managing its workspace, and you’ll be much more productive if you
learn how to exploit that, rather than try to fight it.

So I give Blender its own desktop, with a bunch of Iceweasel/Firefox windows
open on another desktop, where I can watch/read the tutorials and consult
the documentation etc. When I come to something I should try out, I can
pause the video if necessary, switch to Blender, do things there and see how
they work, then come back to continue with the tutorial.

I also set a disappearing taskbar to reduce the clutter. That way I can have
a screen which is all Blender and nothing else.

Gib Bogle

impossible wrote:

> I have no doubt he, along will millions of others looking for the best
> tools, will choose Autodesk or Dassault over someone's spare-time coding
> project.

I hate to say it, but you seem to have entered this discussion for reasons that
have a lot to do with emotion and not much to do with logic.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <i4sqp2$sq$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>impossible wrote:
>
>> I have no doubt he, along will millions of others looking for the best
>> tools, will choose Autodesk or Dassault over someone's spare-time coding
>> project.

>I hate to say it, but you seem to have entered this discussion for reasons that
>have a lot to do with emotion and not much to do with logic.

LOL. Have you met impossible ? ... in any case, you have pretty much defined
it in a word or 2.

Please, do not fed the trolls.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Interesting to read <http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/139454> about
some of the positive consequences of the feature productions done by the
Blender folks. Besides driving development and QA of Blender itself, the
ability for others to reuse Free content allows for applications that are
simply not possible with regular “commercial” productions:

Elephants Dream is used as reference video for high definition work,
since it is available without licensing. "Microsoft made a special
Xbox version of it, downloading files from the Ogg guys Web site,"
[Roosendaal] says, "and later asked me for original HDR frames.
Encoding stuff, you know, these guys want original material,
something they will never get from Pixar."

And many of the industry players the Institute worked with on Big
Buck Bunny have benefitted directly from the final product, such as
the printing company that provided the theatrical film version. "We
get free 35mm copies of BBB, the film printing business then uses it
for promotion, reference, and for tests. The composer: free music,
he uses it for promotion and further tests. If you work in licensed
content, everyone locks up everything with the result that nobody
can do anything with it."

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Here’s another one, about using Blender as a non-linear video editor
<http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/openmovieeditor-and-blender-more-nle-delights>.
It synchronizes with JACK, which means you can use a single master
transport (like QJackCtl) to play and scrub video in Blender and audio
in a pro audio-editing tool like Ardour at the same time, keeping both
perfectly in sync.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i3fvid$2b9$(E-Mail Removed)>, I wrote:

... why is only the [cloth simulator] able to be influenced by
“fields” (e.g. a wind source), but not the [soft-body simulator]?

I was wrong. The cloth simulator CAN be influenced by wind. I just
hadn’t turned the wind up strong enough.

Now to figure out how to keep the flag from flying away...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i5af3b$v79$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Now to figure out how to keep the flag from flying away...

Figured it out. I had “soft body” turned on as well. Disable that, and the
flag flutters nicely in place.