Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problems when connected via VPN to company server

Problems when connected via VPN to company server

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vs?=

As soon as I connect to my VPN ability to send attachments with e Mail, via
my wifi connection to my router disappears.(802.11g}

If I cable connect to router {Linksys WAG54G} it's fine, which is NOT always
convenient.
Can find no settings on router that seem to cause, and neither can Linksys
assist; any clues valued?

I note that even using wifi connection to poll router is impossible as soon
as the Equant VPN connection is active.

Thanks
--
Berkshire, Thames Valley UK~
Home of Inspector Morse

Dave

if i understand what you are trying to say it sounds like normal vpn
operation. with most vpn's once you connect to the remote server you lose
access to the local network you started on. this is normal, the vpn becomes
the default route for all ip traffic thus making you part of the remote
network. this normally makes your local lan inaccessible since your remote
network doesn't know how to route back to it. i have heard of some ways to
play with routing tables to get access to both, but have never been
successful with that here.

"Gel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As soon as I connect to my VPN ability to send attachments with e Mail,
> via
> my wifi connection to my router disappears.(802.11g}
>
> If I cable connect to router {Linksys WAG54G} it's fine, which is NOT
> always
> convenient.
> Can find no settings on router that seem to cause, and neither can Linksys
> assist; any clues valued?
>
> I note that even using wifi connection to poll router is impossible as
> soon
> as the Equant VPN connection is active.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Berkshire, Thames Valley UK~
> Home of Inspector Morse

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vs?=

Thanks 4 that.
I notice its kocks over any webmail page I may be on at time, and have to
relog in.
Installed e mail client is Lotus Notes & both it, & webmail, on the wifi
connection
won't let me send attachments.
--
Berkshire, Thames Valley UK~
Home of Inspector Morse

"Dave" wrote:

> if i understand what you are trying to say it sounds like normal vpn
> operation. with most vpn's once you connect to the remote server you lose
> access to the local network you started on. this is normal, the vpn becomes
> the default route for all ip traffic thus making you part of the remote
> network. this normally makes your local lan inaccessible since your remote
> network doesn't know how to route back to it. i have heard of some ways to
> play with routing tables to get access to both, but have never been
> successful with that here.
>
> "Gel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As soon as I connect to my VPN ability to send attachments with e Mail,
> > via
> > my wifi connection to my router disappears.(802.11g}
> >
> > If I cable connect to router {Linksys WAG54G} it's fine, which is NOT
> > always
> > convenient.
> > Can find no settings on router that seem to cause, and neither can Linksys
> > assist; any clues valued?
> >
> > I note that even using wifi connection to poll router is impossible as
> > soon
> > as the Equant VPN connection is active.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Berkshire, Thames Valley UK~
> > Home of Inspector Morse

Dave

yes, it would kill any webmail or other servers you are connected to when
you start the vpn becuase suddenly your network is no longer accessible.
when you log back in it is going through the vpn and back out from the other
end of the vpn so it looks like a new connection. i don't know why the wifi
would affect the sending of attachments, maybe there is some other problem.